Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Brandberg, Namiba crystal inclusion photos (Read 6347 times)
amguy
Ex Member

Brandberg, Namiba crystal inclusion photos
Feb 7th, 2011 at 1:52pm
Print Post  
Here are some pics I took a long time ago of some inclusions in Brandberg crystals.  Scott I know you are a self-collected specimen fan but I truly think Brandbergs fit your bill and would be one of the few purchased stones I could see you getting.  It is quartz so i know that helps especially when you had to break the rules and buy certain quartz habits(hehehe Grin)

Brandbergs are the most fantastic quartz crystals there are, in my opinion.  I always think of this quote when looking at Brandbergs..it was written by Astrid about opals "There are worlds in an opal" Same thing applies to these crystals and pretty much all Brandbergs due to the fantastic 2 and 3 phase inclusions and inclusion patterns.  Take note of the first picture and the line in the middle.  thats the angle switch between euhedral crystal faces.  You can see how the light refraction gives a double image of that inclusion.

brandberg_inclusions_1.jpg ( 103 KB | 95 Downloads )
brandberg_inclusions_1.jpg
brandberg_inclusions_2.jpg ( 97 KB | 93 Downloads )
brandberg_inclusions_2.jpg
brandberg_inclusions_3.jpg ( 115 KB | 86 Downloads )
brandberg_inclusions_3.jpg

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Re: Brandberg, Namiba crystal inclusion photos
Reply #1 - Mar 9th, 2011 at 8:13am
Print Post  
Very nice pictures amguy.  I do love the Brandberg crystals and have been searching far and wide for an affordable specimen that has all the characteristics.  I don't think I'm going to find an "affordable" one, so eventually I'll have to just bite the bullet.  Thanks for the pictures.

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

dave

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #2 - Mar 9th, 2011 at 1:44pm
Print Post  
i know they're not exactly the same...but we can get close scott....with these mud included quartz from Catawba County..

DSCN1769.JPG ( 64 KB | 96 Downloads )
DSCN1769.JPG

IP Logged

amguy
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Mar 9th, 2011 at 3:56pm
Print Post  
That is sweet, Dave.  Looks like a huge chunk of mud in there.  Can you get some closer shots?

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Reply #4 - Mar 9th, 2011 at 6:04pm
Print Post  
That's a beauty.  I really love that mud included stuff and I've been wanting to get my hands on some of that for a while now.  I wonder if I could get some at Laurie's.  ( http://www.theadamscollection.com/page/page/5192909.htm )

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

Dennis

Beryl is good!

Reply #5 - Mar 10th, 2011 at 8:34am
Print Post  
Since Dave opened the can of mud, I thought I would share three mud inclusion specimens that I have.

The first two specimens are from Cleveland Co. and the last one is from Catawba Co.

Lattimore, Cleveland Co., NC.  Acquired from the late Floyd Wilson collection, Micaville, NC.

Lattimore, Cleveland Co., NC.

Tate Boulevard Industrial Park, Hickory, Catawba Co., NC

Tate Boulevard Industrial Park, Hickory, Catawba Co., NC.  Same specimen as above, different angle.

I have seen some very large cabinet specimens of mud included quartz from Alexander Co. (Hiddenite and surrounding area) and Cleveland Co.  Unfortunately, my specimens are all miniatures (< 2").

Keep the inclusions coming.  It's nice to see the world inside of crystals.

Dennis

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Reply #6 - Mar 10th, 2011 at 2:35pm
Print Post  
Thanks for posting those great specimens Dennis.  I didn't realize you had such a great collection of quartz.  But with each new picture you post I'm becoming more enlightened to this.

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

Dennis

Beryl is good!

Reply #7 - Mar 10th, 2011 at 6:32pm
Print Post  
Scott,

Thanks for the comments.  I have a modest collection of North Carolina quartz specimens representing the different varieties in various crystal forms.  Beryl, quartz, and mica (and radioactives to some degree) have been favorites of mine since I started collecting minerals (personally collected or purchased) in 1959. 

My NC mineral collection is in the neighborhood of 600+ specimens, if I count the nearly 200 individual rubies and sapphires I collected in Macon Co. during the 1980s and early 90s. 

The remainder of my collection (200+ specimens) represent many US states and a number of countries worldwide.  My fossil collection is around 250 specimens, and my Native American projectile points and artifacts number around 150 pieces.

So, I have enough specimens to post many photos over the next few years, but will refrain from doing so as not to bore people or hog the forum.  If anyone has any requests for certain species just let me know.  I have a good sampling of thulite, rutile, garnets, and other species from various localities.

Come visit sometime and take a gander at the collection.....3 curio cases and 1 Chinese library cabinet full of specimens.

Dennis

IP Logged

amguy
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Apr 19th, 2011 at 9:38am
Print Post  
crystal those inclusions shots were from

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #9 - Apr 19th, 2011 at 1:32pm
Print Post  
Thanks, AG, I needed that. Smiley

IP Logged

dave

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #10 - Apr 19th, 2011 at 2:11pm
Print Post  
Dennis,

I'm always up for seeing corundum specimen pics. No arguments here for posting as many pics as you can... (i'm not paying the bandwidth Smiley I really enjoyed the Mincey Mine piece you posted on DR.

IP Logged

Dennis

Beryl is good!

Reply #11 - Apr 19th, 2011 at 5:54pm
Print Post  
Dave,

Thanks for the comments.  I felt very fortunate to get that Mincey Mine crystal.  I'm really surprised that there were no responses to that post on DR.  There are a lot of corundum folks over there.

I got the specimen from George Drakulic, a member of the Tar Heel Gem & Mineral Club, who collected it in 1986.  That may be the last time any specimens came out of that mine. 

When I get more time I will post some of my other NC mineral specimens.  I have a nice series of radioactives (U and REE species) that some may want to see, as well as a few more quartz, thulite (clinothulite), rutile and others.

Dennis

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint