Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Recent video camera purchase (Read 2256 times)
Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Recent video camera purchase
Feb 23rd, 2011 at 2:14pm
Print Post  
I just purchased a MinoHD 8GB - 2 hour recording time, from Flip Video.  After thinking long and hard about getting an expensive video camera with all the bells and whistles I came to the realization that what I really needed was something that was quick and easy to use in the field -- small, and no moving parts.  I've already had to repair my last video camera once and it's on its way out again already.  My suspicions are that it is the result of dirt, sand, or clay getting into the small delicate parts of the camera.  Since the Flip Video is all flash memory, there will be no tapes to change or buy.  I wont have to worry about dirt getting inside it since there's nothing to open up.  Also, the relative affordable price makes me much less worried about it getting ruined somehow out in the field.  Although my iPhone makes a very decent video camera, it does not have high resolution capability.  An HD resolution video will allow for much finer detail for the purpose of showing small crystals, small geologic features such as foliation, or even inclusions within a crystal.  Also this MinoHD has image stabilization which will make the videos smoother.  Well I'll let everyone here be the judge.  It is my goal to begin making more videos and I'm sure you will soon see a production created with this new toy on the RHL.
« Last Edit: Feb 23rd, 2011 at 8:39pm by Scott LaBorde »  

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

amguy
Ex Member

Re: Recent video camera purchase
Reply #1 - Feb 24th, 2011 at 1:46am
Print Post  
Yes please fill me in on how it does.  I will need one in the future for travels and with you being the guinea pig with the flip video mcam that will let me know if it can hold up to the rigors of the road.  Cool can't wait to hear more info on it.

IP Logged

amguy
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Apr 13th, 2011 at 11:16pm
Print Post  
Well, how does it work?  Is it good?  They just discontinued the Flip cameras yesterday said Cisco.  I will need a decent video camera here soon

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Reply #3 - Apr 14th, 2011 at 8:48am
Print Post  
Well here is my opinion with it.  It shoots very sharp pictures and it's easy to use.  There's no changing of batteries, or media, and I don't have to worry too much about dirt and dust getting inside and ruining things.  But, the bad part is that it does not have a macro ability and therefore things that are closer than about 2.5 ft. can never be completely in focus.  Well unfortunately that isn't a good thing for many things I want in this hobby.  I will no doubt continue using it, however, it will mainly be used as backup until I find something similar that will take HD and macro.  Looks like I'm going to have to lay down some cash after all.

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

amguy
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Apr 14th, 2011 at 11:59am
Print Post  
Good to know..thanks for the input.  Helps to have someone give you insight on a purchase like that....especially when I am  interested in something similar

IP Logged

amguy
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Apr 28th, 2011 at 9:40pm
Print Post  
After hearing about your flip camera and it's problems with macro and the fact they quit producing them I went to my buddy jamey over at GA and asked him what he thought a good camera that took video was.  He taught me most of what I know about photoing gems and the little nuiances and tricks certain cameras do and don't do.

This was the question posed:

"Jamey, do you have a recommendation or suggestion on a decent video camera or camera that takes video?  I want one that would be good for outdoor use.  My buddy Scott just got the Flip for the simple reason that it has few moving parts and is fairly solid.  His other camera got jacked up twice from getting dirt in it from being out in the field.  Well, now they discontinued the flip plus he said it didn't do close-ups very well.  Do you have any suggestions?

and the responses from him..
"Panasonic is still tops for both still and hd video in a p & s camera. But Pentax makes a nice impact, dust, and waterproof camera now.

This would be first choice:
http://www.adorama.com/IPCDMCTS3SL.html

Second:
http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-Adventure-Waterproof-Digital-Wide-Angle/dp/B004MKNJEI/

Olympus also makes one, cheaper price, but not very well reviewed, very slow camera.
P.s. The Panasonic also is resistant to cold temps.

and then he added

"Here's the details..

Panasonic:
Image stabilization: Optical
Lens focal length    28 – 128 mm
Macro focus range    5 cm (1.97")
Maximum aperture    F3.3 - F5.9
Format    MPEG4   
Audio channels    Mono   
Clips    Yes (1920 x 1080 (60 fps), 1280 x 720 (60, 30 fps), 640 x 480 (30 fps), 320 x 240 (30 fps))
http://www.dpreview.com/products/panasonic/compacts/panasonic_dmcts3

Pentax:
Image stabilization    No
Macro focus range    1 cm (.39")
Lens focal length    28 – 140 mm
Format    MotionJPEG   
Audio channels    Mono   
Clips    Yes (1280 x 720 (30, 15 fps), 640 x 480 (30, 15 fps), 320 x 240 (30, 15 fps))
http://www.dpreview.com/products/pentax/compacts/pentax_optiowg1

What this means is the Panasonic does true 1080 HD where as the Pentax only does 720 and uses MotionJPEG which is an inferior method. The Panasonic has image stabilization to allow clear shots in lower light where the Pentax does not. The Panasonic only focuses as close as 1.97" where as the Pentax focuses as close as .39", but this does not necessarily mean the Pentax macros will be larger then the Panasonic, sadly neither lists the magnification they offer. .

Sample Panasonic videos:
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Panasonic+Lumix+DMC-TS3+samples&aq=f

Sample Pentax:
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Pentax+Optio+WG-1+samples&aq=f

So on the surface the Pentax probably takes a better macro but everything else is leaps and bounds better on the Panasonic." 

Hope this helps.  I am going to probably get one of tghese here in the future if possible..unless Scott finds another one he really likes

« Last Edit: Apr 28th, 2011 at 11:53pm by »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint