Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Meteorites (Read 1152 times)
Rebecca
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Meteorites
Jun 20th, 2011 at 1:56pm
Print Post  
I have heard there are meteorites in the far corner of SE TN. A friend of my Dad's has found some down there. Can a kind someone give me some pointers for researching sites and hunting them? I think I remember someone saying there is a website that has a list of locations that were hit.

I think my Dad would really like to do this too. He likes rocks, but had a stroke a few years ago and doesn't have enough mobility or strength for digging. I think my 7 year old son would love it too - and it would be wonderful if they can do it together.
I do have a metal detector.
Thanks!

IP Logged

Rebecca
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Re: Meteorites
Reply #1 - Jun 20th, 2011 at 2:44pm
Print Post  
I just found this site: http://www.passc.net/EarthImpactDatabase/index.html
It has no mention of impacts in Polk county, TN. hmmm.

My Dad's friend said there was one in the ground as big as car. So my Dad said, "translate that to the size of a garbage can."  Smiley
Either way, it would be super cool to find it and document it. Yeah! New semi-local adventures!

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #2 - Jun 21st, 2011 at 9:23am
Print Post  
Reb, Did you see Johns' last reply in the intro section?
He provides some info about local impacts.
Joe

IP Logged

Rebecca
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #3 - Jun 21st, 2011 at 11:07am
Print Post  
Thanks Joe. I think that is what got me started on this. I think those "local" places are in NC. I will re-read anyway.

I want to investigate a couple of "sightings" reported to me in TN. One guy swears he saw one go over his house, very near and is convinced it hit somewhere. Another person told me he knows where one is in the ground south of here.

I just want to hunt and it seems there isn't much to hunt in E Tn in the way of minerals. I haven't really thought they were beautiful, but they are definitely interesting. I am hoping to find some of the "stony" ones that might contain..you guessed it...crystallization! They might have olivine or be tektites. Or it would just be cool to have something that was galactic...that would be super funky!  Grin

I need to find another database of impact sites, strewn fields, etc.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint