Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Clay Included Quartz (Read 6828 times)
Dennis

Beryl is good!

Clay Included Quartz
Jun 26th, 2011 at 1:47pm
Print Post  
Two weekends ago I had to attend a family reunion in Black Mountain.  As luck would have it, the annual gem and mineral show was taking place at the Colburn Mineral Museum in Asheville.  I was able to use the free afternoon on Saturday to go to Asheville.  I was able to pick up another specimen of clay (mud) included quartz from Hickory.

Below are some photos of the specimen with a few comments.  I would like to get some feed back on what you see, and would especially like to hear from John F. who recently joined the forum since he has so much experience in the Hickory/Tate Boulevard area.

This specimen has a lot of stuff going on, or it did during melting, recrystalization, and post-crystalization.  It does not show, but a few minor crystal faces.  It exhibits a smooth fracturing structure, cavities that may have been liquid filled and exploded during freezing and thawing, parallel growth formation that the clay invaded, and much more.  I have been researching this some and have some good explanations by J.T. Humphreys that did a lot of intitial work in Hickory (1875-1880), and A.C. Bates that amassed excellent quartz from Lincoln Co. (mid 1890s).

Here are the photos:

This is what I consider the display side of the specimen.  Note the stepped triangular growth on the front.

A closeup of the stepped growth.

The bottom side showing a large cavity and some parallel growth.

A closeup of the cavity area.  It definitely looks as if it exploded at some point.

Another view of the parallel growth with clay invaded.

It is hard to determine how much of the clay was included a long time ago, or if it is of more recent origin......after the crystal exploded and opened more cavities.

It's not the most aesthetic quartz, but it has a lot of oddity and mystery which I like.  Enjoy.

Dennis

IP Logged

Rebecca
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Re: Clay Included Quartz
Reply #1 - Jun 27th, 2011 at 10:31am
Print Post  
very cool. i like those too. thanks for showing!

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Reply #2 - Jun 27th, 2011 at 3:27pm
Print Post  
From what I have read on skeleton quartz, the edges grow quicker than the faces and therefor the edges stand out like frames of a window.  Skeleton quartz develops very quickly.  AKA fenster quartz, or window quartz.

They apparently grow in an environment with rapidly falling temperatures and/or pressures.

Here's my source of information  (Skeleton Quartz):

http://www.quartzpage.de/gro_text.html#fensterquarz
« Last Edit: Jul 2nd, 2011 at 10:44pm by Scott LaBorde »  

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

Dennis

Beryl is good!

Reply #3 - Jul 1st, 2011 at 1:30pm
Print Post  

Scott,

Thanks for that reference.  I have had it bookmarked for a few years, but never seem to access it.  My specimen looks very similar to some of the photos on the quartz website.  It is by far the strangest of any clay included quartz that I have.

Dennis

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #4 - Jul 1st, 2011 at 10:34pm
Print Post  
I can believe that! Wink

Thanks for all the great pics of that piece, Dennis.
I would call that "Accordion" Habit.

Have a great weekend!
Joe

IP Logged

John Frazier

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #5 - Jul 2nd, 2011 at 12:53pm
Print Post  
Dennis great pics of the clay inclusions.  I did have the pleasure of collecting at Tate Blvd. during the time that the grading was being done in 1989.  It was a wild time.  The crews would let us start digging about six when they got their equipement parked.  Some of us even brought in lights for night work.  There are folks that did more digging there than I did.  But during the dig we did find the mud included quartz, amethyst, beryl, acquamarine, rutile, rutilated quartz etc., it was a great collecting experience. 
  Glad to hear that you got to go to the Asheville Show.  I did not even think about it this year.   Send me your email address at rutile@charter.net and I will send you a pick of scepters collected at Tate.  Pic is too big to send here.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint