Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic pebble pup checking in (Read 2683 times)
mobjack68?
YaBB Newbies

pebble pup checking in
Sep 19th, 2011 at 8:14am
Print Post  
Never looked for a rockhound forum...stumbled on you guys this am, had to get registered. Located in Western East Virginia...Grew up in East East Virginia, still feel the pull of the salt water. Been collecting since jr hi school where I spent 2 years in Connecticut. Rock and mineral club was very active and we spent many happy hours in the tailings of the mica mines there. I was hooked.
We just took a 2 week trip to Yellowstone where I managed to bring back about 150 lbs of assorted volcanic debris and agates. AND NO, of course I did NOT violate the NO-COLLECTING rules..  Wink

how old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Re: pebble pup checking in
Reply #1 - Sep 19th, 2011 at 8:42am
Print Post  
Yes, it is great to have an active club.  It can mean the difference between creating a "rockhounds" or catering to people with just a mild interest or who just want to sit around socialize.  I'm familiar with many people in the latter category.   I have no problem with those type of people, but the "rockhounding" experience is very important in my opinion.

We'd love to see some of your finds from Yellowstone.  Looks like with 150 lbs of rocks you've got plenty you can show us.   Grin Virginia has some very interesting rocks to be found -- especially the Western part.

Welcome to the RHL mobjack68.

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

mobjack68?
YaBB Newbies

Reply #2 - Sep 19th, 2011 at 11:28am
Print Post  
Scott LaBorde wrote on Sep 19th, 2011 at 8:42am:
Yes, it is great to have an active club.  It can mean the difference between creating a "rockhounds" or catering to people with just a mild interest or who just want to sit around socialize.  I'm familiar with many people in the latter category.   I have no problem with those type of people, but the "rockhounding" experience is very important in my opinion.

We'd love to see some of your finds from Yellowstone.  Looks like with 150 lbs of rocks you've got plenty you can show us.   Grin Virginia has some very interesting rocks to be found -- especially the Western part.

Welcome to the RHL mobjack68. 

appreciate the welcome, I can post some pics. We DROVE from Va to Wyoming, I stopped in every creek and outcropping along the way. Landforms and topography out there are really weird, at least by BlueRidge standards..(like there any other standards..) Most everything I looked at was volcanic, learned about the Yellowstone "supervolcano" which made sense of a lot of it. When we descended, the sedimentary layers were pretty unremarkable although I didn't get much off the beaten path. Some of the major roads out there cut thru some neat looking stratigraphy, but again, not much to include in the report.
I did bring back some stuff I need to cut, I wanna see what's inside...but I will post some pics.
I would much rather pick up rocks than be schooled on Robert's Rules....even rocks along the railroad tracks...

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #3 - Sep 19th, 2011 at 8:45pm
Print Post  
Welcome mobjack,
that sounds like a heck of a trip! Smiley
It's another world out there all right.
There's a lot of good rock in Virginia but we just don't seem
to make it up there much. I would really like to collect some
of the cherts someday.

Thanks for dropping in,
Joe

IP Logged

mobjack68?
YaBB Newbies

Reply #4 - Sep 20th, 2011 at 12:45pm
Print Post  
Hey Joe, the Native Americans liked the chert in Alleghany and Greenbrier counties as well....most of the arrowheads found around here were chipped from it. I took a couple of chunks of chert to my wife's cousin in Smithfield (va) so he could try his hand at making arrowheads.
The stuff is abundant in the river behind my house ranges in color from whit-ish to red and some yellow, if you fancy collecting your own...okay...if you just want the chert?? I can take some pics, make it like an online shopping trip (w/o having to pay 3 prices for something)...of course, ship and handling will be on you (they are still ROCKS, after all), But Wait!!  If you order in the next 10 minutes we will DOUBLE your order...or TRIPLE your order..or..or.. Whew, got stuck there for a minute...
My daughter lives in Durham, on the CH side, we make regular trips back and forth, box of rocks would not be hard to explain, might get it that much closer to you??

Anyway, thanks for the shout. I'm in this "rock thing" for the long haul...so many rocks, so little time..

Anybody here doing any lapidary work??  or SERIOUS cutting?? (BIG stuff)

IP Logged

John Frazier

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #5 - Sep 20th, 2011 at 1:03pm
Print Post  
Joe, Smiley it reminds me of Ocean Jasper from Madagascar.

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #6 - Sep 20th, 2011 at 5:22pm
Print Post  
Hey John, Wrong thread Wink, but yes, it should look like the
Ocean Jasper from Madagascar because that's Spherulitic
Rhyolite, too.

So you're way up there in Alleghany County, mobjack?
There's lots of good rock hounding to do up there. If you're
into this for the "long haul" you ought to get that book
"Minerals of Virginia, 1990", by Dietrich. You can get it
online thru the Virginia Dept of Mines and it's full of good
information and leads.

Virginia has a lot of cherts, agates, and jaspers, and I
wouldn't mind seeing them all. Your "television" offer
sounds great Smiley, but maybe we could meet one of the trips
you make to the Triangle. That sounds easiest,(cheapest).
I would love to see an assortment.
Actually, I thought you were closer to the coast. I have
been wanting to get up into this area to collect chert for
a while now,
http://lithiccastinglab.com/gallery-pages/2009novembercactushillpage1.htm

Got to run out to a rock club meeting tonight
so I'll talk to you later,
Joe

IP Logged

mobjack68?
YaBB Newbies

Reply #7 - Oct 10th, 2011 at 3:47pm
Print Post  
Hey Joe..back at ya..
need to relay an experience I had many moons ago on the coast. I grew up in the shadow of the Ches Bay Bridge Tunnel, spent a lot of hours on the beach there. While in college (Old Dominion) I lived about 4 miles from where I grew up and a little closer to the Lesner Bridge (Lynnhaven Inlet). I did fiberglass/boat repair to support myself thru college and being in that area meant I was exposed to a lot of "boat people" One of those folks, whom I had done boat repair for, invited my wife and I to "go digging".
It seems that there was some expansion approved for an area along the Lynnhaven River....man made cut from Broad Bay to the Lynnhaven Inlet. Anyway, when the original cut was made, they brought a sand dredge in and just "blew" the sand/salt water mix up onto the property on one side of the cut. Made it about 10' higher than the other side...anyway, we got the necessary tools together with some screens and sifting equipment and after work one Saturday we hiked the 30' or so from the parking spaces provided by the boat hotel, we set up shop. Opened and adult beverage and started digging. About 5' down, we ran into a dark layer of sediment in the sand...almost like a hydrogen sulfide line at the "real" beach...just below that line, we started sifting.
It seems there was a Native American encampment there many many moons ago. The dredge sucked it up and deposited it up on high ground for us...and we took advantage of it. We found about a half a 5 gallon bucket of shards, chips, arrowheads, points etc....and probably that much in pottery pcs that we discarded. I was not into arrowheads, although I did keep a bird point that was absolutely gorgeous, so they took the spoils (at my insistence) we toasted a good dig...and I never went back.
There is now a new(er) 4 lane covering that area with a new(er) boatel and necessary dock space/parking lot...

Go to www.flashearth.com and type in these coordinates....
lat 36.906067
lon  -76.065497

that puts you pretty close to the spot we were digging in the parking lot to the right of the big building...boatel.....Rt 279 replaced the parallel rd to the left in the pic....that was ALL sand...who knows what was really under there...
For the record...William & Mary had been contacted, no one ever saw them there....

I have read accounts of your folks finding surface stuff (Wake Forest) in advance of construction after initial disturbance....do they keep stuff like that to themselves or is there some super secret late night ritual to be inducted into the fraternity??? coordinates would be great...heads up would be nice??

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #8 - Oct 10th, 2011 at 9:52pm
Print Post  
Hey Mobjack,
Yes, we have a super secret middle of the night initiation
but it's past my bedtime and have to leave it up to Scott
and Dave to do the initiating.  Wink
But to answer your question about our surface finds on
new construction sites....Heck NO they don't save it!
If we weren't getting the stuff out of their way no one
would ever know it was there! We do consider a large
facet of what we do as "Salvage" work. Get it before it's
lost forever. Saving the past for the future.

I'm glad to hear your story although, I must tell you, it is
not unique. That has been going on all up and down the
east, and west, coast forever. The coastlines are virtually
one big continuous site. I remember being on one of my
first coastal digs with State archaeologists and, because
of what we were talking about, getting a glimpse of the
head archaeologists site map for the NC coast. I thought,
Oh Boy, now a chance to see where all the good sites are!
Well, all his little x's and o's completely filled the coastline
and I couldn't tell where one stopped and the next one
began.
It is funny tho, how down at the coast any slight rise or
"high ground" is what they were looking for and up in the
mountains, where you are, most of the campsites will be on
flat ground down close to the water, or a nice flat knoll
near the water.

Good Luck with the Hunt,
Joe

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1