Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Montgomery County (Read 88117 times)
LeadMagnet244
YaBB Newbies

Re: Montgomery County
Reply #90 - Feb 15th, 2015 at 9:32pm
Print Post  
rockytoprockshop wrote on Feb 2nd, 2015 at 9:41am:
Mark,

I don't know myself if titanium can cause a smoky coloration or not but was told that by a couple of very knowledgable old-timers that in the case of Montgomery County quartz that it was trace amounts of titanium under just the right condition, maybe even just a minor bit of background radiation, heat, who knows caused the odd grey smoke in quartz from there? I know that many of the smokies from the Uwharries will look different in daylight than say just sitting in a room under a light. The one I found at the Tower Road site was more like wispy streaks of brown smoky tint mixed throughout the clear crystal but some others that I've seen throughout the county were of a pale brown slightly gray color through the whole body of the crystal. If you find any evidence to support the titanium color effect in quartz, let me know if there is any truth to it. You know, some of Archie's famed amethyst crystals had smoky tints and wisp of smoky not unlike other NC amethyst localities. I've always felt like the source of those crystals was from somewhere between Tower Road and Lovejoy Road centered around the Queen Road cut-over which runs about a mile between the two roads. It was on this road that I know decent smokies were found and less than a 1/2 mile away from the intersection of Queen and Lovejoy I found amethyst. I found smoky at the Tower Mine as well and saw both amethyst and smoky quartz from there in Cagles collection. So I feel that there is a belt of throught there were conditions are right to produce coloration in quartz as I have seen it east, west and off Queen Road. But let me tell you this, that whole area is heavily posted and the locals don't play around when it comes to their land. I had a gun pulled on me off Queen road some years ago and I had permission to be there! I happened to get lost and accidentally ended up on some adjacent land that was leased by a different club and some "Fudd" dressed in camo was up in a deer stand (it wasn't deer season) and as I came around the bend, heard the "click-click" looked up and he had the darn thing pointed at me. After telling him what had happened he pointed me in the right direction and on I went. I thought the fool was gonna shot me! Believe me, that crowd up there don't play. But.....there is allot of access from Tower that is public land but its intermixed with private so its real easy to end up on private and not even know it!

You talking about Brunswick land?  Sounds like the spot.  There's a place 2 miles from there I want to check out that looks promising.  Will see when the weather warms.

Sometimes you just gotta dig a hole to see what's in it.

IP Logged

FireOnTheMountain

RockHoundLounger

Reply #91 - Feb 16th, 2015 at 8:49pm
Print Post  
Nice cluster I found today!  Cheesy

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #92 - Feb 16th, 2015 at 9:24pm
Print Post  
Don't know about you, Fire, but I've got a new favorite! Smiley

IP Logged

Raleigh Rockhound

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Reply #93 - Feb 16th, 2015 at 9:30pm
Print Post  
That's a nice cluster, grats on the find.

IP Logged

FireOnTheMountain

RockHoundLounger

Reply #94 - Feb 16th, 2015 at 9:34pm
Print Post  
Thanks!
Yeah I think it's one of my new favorites
I found a really nice pocket. This is from the same pocket as the stuff I posted a few days ago

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Reply #95 - Feb 17th, 2015 at 1:10am
Print Post  
killer!

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

rockytoprockshop

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Reply #96 - Feb 17th, 2015 at 11:32am
Print Post  
Fire,

Beautiful crystal, you can really find them! Montgomery County is truely an amazing place isn't it. No telling how many quartz crystals are still out there waiting to be unearthed. I'm hoping that I can get out and explore some new and old sites as spring comes in. Feeling some better now and by spring my goal is to have myself up and going again. Best of luck to you Fire!

IP Logged

FireOnTheMountain

RockHoundLounger

Reply #97 - Feb 18th, 2015 at 8:58am
Print Post  
yes. I love Montgomery County. There is so much cool stuff there... gold, crystals, etc. Definitely one of my favorite areas!

IP Logged

Laurie Adams
Ex Member

Reply #98 - Feb 28th, 2015 at 8:12pm
Print Post  
OK I just have to say this.  Kayla Johansen farts rainbows!  I don't know how else to say it.  I've never in my life met anyone who the mineral gods have smiled on more than her.  Holy cow, i can't seem to go out collecting with her without her finding truly awesome stuff.  I've known many veteran collectors who never find good pockets, but Kayla seems to find them with ease.  Actually that's not true, she works her ass off to find stuff and I've been very privileged to be one of her digging partners.  I used to spend years searching Montgomery County for good sites, and have had some excellent success, but since I started hooking up with Kayla, it seems she has some hidden radar for quartz that none of the rest of us have.  Today would be a good example.  We expected to just go gold panning due to the snow and cold, but ended up digging out super quartz crystals again.  She shits roses!  I might deserve a small portion of credit, but she deserves respect and admiration from all crystal diggers.  I have mentored many collectors in my lifetime, but Kayla needed little mentoring, she instinctively knew how to find and dig quartz veins.  She picked up on things in a few months that took me years to educate others about how to dig and find minerals.  I'm sure she will post some pics of a couple of todays finds, which include some flecks of gold, a couple of nice artifacts, including a fine Yadkin point I gave her, some champagne quartz getting close to amethystine, and then a big pocket of crystals that is still going.  I think we have a real treasure here in NC, and it's not just minerals,  it's Fire on the Mountain.  Hats off to you Kayla, and thanks for letting me tag along.

IP Logged

FireOnTheMountain

RockHoundLounger

Reply #99 - Mar 1st, 2015 at 12:02am
Print Post  
Haha. Thanks Laurie!

Here's the point from today  (Thanks again!)

I will post some of the crystals when I get them cleaned up. I have them soaking right now  Smiley
(You forgot to mention we also found some petrified wood to top it all off) it was a good day!
« Last Edit: Mar 1st, 2015 at 10:34am by FireOnTheMountain »  

IP Logged

FireOnTheMountain

RockHoundLounger

Reply #100 - Mar 20th, 2015 at 11:30pm
Print Post  
These are a few pieces I found earlier this week  Smiley

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Reply #101 - Mar 27th, 2015 at 2:20pm
Print Post  
You're a crystal finding machine!  Well done.  At this point it looks look like you could go out on any given day and come home with crystals.  This is not the case for many many good rockhounds!

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

FireOnTheMountain

RockHoundLounger

Reply #102 - Mar 28th, 2015 at 2:05pm
Print Post  
Haha thanks Scott!  Smiley

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Reply #103 - Feb 10th, 2016 at 10:24pm
Print Post  
Shingle Trap Mountain

shingletrap.jpg ( 9613 KB | 144 Downloads )
shingletrap.jpg
shingletrap2.jpg ( 956 KB | 147 Downloads )
shingletrap2.jpg
shingletrap3.jpg ( 321 KB | 156 Downloads )
shingletrap3.jpg

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

lizziebird

RockHoundLounger

Reply #104 - Feb 13th, 2016 at 4:17pm
Print Post  
Sweet!  Anatase?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9