Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Burgin Prospect - 4/14/2012 (Read 3650 times)
Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Burgin Prospect - 4/14/2012
Apr 17th, 2012 at 10:02am
Print Post  
As Joe and I left at around 7am for the two and a half hour trip to Stanly County I told him I felt that I was going to do good this day. I was due to find something nice and I just felt it. We arrived on the property to a unique and rare event of a horse that had just given birth to a foal in the adjacent field. It had just stood for the first time on its wobbly legs as we exited the car to spectate. Perhaps, as Joe mentioned, it was a good omen for the day. Wayln Burgin arrived shortly after to give us the sign in sheet and collect our ten dollars. In his usual and most cordial manner he welcomed us and wished us the best day.

Roughly an hour had past after we had begun digging before I decided to change spots. There was a boulder next to the main quartz outcrop that was separated by a clay seam. With a little effort I was able to pry this boulder away from the main outcrop. This revealed a large crystal pocket. The size of the crystals points were larger than what most had ever seen there including myself. Needless to say, I found the spot I would be staying in the remainder of the day.  Unfortunately, many of the larger crystals were still attached to the boulder. Getting them off undamaged, I knew was going to be difficult if not impossible. My good luck had not run out, however, as the main portion of the attached crystal cluster had a small seam just on the underside where a few strikes with the 15 pound sledge on the attached boulder was able to rattle them loose.

In many ways the crystals at the Burgin prospect are like us.  They are all trying to just do what they're suppose to do, but have been influenced by the environment as evident by all the fracturing and strange shapes.  But yet they persist and continue to grow and heal, never giving up.  Although previously damaged, they are still beautiful and unique.  To me they represent hope. 

I knew it was going to be impossible to show how the quartz at this location is completely faceted and healed on all sides without taking many pictures of each specimen. But I realized that something fit that criteria perfectly -- a movie. Although a little difficult to see as the milky quartz can wash out the details, I try to catch the reflection on the faces as I turn the specimens. Watching this video in the highest resolution may be the best way to go (hover your mouse over the youtube logo in the bottom right of the youtube screen and click to watch on youtube were you will have the option to watch it at the highest resolution). At the end of the video I show two large pieces I was able to remove intact from the boulder.

« Last Edit: Apr 18th, 2012 at 12:00pm by Scott LaBorde »  

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

John Frazier

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Re: Burgin Prospect - 4/14/2012
Reply #1 - Apr 17th, 2012 at 8:25pm
Print Post  
Nice crystals and great video. Cheesy Cheesy

IP Logged

Rebecca
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Re: Burgin Prospect - 4/14/2012
Reply #2 - May 10th, 2012 at 11:33am
Print Post  
Yeah! those are nice crystals you got from there. I thought  you got a pic of the foal though. ?? That is most definitely a good omen if you are fortunate to be around when that happens!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint