Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Avery County (Read 6504 times)
Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Avery County
Apr 24th, 2012 at 11:53am
Print Post  
Owned and photographed by John Frazier. 
Garnets in muscovite.

almandineAvery.jpg ( 49 KB | 149 Downloads )
almandineAvery.jpg

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

Laurie Adams
Ex Member

Re: Avery County
Reply #1 - May 28th, 2013 at 5:50pm
Print Post  
MOONSTONE IN PEGMATITE - Bill Burleson Mine, Avery County, NC.

IMG_5114.jpg ( 63 KB | 153 Downloads )
IMG_5114.jpg

IP Logged

Laurie Adams
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Oct 17th, 2014 at 8:32pm
Print Post  
Quartz, Banner Elk, Avery Coiunty, NC.  Collected by Bob Durr, circa 1989.

rsz_img_0986.jpg ( 37 KB | 128 Downloads )
rsz_img_0986.jpg

IP Logged

Dennis

Beryl is good!

Reply #3 - Jun 1st, 2016 at 9:11am
Print Post  
Here are three specimens that I recently acquired in a trade.  They came from the Junior McKinney collection, a collector/dealer that had a gem shop near Spruce Pine.

Both specimens were collected at the Henson Creek Aquamarine Mine (originally, the Vance Black Mine) near Spear, Avery County, NC.

Specimen 1:  A gemmy aquamarine crystal in a quartz matrix.  The crystal is 3" long.

Specimen 2:  A greenish-blue beryl crystal penetrating a large muscovite crystal.  The muscovite crystal measures 8.5 x 7.0 inches.

Specimen 3: A cluster of very dark almandine crystals with minor muscovite and feldspar attached. The cluster is centered by a large crystal (2.0") dominated by trapezohedral faces with dodecahedral corner modifications.

Dennis

2016_016_Vance_Black_Mine.jpg ( 100 KB | 133 Downloads )
2016_016_Vance_Black_Mine.jpg
2016_018_Vance_Black_Mine.jpg ( 217 KB | 116 Downloads )
2016_018_Vance_Black_Mine.jpg
2016_019_Vance_Black_Mine_b.jpg ( 109 KB | 139 Downloads )
2016_019_Vance_Black_Mine_b.jpg

IP Logged

dave

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #4 - Jun 1st, 2016 at 9:56am
Print Post  
Great specimens from an obscure location. I visited the Henson Creek Mine back around 2001 or 2002 and only found two small broken chips of blue beryl. It was an odd place as you could see the hanging wall but the fill was right on top and was near the consistency of beach sand, very very eroded and weathered kaolin/feldspar. It was rumored that the Beryl zone was about 15' below the dumps.

Thanks for sharing!

-Dave

IP Logged

dave

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #5 - Jun 1st, 2016 at 9:59am
Print Post  
And as a side note, Its been years since I've gone, but ASU has a mineral museum in on the first floor of the science building. They have a KILLER almandine garnet on matrix specimen from Avery County, I assume it is Henson as well. Of the hundreds of specimens they have on display, it is one that sticks in my mind.

Really is worth a browse if anyone is in the area. The Rankin Science Building is on campus right off of Rivers Street at the intersection of Stadium Drive in Boone.

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #6 - Jun 2nd, 2016 at 1:25pm
Print Post  
Well done, Dennis! Nice finds!
I like the beryl poking out of the mica best!

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Reply #7 - Jun 2nd, 2016 at 2:53pm
Print Post  
Great photography Dennis. Where was the Garnet from?

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

Dennis

Beryl is good!

Reply #8 - Jun 2nd, 2016 at 6:39pm
Print Post  
Dave, Joe, Scott: Thanks for the comments and added info.  Scott, the garnet's from the Henson Creek Mine, too.  I forgot to change the second sentence in my post above to reflect that.

Here's some information that I was about to locate about the Vance Black Mine which is located northwest of Spear, NC:

The Vance Black Mine produced rum mica (muscovite) as reported in: Olson, J.C. 1944. Economic Geology of the Spruce Pine Pegmatite District, North Carolina. N.C. Geological Survey Bulletin. Raleigh , N.C. 67 pp.  The mine became the Henson Creek Aquamarine Mine 1/1/1950, with Elbert D. Watson (Rt. 3, Newland, NC 28657) the controller and the primary product gemstones; the current status date (3/17/1979) indicated that the mine was abandoned, was an underground mine with a single pit (www.mines.findthedata.com/I/455631).  The Henson Creek Aquamarine Mine was purchased by the late Gary D. Ledford (Hwy 226 S., Spruce Pine, NC 28777) and registered 5/16/1991, Control #: 0287692 (www.northcarolinacorps.com/corp/873128.html). Gary and Terry Ledford mined beryl (aquamarine and some golden beryl) and garnets for several years.  According to Ryan Ledford, Terry’s son, the mine is still owned by the Ledfords (Ryan Ledford, pers. comm., July 2015).  It has been closed to collectors for several years.

Also, this mine is the only location for beryl in Avery Co.  Mindat.org lists the Black Mine for beryl, but this mine is located east of Plumtree, NC.  This is most likely an error due to similarity in the mine's name.  This type of error has happened a lot because many mines in the Spruce Pine mining district have mine names with identical last names (examples: Wiseman Aquamarine Mine [Estatoe] vs. Wiseman Mine [2.5 miles NE Spruce Pine]).  It gets very confusing sometimes.

Peace,

Dennis

IP Logged

dave

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #9 - Jun 3rd, 2016 at 9:37am
Print Post  
For anyone interested...

http://mckinneymuseum.appstate.edu/

-Dave
« Last Edit: Jun 3rd, 2016 at 1:53pm by Scott LaBorde »