Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic New to "RHL" Good to be here! (Read 1539 times)
ManyRings
YaBB Newbies

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

New to "RHL" Good to be here!
Apr 25th, 2012 at 11:38pm
Print Post  
Hi all,
Any help you can shoot my way would be much appreciated.

I found this Forum as I was browsing for info on my new hobby. I have always loved the beauty of rocks and the history they detail. I have been lucky enough to have a pretty good collection of the rough stuff just by being an outdoors type and living in three different States. (Utah, Wyoming and now, Southern California for the last 25 years) Over the past 10 to 15 years, my folks in their retirement years became avid Rock hounds and acquired a grip of rock from all over The Western States. My Dad (80) with failing health and Mother gave their prize collection of rocks and tools to My Wife and I. I am now approaching retirement and plan to totally take advantage of the Gift We were given. I just wish I had their knowledge to get started.

I guess that’s why I am here. Gotta start somewhere.

The rocks & minerals etc. I have or have acquired mostly consist of:

Gastroliths, petrified wood, soapstone, abalone shell, agate, granite, sandstone, fossils and a lot of stuff I still need to sort out polished and half polished.

Note: From Wikipedia, encyclopedia, for those who don't know.

A Gastrolith, also called a stomach stone or gizzard stones, is a rock held inside a gastrointestinal tract. Gastroliths are retained in the muscular gizzard and used to grind food in animals lacking suitable grinding teeth. The grain size depends upon the size of the animal and the gastrolith's role is digestion. Other species use gastroliths as ballast. Particles ranging in size from sand to cobbles have been documented.

My favorites are: 1) Gastroliths. 2) Petrified Wood.

Good Luck to ALL!!!
And Most Of All "BE SAFE"

MANYRINGS 

ManyRings, (Referring to tree rings) is a name I acquired from our Kids. They have never stopped reminding me how much OLDER I am, than they are.

IP Logged

Rebecca
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Re: New to "RHL" Good to be here!
Reply #1 - May 2nd, 2012 at 9:33am
Print Post  
Welcome Manyrings! Love the name, by the way!
I don't share your exact interests (yuck! no stomach stones, please) but there are lots of people here that have great amounts of knowledge and are kind enough to share.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint