Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic New - Introduction from Southern California (Read 1092 times)
ManyRings
YaBB Newbies

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

New - Introduction from Southern California
Apr 25th, 2012 at 11:54pm
Print Post  
Hi all,
Cool 
Any help you can shoot my way would be much appreciated.

I found this Forum as I was browsing for info on my new hobby. I have always loved the beauty of rocks and the history they detail. I have been lucky enough to have a pretty good collection of the rough stuff just by being an outdoors type and living in three different States. (Utah, Wyoming and now, Southern California for the last 25 years) Over the past 10 to 15 years, my folks in their retirement years became avid Rock hounds and acquired a grip of rock from all over The Western States. My Dad (80) with failing health and Mother gave their prize collection of rocks and tools to My Wife and I. I am now approaching retirement and plan to totally take advantage of the Gift We were given. I just wish I had their knowledge to get started.

I guess that’s why I am here. Gotta start somewhere.

The rocks & minerals etc. I have or have acquired mostly consist of:

Gastroliths, petrified wood, soapstone, abalone shell, agate, granite, sandstone, fossils and a lot of stuff I still need to sort out polished and half polished.

Note: From Wikipedia, encyclopedia, for those who don't know.

A Gastrolith, also called a stomach stone or gizzard stones, is a rock held inside a gastrointestinal tract. Gastroliths are retained in the muscular gizzard and used to grind food in animals lacking suitable grinding teeth. The grain size depends upon the size of the animal and the gastrolith's role is digestion. Other species use gastroliths as ballast. Particles ranging in size from sand to cobbles have been documented.

My favorites are: 1) Gastroliths. 2) Petrified Wood.

Good Luck to ALL!!!
And Most Of All "BE SAFE"

MANYRINGS Cool 

ManyRings, (Referring to tree rings) is a name I acquired from our Kids. They have never stopped reminding me how much OLDER I am, than they are.

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Re: New - Introduction from Southern California
Reply #1 - Apr 26th, 2012 at 8:05am
Print Post  
Welcome Manyrings! Smiley

I like the nickname you've been given.
You are, and have been, in good rockhounding areas.
Glad you and family have taken advantage of it. I've heard
of the Joshua Tree area but can't recall much about it. Would
love to hear a report on your fieldtrip there.

I must say you are the first I've heard say they collect
gastroliths. Unusual, but interesting. On page 2 of the
Artifacts section here is a post I made called "Recent
Research on the Carolina Bays". There is a link to a video
in which they talk about finding gastroliths and their newly
discovered archaeological value in this area. You may want
to check it out.

Best of luck on your hunts,
Joe

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Reply #2 - Apr 26th, 2012 at 8:41am
Print Post  
Welcome ManyRings.  It is really great to be able to get into this hobby with the nice headstart from your parents.  I understand you probably want some advice or guidance being reletively new to this hobby.  Perhaps we can start with a few specifics topics you might be interested in, else general guidance for rockhounding might take a few pages to write it all down.  A few topics might be, collecting, buying/selling/trading, polishing, displaying, etc..

You can always check out my "How to become a Rock Hound" page here for a good general guideline:

http://www.rockhoundlounge.com/rocked.shtml

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

Dennis

Beryl is good!

Reply #3 - Apr 26th, 2012 at 1:21pm
Print Post  
I'd like to welcome you to the forum, too.  And, the nickname is great, too.

Gastroliths are very cool.  Being a fossil nut for many years I've enjoyed seeing gastroliths in collections, and have seen a few during some of my jaunts to West Texas and Arizona, especially in areas that dated to the Cretaceous.  Many dinosaurs, like modern day birds and crocodilians, used gastroliths to help grind their food to break up cellulose fibers making it easier to digest.  I've seen jasper gastroliths with bright colors similar to that of Arizona petrified wood.  Although I have found a few dinosaur bones on my trips, I never found a gastrolith with the fossils.  They were found in areas removed from old stream systems where alluvial deposits did not occur, and one paleo professor told me that what I had found were gastroliths and not ordinary stream polished pebbles.

Post some pics of your collection.  It would be great to seen them.

Dennis

IP Logged

John Frazier

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #4 - Apr 26th, 2012 at 7:40pm
Print Post  
Welcome to the Lounge.  Nice to have someone on the West coast. I think you will enjoy getting to know Scott, Joe and all our interesting members.  John Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint