Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Ray Mica Mine "Big Ray" (Read 2350 times)
Raleigh Rockhound

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Ray Mica Mine "Big Ray"
Aug 11th, 2012 at 7:28pm
Print Post  
I spent several days at the Ray during round-up and while it wasn't the most productive i was happy with what i found.  The first day i picked a spot up under a tree i had worked the week before and didn't find anything specimen worthy but i did find some fluorescent orange material (i believe it is apatite?) but even the mud had an eerie glow in some spots some i am not sure exactly what it is. 

The rest of the time at the ray i spent digging with Gene, we hiked up past the second pit and ventured right about 50 yds to the old tailings where we started to dig. 

Here is a link to the best piece i found, it was about six feet down, past the first boulder layer and near the bottom of the gravel layer that is about a foot to two feet thick.
http://imgur.com/a/sZGyC

IP Logged

Chemfreak
YaBB Newbies

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Re: Ray Mica Mine "Big Ray"
Reply #1 - Aug 15th, 2012 at 11:11am
Print Post  
That is very gemmy. Should cut to make a nice stone. I love that place but it can be hard on you while digging through all of the rubble. We ought to have a group dig up there when the leaves start changing and make our way up the Mas Celo Kyanite mine. I can lead since I know the way up. Should be fun.

IP Logged

Raleigh Rockhound

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Re: Ray Mica Mine "Big Ray"
Reply #2 - Aug 15th, 2012 at 3:47pm
Print Post  
I've never been up to mas celo, if you're looking to dig this weekend, there is a group heading to burgin quartz mine.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint