Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) WALWORTH QUARRY OPEN HOUSE NEAR ROCHESTER NY (Read 10629 times)
XTLDGGR
YaBB Newbies

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

WALWORTH QUARRY OPEN HOUSE NEAR ROCHESTER NY
Oct 1st, 2012 at 5:27pm
Print Post  
Not sure if there are many northerners on this site but if any one is interested there will be a open dig on October 13 and 14, 2012....Walworth Quarry (Dolomite Products Co.), 1200 Atlantic Ave, Walworth, NY 14568 Safety Meeting Mandatory - sign in 6:45AM. Well-supervised children allowed. Must have hard hat (children may wear bicycle helmets), safety glasses, sturdy boots, long pants. Minerals to be found - dolomite, fluorite, selenite, sphalerite, celestine, gypsum, and clam, coral, crinoid, stromatolite fossils.

This dig is free and open to the public. Power tools allowed !!

A few photos to whet your appetite!!

John-xtldggr-Makohon

CLEAR FLUORITE ON DOLOSTONE MATRIX

DOGSTOOTH CALCITE ON DOLOMITE CRYSTALS

PALE BLUE FLUORITE WITH INCLUDED HYDROCARBONS

PALE BLUE WITH PURPLE PHANTOM FLUORITE

IP Logged

Raleigh Rockhound

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Re: WALWORTH QUARRY OPEN HOUSE NEAR ROCHESTER NY
Reply #1 - Oct 1st, 2012 at 5:31pm
Print Post  
Wow, those are incredible pictures john, hopefully sometime in the future I can make a dig like that.

IP Logged

XTLDGGR
YaBB Newbies

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Reply #2 - Oct 1st, 2012 at 9:02pm
Print Post  
Thanks Mark,

Love to have you up, there will be a open house at the Penfield  quarry In early May, 2013. The Penfield is often referred to as the sister quarry to the Walworth as the same geological formation, with the same mineral suite is exploited.

Take care, good luck at Glendon!!

John

IP Logged

Rebecca
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #3 - Oct 2nd, 2012 at 9:18am
Print Post  
Who let you in here!? How did you sneak in under my astute observation?  Wink
First of all, does anybody else refer to these quarries as "sister quarries" or just you?  Tongue And do you mean they belong to the same continuous formation or the same type of formation?
Also John, go to "artifacts" and look at the disc thingy I found when you get a chance.
Seriously, about time you chimed in...because I don't have time to read "Annals of the Former World".  Grin

IP Logged

XTLDGGR
YaBB Newbies

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Reply #4 - Oct 3rd, 2012 at 12:30pm
Print Post  
Here is another specimen from Walworth.

WATER CLEAR FLUORITE ON MATRIX, FLUORITE CRYSTAL IS APPROXIMATELY 1/2" X1/2"

XTLDGGR

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Reply #5 - Oct 3rd, 2012 at 1:17pm
Print Post  
Great pictures and finds John.  I still want to go looking for that pyrite with you sometime.   Grin

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

XTLDGGR
YaBB Newbies

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Reply #6 - Oct 3rd, 2012 at 1:37pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the compliment on the photos Scott, thats means a lot coming for you. Having seen the outstanding photos you post, caused me to reconsider my whole photo taking procedure. I am currently teaching myself how to use photoshop and hope one day to be able to achieve results similar to yours, particulary the abilty to change background and create that fantastic back lighting effect.

PS: The pyrite awaits.

John

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Reply #7 - Oct 3rd, 2012 at 4:44pm
Print Post  
Thanks also for your compliment.  I will be doing a write up about my set up, providing pictures and instructions on how anyone can do it.  Currently I do not use any photo editing software to altar my pictures unless I want to remove lint or dust that may have settled on or around the specimen.  I did used to try that when I first started this website, but was never satisfied with the result -- keep in mind I mean that I was never satisfied with "my" results as I have seen photoshop produce wonderful backgrounds that I wish I could have obtained.  So I went with altering the actual physical background to produce the results I get now.

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #8 - Oct 3rd, 2012 at 6:08pm
Print Post  
I like your pics, too, John. Smiley

Maybe we'll make it up to the Walworth next year.
Thanks for the notice and hope you find lots of good stuff!
Joe

IP Logged

XTLDGGR
YaBB Newbies

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Reply #9 - Oct 3rd, 2012 at 7:36pm
Print Post  
Scott,

I did not know that you were not using Photoshop, your photos are now even more impressive. I have experimented with various backgrounds and have found that a piece of black poster board at the base and a piece of black felt for the background along with a small aperture setting on the camera can be quite pleasing, this is the method employed on the last couple of fluorite pictures I posted and the results were quite nice. I like the way the background appears to change hue.

Rebecca,

The Walworth and the Penfield quarries are referred to as sister quarries as they are mining the same geological formation. The formation is called the Lockport formation, which stretches from Niagara Falls to approximately 200 miles eastward to Ilion, New York. The Lockport Formation has a maximum thickness of about 175 feet. It is the cap rock of Niagara Falls. The Lockport Formation is of Middle Silurian age (about 420 million years old) and is primarily composed of a hard dolomitic limestone with lower layers of shale. The two quarries are less than ten miles apart as the crow flies.

Joe,

Hope to catch up with you soon need a good indurated mudstone argilite conversation coupled with the finer points of siderita ankerite ferroan dolomite yadda yadda yadda Cheesy

Take care folks,

John

IP Logged

Rebecca
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #10 - Oct 4th, 2012 at 10:25am
Print Post  
Thanks John, that is exactly what I wanted to know.  Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1