Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Rose River Syria, VA (Read 8332 times)
varock43
YaBB Newbies

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Rose River Syria, VA
Oct 2nd, 2012 at 9:37am
Print Post  
Last Sunday I made a three hour drive from coastal Va up to the Rose river to look for unakite and blue quartz. Recent weather reports had indicated flash flood possible to the east of Syria so I was hoping the rains would have uncovered some good stuff. But it was dry there and the water levels were low.

Using Tim4d's report below as a guide, I walked up the river from the junction of 648 and 670. All I found was rotten unakite. Lots of looking but I went home empty handed from there.

Would have been a wasted trip except for viewing the large exposed vein of blue quartz near the church off of 600 and 670. Turn at the post office and go about .8 mile and just past the church up the hillside on the right is a vein visible as you drive by if you are looking closelly. I climbed up to it and atteched is a cell phone pic. The sun was shining right on the center so that is the washed out area in the photo.

I also checked out the stream gravels in the Robinson river near Banco and Madison looking for quartz. No luck there.

BlueQuartzpost.jpg ( 110 KB | 77 Downloads )
BlueQuartzpost.jpg

IP Logged

Rebecca
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Re: Rose River Syria, VA
Reply #1 - Oct 2nd, 2012 at 9:41am
Print Post  
Very pretty! Nice size chunks of blue quartz in that too. I can only find small grains. Thanks for showing.

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #2 - Oct 2nd, 2012 at 3:20pm
Print Post  
Interesting! Thanks for the report. Smiley
The blue in that quartz is a good pretty color.

IP Logged

Tim4d
God Member

I like creeks & rivers
to do the digging for
me.

Reply #3 - Oct 10th, 2012 at 9:07pm
Print Post  
I thought I left some behind!  Good eye on the blue quartz outcrop. I will certainly look for it next time I go. Was there sufficient footing to plant a chisel and swing a hammer to sample that outcrop?

IP Logged

Tim4d
God Member

I like creeks & rivers
to do the digging for
me.

Reply #4 - Oct 10th, 2012 at 9:08pm
Print Post  
I thought I left some behind!  Good eye on the blue quartz outcrop. I will certainly look for it next time I go. Was there sufficient footing to plant a chisel and swing a hammer to sample that outcrop?

IP Logged

varock43
YaBB Newbies

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Reply #5 - Oct 19th, 2012 at 10:37am
Print Post  
Yes, you can find footing to swing a chisel but the chips will fly right in your face so you need a full face shield. Attached is a better pic.

SyriaBG2.JPG ( 102 KB | 86 Downloads )
SyriaBG2.JPG

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint