Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Richmond County Rocks (Read 1976 times)
rockytoprockshop

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Richmond County Rocks
Nov 19th, 2012 at 5:24pm
Print Post  
I wanted to thank Scott again for posting some pics of mineral finds in my home county of Richmond Co., NC. I am still learning the site and how to post pics. Anyone wanting to see them can go to the North Carolina section and they are there under "counties". My goal was to let other rockhounds know about the area which sits upon the far southeastern most section of the Piedmont and coastal plains on the "fall line". There is schrol, corundum, epidote, siderite, rock crystal, tourmalinated smoky quartz, limonite after pyrite, and calcite posted there to view. The area has a small wedge of exposed granitic rocks in part similar to the Raleigh belt and on the NC geologic maps, appears to be an extension of that belt that wasn't covered by alluvial coastal sediments (at least in a small area of the county). The far north western side of the county catches the last lowly foothills of the Uwharries to the north in Montgomery County and have produced some quartz, limonite, pyrite, and even a little gold. Anyone interested in collecting the area and stopping by is more than welcomed to get with me anytime. Again, thanks Scott for your help.

IP Logged

Laurie Adams
Ex Member

Re: Richmond County Rocks
Reply #1 - Nov 20th, 2012 at 8:02am
Print Post  
Thanks for the pics, Mike. (and Scott).  By the way, you're still reversing the o and r in schorl.  (not schrol)

IP Logged

rockytoprockshop

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Reply #2 - Nov 20th, 2012 at 10:20am
Print Post  
Laurie,

Yeah I know, I reverse the r and o I do it every time but the older I get the more I notice that I do screwy things, lol. If reversing an R and O is the worst mistake that I make this week, I'll be doing good. Please forgive me for my ignorance. By the way, how did you and Mark do down in Montgomery County looking for chloritic quartz? I'm planning to organize an all out, bust my tail till I find it, exploration for the Tower Road quarry just after hunting season ends. As many times as I use to go there I shouldn't be having so much trouble finding it now regardless of what logging roads have changed the state most likely did not erase the mine dumps, old access roads, and numerous boulders that blanketed the hill surrounding the mine. I found an old map that I marked a dot indicating the location that might help me. I would go now but I don't want to risk getting shot by Elmer Fudd's!

IP Logged

Laurie Adams
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Nov 20th, 2012 at 11:11am
Print Post  
Just let me know when, I'll be there with you.

IP Logged

Raleigh Rockhound

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Reply #4 - Nov 20th, 2012 at 11:37am
Print Post  
Count me in.

IP Logged

rockytoprockshop

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Reply #5 - Nov 20th, 2012 at 12:04pm
Print Post  
Mark,

When its closer to the time to go, maybe you can pick up Laurie and meet me there? Laurie and I tried re-finding it once several years ago with no luck. Its crazy because the mine dumps are prominent and the access road to the dumps were visible and had a "bar" type gate across it. The road leading into the digs were covered in shiny quartz and the road sides littered with huge boulders. It was on one of these boulders that I found a nice 6" smoky xl embedded. The dumps produced a good number of small xls and clusters that had odd inclusions such as wispy white balls that looked like cotton as well as purple and black chloritic material. I was fortunate to visit and purchase a large xl from James Cagle back some years ago. He helpes dig the original pit and found hundreds of huge quartz xls to 300/lbs! I've seen them in his basement. Simply amazing. That mine actually produced some micro anatase as well as amethyst and smoky, phantoms, chlorite inclusions and skeletal habit quartz! James had all that stuff. My mouth watered every time I visited him. He's been dead a good while and I hear that every piece of that material was moved out of state by his daughter. I do know his house had been resold and all the contents are gone. James wouldn't let me take pictures in the basement. Its hard to describe crystals, hundreds of them some bigger than a washing machine others slender and as long as 3' doubly terminated lined up on shelves, on the floor, on top of dusted tables. He had them everywhere! The original find at the Tower Road site must have been huge. I heard that back in the 60's when it occurred, that geologist from Raleigh came down to the mine (which was active at that time) photographed and documented the pocket, and that the mine owner was giving the crystals away to people that came by curious! Anyway, there ought to be records in Raleigh of it somewhere as the pocket was a once in a lifetime discovery.

IP Logged

Raleigh Rockhound

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Reply #6 - Nov 20th, 2012 at 12:45pm
Print Post  
Picking up Laurie wouldnt be issue if I make the adventure; I however, don't have a clue what to look for in terms of trying to locate historical references on such an event.  The first time we spoke about it, it seemed you and Laurie had traveled many of the seems avenues I would use to locate the mine.  Maybe I will get lucky and stumble upon a holy grail document but I doubt it.

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Reply #7 - Nov 20th, 2012 at 1:01pm
Print Post  
Anytime you'd like I'd love to tag along, explore, and dig at any of the places you mentioned in Richmond County. I want to document all these great sites and take many pictures for posterity.

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

rockytoprockshop

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Reply #8 - Nov 20th, 2012 at 3:58pm
Print Post  
Scott,

Anytime that you want to come down, I'll be glad to show you these sites in Richmond County. The epidote site has allot of potential and the land owner is a good friend. He even owns a backhoe and digs for me sometimes. The corundum locality is on a power line roadway and occurs as float. we've yet to find the vein that these pieces came out of but the hill is steep and it could be anywhere in the overgrowth. The schrol site too is overgrown but still there but schrol also occurs with the epidote as well. The smokies are in a relatively small area on several farms and I am working on getting permission to dig the best one where my pieces came from. The other sites are pretty much road side outcroppings. Again, anytime your down I'll be more than happy to show you around to some places. There is a pegmatite near the epidotes thats got sharp mica xls in clusters, massive smoky, and blocky feldspar that over 12' wide exposed in a hillside that a buddy once pulled out some small but very clear smokies from. Keep in touch. Happy Thanksgiving.

IP Logged

rockytoprockshop

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Reply #9 - Nov 20th, 2012 at 4:07pm
Print Post  
Mark,

I pretty much know about where the Tower Road mine is and this time, I'll take my time and look for the indicators that I missed the last couple of times. I have a gut feeling that I know where I messed up the last time but need to get up there to find out. I tell you, the dumps have been barely touched in years. I even once suspected that this was the one in same site that the famous "Archies amethyst" was found or at least very close by. The habit of much of the quartz at the site is similar to Archies find and I know for a fact that amethyst is in the area as I have found some about mile from there. As far as literature in Raleigh as to the big pocket hit in the 60's, good luck, I've never seen any but James Cagle and others have all said that state geologist documented the discovery.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint