Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Unfriendly Stones (Read 7095 times)
Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Unfriendly Stones
Nov 25th, 2012 at 12:30am
Print Post  
I had heard once that kidney stone pain was sometimes equivalent to the pain of childbirth. So I asked a lady co-worker who recently had surgery to remove some kidney stones about that statement. Mother of two herself she, replied, "I'd rather have triplets than go through that pain again."  Luckily the pain did not get this bad with the stone I passed this weekend.  Gross, yeah probably, but since they hurt so much, I'm curious what they look like. It doesn't take long to figure out why they hurt after looking at them closely.

3 x 1 mm -- It was a tabular crystal cluster
« Last Edit: Nov 26th, 2012 at 11:03pm by Scott LaBorde »  

KidneyStone3.jpeg ( 439 KB | 112 Downloads )
KidneyStone3.jpeg

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

Dennis

Beryl is good!

Re: Unfriendly Stones
Reply #1 - Nov 25th, 2012 at 1:59pm
Print Post  
Have you been eating your quartz again, Scott? There are other ways to get minerals in your diet.

We all know how much you like crystals, but if that kidney stone had been tumbled first it would not have been as painful. 

Dennis     Grin Cool

IP Logged

dan

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #2 - Nov 25th, 2012 at 3:58pm
Print Post  
When I first read the posting and saw the picture I wasn't sure what to say.  One could ask just how big was the stone?  Or as Dennis was asking "have you been eating your quartz"?  Or have you yet figured out the composition of the stone?

I am impressed the extent to which you will collect crystals.  Hope you feel better!   Take care and, I hope you went to the doctor, follow their directions.   Wink Dan

IP Logged

Laurie Adams
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Nov 25th, 2012 at 6:05pm
Print Post  
Un-friggin believable.  Thanks for the post.  Remind me to never get kidney stones!

IP Logged

Timh
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #4 - Nov 25th, 2012 at 6:35pm
Print Post  
Wow. That is an awesome photo. Beautiful to look at but at the same time real ugly when considering how it was collected. I feel your pain, I have had 2 trips to the emergency room in the past due to kidney stones but did not keep them. I hope there isn't another opportunity to keep one, but if there is I will.
Better lay off the milk and collard greens.

IP Logged

Rebecca
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #5 - Nov 25th, 2012 at 9:26pm
Print Post  
Yuck and horrible and weird all at the same time! Get well soon!

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Reply #6 - Nov 25th, 2012 at 11:07pm
Print Post  
Don't worry I'm well.  There was no surgery, just pain for about two days then it was gone after it passed.  I've had a few in the past where I wished I were dead so this one was nothing.   Tongue

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

NCGrampa

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Reply #7 - Nov 26th, 2012 at 11:34am
Print Post  
Scott, glad you are feeling better.  I had one about 20 years ago too large to pass.  They broke it up with sonic waves and I pee'ed gravel for 48 hours.

2nd generation in my family to walk upright!

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Reply #8 - Nov 26th, 2012 at 10:13pm
Print Post  
I would not wish kidney stones on anyone.  I'm very thankful I've not had one too large to pass.

I'm sort of feeling some aftershocks so to speak right now.  It's possible there's more to come. Cry

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

Rebecca
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #9 - Nov 27th, 2012 at 8:53am
Print Post  
It is funny how vulnerable and tender some parts of the body are! They are completely ignored until something like this happens, and then you can feel their authority!  Grin I would rather smash my hand with a sledge then pass something like that! Ok, maybe my foot. (Still have to be able to dig).  Grin
Whatever causes them, I would quit doing it!
And how, exactly, did you retrieve that thing!?

IP Logged

Rebecca
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #10 - Nov 28th, 2012 at 12:05pm
Print Post  
Nevermind, I don't really want to know the extraction process.

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Reply #11 - Nov 29th, 2012 at 8:36am
Print Post  
I picked it up.   Wink

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

October 1st, 2013
Reply #12 - Oct 14th, 2013 at 10:50pm
Print Post  
October 1st, 2013 I awoke with a slight discomfort in my back right side just about where my kidney is. As the morning progresses I realize the pain does not diminish. It is constant, and unyielding for even a second. The point where reality forces its way through my shield of denial happens on my drive to work. The pain is too familiar and undeniable like the smell of that food that once made you very sick.  I knew it was another stone but I hoped it would be small and that I could endure the pain at work. I rationalized -- perhaps I could work through the pain, maybe if I worked hard I could distract myself and then the pain would be easier to endure.  I'm in IT so there are plenty of things I could keep myself busy with. This line of reasoning was likened to thinking one could endure a pot of boiling water poured over the head easier if kept busy enough. I continued on to work, had my morning green tea, and read a few emails before the pain kicked it up an order of magnitude. Remarkably, I managed to accomplish the task of helping someone on the third floor with an issue she was having accessing a webserver of ours.  It was like being in a dream.  Maintaining focus on the task while in such incredible pain was a surreal experience.  I managed to maintain my composure long enough to make it back to my office, tell everyone I was going home because I was passing a kidney stone, and jump in the car to get home.  Just before making it to my subdivision the pain increases another order of magnitude.  Its about a 9 on a scale of 1 to 10.  It may have been more wise to stop the car then and simply walk the rest of the way home.  My eyelids squinched closed from grimacing and wincing from this undeniable nightmare of pain -- my vision and reaction time must surely have been reduced.  Nevertheless, I made it home.  I don't know why I rushed inside -- as if I could somehow escape the pain and leave it outside in the car.  Perhaps I thought the comfort of home might somehow mitigate the pain.  I was wrong.  I quickly filled a large glass with water and began to sip away.  I would have preferred that I knocked back a couple glasses and already be working on my third by now but the pain was so great I was nauseous with every sip of water. I wanted to keep the water on the inside. I knew hydration was the only thing that would push the stone through the ureter.  If not then it was going to be the emergency room. Halfway through that large glass of water the pain grew to the point where I could no longer sip.  The pain was blinding, not just physically, but blinding in every sense.  I had arrived at 10 on the scale -- anymore and I believe I would have gone unconscious.  This kind of pain is something that demands attention of your entire consciousness, its so real, so powerful and all encompassing.  I'm rocking back an forth with arms clenched in front of me on my couch and my dog Addie alternates between both nudging and resting her nose on my knee.  I knew she was trying desperately to conciliate me, but her distraction only proved to be irritating and I had to push her away.  An hour of this insanity and finally the familiar prick like needles on the inside and I knew the stone had made its way to the opening of the bladder.  It is here that the ureter begins to flare wider and the stones journey becomes unimpeded by the narrow walls of the ureter.  Euphoria describes the experience when the stone drops into the bladder.  All the endorphins that had accumulated in my blood stream in an attempt to quell the pain I experienced for the past couple hours are only now realized.  It might be hard to imagine for those who usually recognize pain in the form of an injury or sickness where pain is something that subsides very slowly as one heals.  Once the kidney stone drops into the bladder, the pain simply stops completely.  It's like being reborn with a new and modified sense of well-being. Colors are vivid, everything is bright and happy, and life is great.  Well-being has now become something much more respected, admired, and appreciated. 

I understand my graphic portrayal is something many people will find difficult to read -- perhaps even offensive.  But, not documenting the details of this incredibly real experience would not do the story of this stone any justice.  It seems I'm destined not only to find rocks, but produce and give birth to them as well. No, I do not love my stones, I'm not proud of them, but they are very significant to me. Even relating them to trophies would diminish their true significance.

Ironically I finally ended up passing the stone out of my bladder (without pain) while at Graves Mountain on October 3rd, looking for rocks outside my body.  At least I wasn't coming home empty handed.  Undecided

5 x 2 mm.
« Last Edit: Oct 15th, 2013 at 6:45am by Scott LaBorde »  

kstone10.jpeg ( 1095 KB | 96 Downloads )
kstone10.jpeg
kstone11.jpeg ( 536 KB | 101 Downloads )
kstone11.jpeg

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

NCGrampa

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Reply #13 - Oct 15th, 2013 at 3:48pm
Print Post  
I feel your pain and have felt your pain.  Thanks for over-sharing  Cry

2nd generation in my family to walk upright!

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #14 - Oct 16th, 2013 at 4:55pm
Print Post  
Yes, Scott, pretty agonizing read, but I think sharing was totally within
the scope of RHL.
This is, afterall, a place to document your rock finds and "creations". Tongue
Thanks for the pics. That thing, especially the pointy end, looks like it
would bite you pretty good.