Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic New Bern Rockhounding (Read 10309 times)
Tim4d
God Member

I like creeks & rivers
to do the digging for
me.

New Bern Rockhounding
Dec 23rd, 2012 at 11:54pm
Print Post  
Today Rebecca, Sean and I went rockhounding in New Bern, NC.  Rockhounding near the beach, you say?  Yes, we mined the estate of a collector and lapidary hobbyist who has gone to that big pile of gemstone mine tailings in the sky.  It is an honor to carry forward his workshop and collection.

Here is an initial inventory of lapidary equipment purchased today for $500.  All but one piece seem to be in good shape bearing-wise, freely turning and no wobble, but the real test will be when they are under load. The saw blades may need dressing to peel the steel slubs off the diamonds, or they may be worn out.  Two firebricks were included for dressing the blades.

4 Lortone splash hoods with drip tubes.

10" Lapidary Trim Saw - Montgomery Ward Powr Kraft Model No. 07-TSH 2685A (with sliding rock vise; working cut 3" high from table; with plastic splash lid. 

10" saw with odd mechanics and 4" working cut height; with splash shield and drip tube; mystery manufacturer until I get a closer look in daylight tomorrow. 

6" trim saw - ADM Rock Rascal Model J (only piece that seems to have a bad bearing; blade is warped, too.)

Vibratory flat lap - Star Diamond Industries, Inc., Model No. OL-10.

Lortone Lapidary N-7 Arbor Grind-Sand-Polish (2 stone grinding wheels)

Unknown make arbor (stone ball and stone wheel)

Star Arbor with sanding drum and expandable rubber polishing drum.

Sears Companion Six-Pound Tumbler Model No. 861.1417

Five electric motors and various belts.

Everything needs a good cleaning and lubrication. Some pieces could stand to be sanded down and repainted. All the motors need cleaning and rewiring before we can test them, and one has a broken pulley wheel. 

Judging from the stack of Rock and Gem magazines, the rocks and minerals date from the mid 1970s. Lots of agate of all sorts, obsidian, jasper, picture sandstone, rose quartz, and fossils.  Have only begun to sort all the slabs and rough. Have not even opened any of the egg cartons, so who knows what

IP Logged

Tim4d
God Member

I like creeks & rivers
to do the digging for
me.

Re: New Bern Rockhounding
Reply #1 - Dec 24th, 2012 at 12:05am
Print Post  
... so who knows what small specimens there will be.

We drove down from our Chester, VA, house last night, so you could consider the hotel cost part of "shipping".  The fellow in New Bern selling had inherited from an in-law from New York.  I spotted the ad using a Craigslist multi-search app Friday, got his reply Saturday, talked to the seller about cabinet dimensions and jumped into the Taurus X station wagon Saturday evening.  Met him at the storage place today at 11 a.m. Rebecca is a great loadmaster, so she directed our packing. We didn't have to send Sean home on the bus, but just barely!  I aired up the tires closer to max, and off we rolled homeward.

IP Logged

Tim4d
God Member

I like creeks & rivers
to do the digging for
me.

Reply #2 - Dec 24th, 2012 at 12:07am
Print Post  
Can't post photos from my phone, so pictures will have to wait until I get to a real computer up in Alexandria.

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Reply #3 - Dec 26th, 2012 at 1:21am
Print Post  
Well I'd certainly say you made out very well on that deal.  Well done!  Can't wait to see pictures of the things you make with your new equipment.

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint