Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic My Photography Setup (Read 6574 times)
Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

My Photography Setup
Jan 4th, 2013 at 11:27pm
Print Post  
Here is my setup.  The background is created with a light blue felt stretched across some foam core board.  The felt covered board is hung above a mirror.

xx298.JPG ( 330 KB | 156 Downloads )
xx298.JPG

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Re: My Photography Setup
Reply #1 - Jan 4th, 2013 at 11:37pm
Print Post  
The board is suspended from the ceiling by a pulley and string.  The counter balance is a cluster of quartz crystals from the Burgin property.  With the counter balance I can raise and lower the background in order to accommodate a wide variety of specimen sizes.  The camera is always angled downward into the mirror so that the blue "horizon" line is actually a reflection in the mirror, thus creating the illusion of being further away.  Since the field of view for macro lenses is very small, objects in the background are out of focus.  This is how I achieve the fuzzy or smooth gradient between the black background and the blue "horizon". 

xx299.JPG ( 308 KB | 145 Downloads )
xx299.JPG
xx300.JPG ( 326 KB | 174 Downloads )
xx300.JPG

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Reply #2 - Jan 4th, 2013 at 11:46pm
Print Post  
On the wall behind the hanging background I hung a sheet of black fabric to help make the blackness blacker.  Before I hung the black fabric I found that some of my photos would show reflection off the wall.  The gooseneck clamps you see are very useful for positioning reflective surfaces to accent crystal faces, positioning the background, or even positioning or supporting specimens.  They are called Plamps and can be ordered and found online.
« Last Edit: Jan 8th, 2013 at 9:16am by Scott LaBorde »  

xx302.JPG ( 342 KB | 165 Downloads )
xx302.JPG

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Reply #3 - Jan 4th, 2013 at 11:56pm
Print Post  
And what's this thing?  It's where my specimens sit.  It is a simple contraption consisting of a large metal bolt, a magnet, a 1 1/2" steel ball bearing, and of course some mineral tac.  This creates a ball and socket joint that allows me to spin, turn, and rotate the specimen into virtually any position I wish.

xx303.JPG ( 278 KB | 181 Downloads )
xx303.JPG
xx304.JPG ( 313 KB | 170 Downloads )
xx304.JPG
xx305.JPG ( 291 KB | 161 Downloads )
xx305.JPG

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

Dennis

Beryl is good!

Reply #4 - Jan 5th, 2013 at 9:54am
Print Post  
Scott,

Nice set-up.  I like ball and bolt contraption.  That probably works great for smaller specimens.  What do you use for larger cabinets?

Where did you get the goose neck light fixtures, and what kind of bulbs do you use?  I use the Solux halogen bulbs, but they put out a lot of heat during my photo sessions.

Your photos are so professionally done.  I wish I could afford a better camera and optics, but my Canon works fine for my purposes, so far, but my photos are not as sharp as I would like.

Dennis

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Reply #5 - Jan 6th, 2013 at 2:42am
Print Post  
For larger cabinet size I put a small towel or piece of foam down underneath it to protect the mirror.  With a towel I'm able to fold and tuck sections underneath any side of the specimen in order to position it.  I use regular "white" light variety CFL's.  I purchased the gooseneck lamps at Walmart and Lowes.  I attribute the sharpness I obtain to the macro lense I use which cost more than the camera itself, and the focus stacking software I use, Helicon Focus.  The focus stacking software allows me to open the aperature as wide as it can go for optimal crispness.  The wide open aperature increases the sharpness but narrows the field of view.  This is where the software comes in. I focus in on the specimen at a spot nearest the camera and then take a shot, then adjust the focus further out (away from the camera) and take another shot, and so on.  Think of it like taking 3D slices of the specimens.  The software then blends all of the photos together creating one crisp and sharp image.  I've taken up to 15 or more pictures of one specimen before stacking them. Focus stacking is a great tool and something I would advise for anyone interested in mineral photography or any photography involving motionless subject matter.
« Last Edit: Jan 8th, 2013 at 9:08am by Scott LaBorde »  

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

sandrose

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Reply #6 - Apr 8th, 2014 at 1:51pm
Print Post  
Scott,
I have many,many pictures that I would like to post.
Would you please refresh my memory on how to resize using Microsoft Paint?
Thanks for your help!
                                           Scott J.

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Reply #7 - Apr 10th, 2014 at 3:48pm
Print Post  
Here's the link to the original post about how to use windows paint:

http://www.rockhoundlounge.com/cgi-bin/yabb252/YaBB.pl?num=1357139581

Scott LaBorde