Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Kershaw County (Read 9725 times)
Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Kershaw County
Jan 8th, 2013 at 10:04pm
Print Post  
From the collection of rockytoprockshop:

Liberty Hill, SC

xx322.JPG ( 519 KB | 176 Downloads )
xx322.JPG
xx323.JPG ( 424 KB | 164 Downloads )
xx323.JPG

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Liberty Hill, SC
Reply #1 - Jan 8th, 2013 at 10:29pm
Print Post  
From the collection of rockytoprockshop:
« Last Edit: Jan 10th, 2013 at 12:53pm by Scott LaBorde »  

xx325.JPG ( 343 KB | 165 Downloads )
xx325.JPG

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

Rebecca
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Re: Kershaw County
Reply #2 - Jan 14th, 2013 at 9:54am
Print Post  
Very very nice color. Have you had any of that stuff faceted?

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Reply #3 - Jan 14th, 2013 at 12:54pm
Print Post  
Rebecca wrote on Jan 14th, 2013 at 9:54am:
Very very nice color. Have you had any of that stuff faceted?

Look closely at the first picture in the thread.   Wink

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

rockytoprockshop

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Reply #4 - Jan 14th, 2013 at 3:46pm
Print Post  
Rebecca,

Scott took the pictures the day he came down to the shop. I had one piece faceted. The material was largely flawless and free of inclusions. The color is a rich cider brown. I have 3 crystals from the site and the cut piece came from a small mass that wasn't a crystal so I had it cut. I've collected the site once many years ago (the creek site) but never the original mine. I have no idea what the status of the site is today but Liberty Hill, SC once produced killer smokies. Geology is similar in the area to Wake County, NC. I still have the names of my original contacts down there, might be worth a road trip? Cheers, Mike

IP Logged

Rebecca
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #5 - Jan 15th, 2013 at 10:43am
Print Post  
Grin I am soooo observative!  Wink I was enamored with the crystals and skipped the faceted stone! I usually skip them. So funny!

However, lately i have been thinking about designing jewelry, and so am thinking faceted stones might be ok. As long as it wasn't cut from a complete crystal.
I already have sketched a bunch of designs and just need to find a silver-smithing class - or even better a skilled person that wants to do an "apprenticeship" of some sort.
A trip is most definitely in order!

As a side note: I wouldn't compete or, more importantly, compare with Wake county, or anywhere else, anyway. The things you have shown hold their own weight and are very nice in their own right.
I have found that the mineral kingdom exemplifies the thought that it isn't about "better than", rather it is about "different than..." it is more about a celebration of differences. It is the uniqueness that is alluring, as it reflects the mystery of it all. These physical things (crystals) represent really physical and tangible laws. However the origin and order of these laws, can't be defined or concretely qualified. These laws are enmeshed with the unknown, yet are relied on to explain and even refute chaos.
Yes, some crystals are just exquisite and some locales are exceptional and give that more frequently. They are all qualifications along a continuum. They compliment each other. You may say that they wouldn't exist without each other, such as yin and yang, etc.
We need to allow there to be more "great" in the world, without a qualification - more objectivity is in order. Objectivity can be found in tolerance and acceptance in...  Roll Eyes observation; and it's utilization is a deliberate reflection of the wondrous beauty and energy that makes up the natural world. It is a way to use the mind as the tool it was meant to be. It is an expression of the aligned mind and spirit. For me, you can experience the spirit and embrace science. It is a letting go of rigid constructs, and free yourself from mental prejudices. Innovative thinking and neutrality is required. It is a more responsible and reasonable way to be...a natural existence.

Also, living in an area that doesn't have anything close to that kind of occurrence, would make you much more appreciative also.  Wink
Those crystals appear unique to me in their size and length; and have a really incredibly, beautiful color. They are exhibiting their own environmental existence.

Whew! I am wordy today! What I really wanted to know is when you say "cider", do you mean like a honey (not amber)? Is there a tinge of yellow to the smoky or is it more grey?  Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

rockytoprockshop

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Reply #6 - Jan 16th, 2013 at 11:37am
Print Post  
Rebecca,

Both. Two are just a pure cider color and one has a bit of citrine hint to it. If your in Rockingham or coming through, give me a shout and stop by.

Cheers, Mike

IP Logged

Rebecca
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #7 - Jan 17th, 2013 at 11:24am
Print Post  
When I make it over there, I am definitely going to have to stop in! I will have to let my trip-planner (Becky) figure out how to work it in!  Smiley

IP Logged

rockytoprockshop

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Reply #8 - Jan 17th, 2013 at 4:55pm
Print Post  
Rebecca,

Anytime, just give me a shout when you do come down. I am trying to set up a rockhound swap get-together in town if I can get enough participation. I've already got one good locality promised to me right along the busiest highway in town and am waiting to hear back from another. Big problem I think with the idea is that its in Rockingham (not your Spruce Pines or Franklin, or some bigger city) so folks don't typically associate the area for the rock and mineral enthusiast plus the economy really stinks so I don't know if a show here is ever going to become reality but hey, you have to start somewhere and at least I'll have felt the waters and no if it swim or sink. Anyway. Thanks....Mike

IP Logged

Pennyforthoughts
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #9 - Oct 23rd, 2013 at 4:07pm
Print Post  
Beautiful!

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Reply #10 - Mar 30th, 2014 at 10:15pm
Print Post  
Here's a Liberty Hill specimen I picked up from Ron Koenig at the Tar Heel Gem and Mineral show today.

6 x 2 x 2 cm

xx564.JPG ( 293 KB | 174 Downloads )
xx564.JPG

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

joshua_mcduffie
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #11 - Sep 18th, 2019 at 8:11am
Print Post  
Anyone know if there's anywhere in Liberty Hill still open for digging, or that can be open with landowner's permission?  Any leads? Cool

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint