Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Fluorescent field lamps (Read 1533 times)
ieye360
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Fluorescent field lamps
Mar 2nd, 2013 at 8:58am
Print Post  
Hi, i am new to the forum and have a question.  I am an amateur rockhound who is interested in buying a fluorescent lamp for field collecting.  What would be a good, bright, lamp that i could use while walking around (not bent over) scanning the ground with it, sufficiently bright enough to illuminate minerals 10+ feet away (not those lamps that you have to be within 5 inches of the specimen for them to even work).  Something VERY bright.  Something others have used and can attest to it's quality and brightness.  I have found some doing a google search and found links for others on other websites related to this topic, and it's all over the board...advice given by people who DON'T collect or who are trying to sell THEIR equipment.  The fluorescent society forum sucks as a source of information.  Maybe people here can help.  Thanks.   Smiley

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Re: Fluorescent field lamps
Reply #1 - Mar 4th, 2013 at 8:47am
Print Post  
I use a Raytech lamp myself, unfortunately, I cannot compare it to other brands on the market since this is the only one I have owned.  I purchased this one because it has the option of being portable as well as an AC plug in adapter.  I've used it in the field several times and It can light up specimens up to 10 ft away.  Obviously, the closer the better, but that will be true no matter how powerful your lamp is.  This lamp gives you the option of having two bulbs -- one short wave and one long wave, in order to cover the full ultraviolet spectrum.  Although there are minerals that fluoresce only under long wave and not under short those are very few.  I elected to get two short wave bulbs in my Ratech so that I would have a more powerful shortwave projection.  Not only do more minerals fluoresce under shortwave, but most minerals that fluoresce glow even brighter under shortwave as opposed to long wave.

http://www.usgeologicalsupply.com/raytech-raytector-5-2-portable-longwave-shortw...

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint