Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Hiddenite healed scepter (Read 5028 times)
Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Hiddenite healed scepter
Apr 7th, 2013 at 11:08pm
Print Post  
At the Tarheel Gem & Mineral Show this weekend, I couldn't resist purchasing this Hiddenite specimen after Dave Hart showed it to me.  Its a crystal that appears to have broken and healed, and then a scepter grew from the healed surface.
« Last Edit: Apr 8th, 2013 at 1:57pm by Scott LaBorde »  

xx364.JPG ( 260 KB | 126 Downloads )
xx364.JPG
xx365.JPG ( 273 KB | 133 Downloads )
xx365.JPG
xx366.JPG ( 238 KB | 139 Downloads )
xx366.JPG
xx367.JPG ( 243 KB | 120 Downloads )
xx367.JPG

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

Laurie Adams
Ex Member

Re: Hiddenite healed scepter
Reply #1 - Apr 8th, 2013 at 8:30am
Print Post  
Awesome crystal Scott.  I think the crystal was never actually broken, but went through periods of interrupted growth, which caused the "rehealing" you referred to.  If you examine it under the loupe, I think you will find multiple tiny "steps" of crystal faces rather than conchoidal fracturing.  Had the crystal actually been shattered in the pocket, any regrowth on that broken crystal would reflect the "post breakage" positioning of the crystal, such that the new growth would not be epitaxial on the old growth.  In other words, the new scepter growth would not be parallel and in line with the old growth, it would be oriented at a different angle to the original crystal.  (That's my theory and I'm sticking to it).  I have found this same phenomenon on many specimens, but few show it so well as this one.  Excellent purchase!

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Reply #2 - Apr 8th, 2013 at 9:16am
Print Post  
Laurie, there is definitely no conchoidal fractures on the crystal -- one of the main reasons I purchased it.  Joe, Dave, and I all assumed this theory as we aren't used to seeing such an abrupt or planar surface before a "reverse" scepter on a specimen before.  The healing pattern on the surface surrounding this scepter is very similar to the pattern I see on healed crystals that were obviously broken in the past.  But since I have little experience determining the difference between healed growth after periods of interruption or dissolution, and actual fractured crystals then your theory is just as sound if not better.

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

XTLDGGR
YaBB Newbies

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Reply #3 - Apr 8th, 2013 at 3:04pm
Print Post  
Killer crystal Scott!

I love odd quartz crystal morphology. Excellent aquisition to add to collection.

John

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #4 - Apr 9th, 2013 at 8:59am
Print Post  
Great pics, Scott. Thanks!

IP Logged

dave

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #5 - Apr 9th, 2013 at 9:54am
Print Post  
yeah, glad that made it into your pocket and found your camera lens. I've got a handful of things i gotta bring by sometime soon for you to photo, including one of those scepters i picked up, perfect double term. rutile imbedded in a double term scepter.
nice photos as always,

-Dave

IP Logged

Rebecca
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #6 - Apr 9th, 2013 at 10:00am
Print Post  
I love it! That is awesome. Feels unique for hiddenite, to me. Did I miss the size?
Cause I have about 50 from Douglas Lake.  Grin joking!!! But I have one or two. Which still isn't a lot since I have hundreds of crystals from there.
Always nice pics.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint