Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Type of Rock Hammer and where to buy? (Read 26418 times)
Peter
YaBB Newbies

Hi Ho! Hi Ho! A digging
we will go.

Type of Rock Hammer and where to buy?
Aug 4th, 2013 at 6:25am
Print Post  
Hammer. I need to find a good rock hammer but don't see one anywhere I go. I look at every shop I'm in that has hammers but yet to find one. Well, I see them all the time in the hands of other diggers but where do I get one and what is a good brand? I may have to order one on line unless someone knows where they have them near Gastonia, NC.

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Re: Type of Rock Hammer and where to buy?
Reply #1 - Aug 5th, 2013 at 9:13am
Print Post  
I believe estwing is probably your best bet on rock hammers.  Most hardware stores do not carry geological hammers in stock, although they may order them for you if you asked.  Also, what type of rock hammer are you looking for?  I had to order my hammers online myself.  In my opinion, if there was one hammer you should always have in your inventory it's a crack hammer.  It will be the most versatile and useful.  (example:  http://www.estwing.com/g_crack_hammers.php)

You will be able to split small boulders without a chisel, you will be able to split larger boulders with a chisel, and it will last forever.  I used to use the normal rock pick hammers (example: http://www.estwing.com/g_rock_pick_long_handle.php)  But the pick end will eventually wear out or even break off and you will have to re-sharpen it and eventually buy a new one.  Also, there's just not enough weight behind those pick hammers to really get much work done on their own.  I think a crack hammer an chisel(s) will be much more effective for any hard rock mining.  The only down side is that you have to bring two tools with you instead of one, but I sincerely believe that the benefit outweighs the cost.  I saw an Estwing crack hammer on ebay you could snag if you want.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Estwing-No-83-4-lb-Nylon-Handle-Metal-Head-Mallet-Hammer-/390638001156?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5af3d6dc04

Happy hammer hunting.   Grin

Scott

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

Timh
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #2 - Aug 5th, 2013 at 8:42pm
Print Post  
Not a hammer by any means, but for a very useful tool for scratching, probing and light digging get a small pointing trowel. You can find them in any hardware where the masonry stuff is. I rockhounded for 30 years and it never occurred to me to use one until I saw a post on RHL a year or so ago by JoeM showing him using one. It is now my favorite tool. Be sure it is a pointing trowel as they are much stiffer than a regular trowel.
And, thanks JoeM for enlightening me on this with your posts !!

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #3 - Aug 6th, 2013 at 11:15pm
Print Post  
Heck yeah, Tim. I don't see what's so great about the pointy end
on those so called "rock hammers" anyway. Never owned one.
I've always used the flat tapered-end brick hammers you can
find at any Lowes or Home Depot. Most come with a Lifetime
warranty these days in case you break it.

And the hammer on the left in the pic below is a "crack" hammer
also from Lowes or Home Depot. I recommend atleast a 4 lb
crack hammer.
The 3 pounders just don't have enough heft. I think they make them for girls,
but I could be wrong about that. Roll Eyes

Chisels I buy at the flea-market. Go out and rummage thru the bottom
of some old tool boxes and pull out the chisels. I don't think
I've paid more than a dollar for a chisel in years.

Happy Hunting,
Joe

DSC04615.JPG ( 327 KB | 197 Downloads )
DSC04615.JPG

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint