Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Micromounting vs Thumbnails (Read 5005 times)
dan

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Micromounting vs Thumbnails
Sep 22nd, 2013 at 10:14am
Print Post  
I have collected cabinet sized specimens for a long time and now starting to think about adding either thumbnails or micros to the collection.  I would love some opinions about which of the two you favor:  Micros or thumbnails.  One of my concerns is the cost of the microscope.

Laurie, I know you have some great thumbnails but I wanted to know how you attached them in the box. 

Folks, I look forward to any and all opinions.  Thanks.

IP Logged

Laurie Adams
Ex Member

Re: Micromounting vs Thumbnails
Reply #1 - Sep 22nd, 2013 at 10:24am
Print Post  
Dan, you might want to "work your way down" to micros until you get a scope.  Micros require magnification and are seldom display pieces, so make sure you are sufficiently excited about them before investing in a scope, which will cost you 500 bucks on average. Many thumbnails have crystals that need a loupe or scope to appreciate also.  I use "mineral tack", made just for the purpose, to mount my specimens.  It It does not leave an oliy residue like other puttys or clays, and can be easily removed without damage to the specimen.  Go to Shannon and Sons minerals to get a pack.  Google it.  By the way, I have just added a couple hundred new thumbnails to my inventory.

IP Logged

Timh
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #2 - Sep 22nd, 2013 at 10:30pm
Print Post  
Laurie,
You now have one less thumbnail ! Thanks.

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Reply #3 - Sep 23rd, 2013 at 8:30am
Print Post  
I currently do not have any micromounts in my collection, although I know I've got several specimens that would definitely qualify.  I did want to chime in just to add some "food for thought" so to speak.

There are several advantages in going smaller.  With smaller specimens you are able to get much more perfectly formed crystals.  They will be cheaper.  You will save space.  Trading is easier as many micro mounter/ thumbnail collectors have a surplus of specimens.  And you will easily be able to expand the variety of your collection.

The preference is subjective and may very well change with time.  I've noticed how collectors often times move from initially collecting cabinet size and then switch to thumbnails or micros but never go in the opposite direction.  And logically so -- space becomes an issue with cabinet size after a while.

There is a large network of collectors out there for these smaller size specimens and I'm sure you would have no problem expanding, trading, and improving your collection once you got into it.  It all about personal preference at this point, and whether or not you want to invest the time getting into that world.  If you do end up exploring it, I would be very interested in seeing what you come up with as I've been interested in that "world" for sometime now.  I personally would be interested in the thumbnail size as I would still be able to capture the beauty with my macro lens as oppose to having to purchase a microscope.

Scott

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

dan

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #4 - Sep 23rd, 2013 at 8:47am
Print Post  
Scott,
Is your macro lens on a dino-lite or similiar camera?

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Reply #5 - Sep 23rd, 2013 at 3:41pm
Print Post  
No, just a regular Cannon Rebel DSLR.

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #6 - Sep 23rd, 2013 at 9:05pm
Print Post  
Sounds like you have allready decided on the thumbnails, Dan. Smiley
That would be my preference.
Even tho the microscopic "world" is an integral part of the hobby
I don't know that, as a collector, micros would be enough for me.
Besides for the expense of a microscope you would need to add on
a good camera to record your explorations and share them with others.
And as Scott pointed out, the world of micros can be appreciated with thumbnails, or any size specimen for that matter.
You might as well admit now Grin that no matter what you decide,
you'll still be lugging home that cabinet specimen, for the back porch,
every once in a while. Wink

I hope to make it out to the artifact show in Henderson this Saturday
and will get in touch if i can stop by for rocks.
Joe

IP Logged

dan

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #7 - Sep 23rd, 2013 at 11:39pm
Print Post  
Joe,
I am just lookin into it and gathering ideas from folks.  May very well stay with cabinet sized and just have to make room for another curio cabinet.   Grin  We may have to reinforce the room's floor.

I would be going with the thumbnails or even the micros to pick up minerals that I don't have in my collection.  It seems like you can pick up varieties that you cannot find in cabinet size, at least in affordable prices. 

Saturday should work depending on what time you want to stop by.  Just give a yell.  I have only sold off have of the box so far.   Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint