Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic False Morels vs Morels (Read 2978 times)
dan

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

False Morels vs Morels
Dec 29th, 2013 at 5:36pm
Print Post  
What is the chance of confusing morels with the poisonous false morel?  Way early in the season but the question has been an active one in our house for a long time.

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Re: False Morels vs Morels
Reply #1 - Dec 30th, 2013 at 8:23am
Print Post  
The easiest way to tell a false morel from a real one is slicing it lengthwise down the middle.  The real ones are always hollow and the false ones are not.

Here is a website the has pictures of false and real morels.

http://thegreatmorel.com/falsemorel.html

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

dan

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #2 - Dec 30th, 2013 at 12:49pm
Print Post  
Scott,
Do you keep the mushrooms separate while collecting so no poison is passed?  Or just place in a container and when you get home check them out and toss the false morels.

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Reply #3 - Dec 30th, 2013 at 2:11pm
Print Post  
Generally, yes that's what I've done.  I was careful to slice everyone down the middle insuring that they were all the real deal before eating them.  I find it hard to believe that having a false morel touch some of your real ones would be enough to poison anyone, but I'm definitely no Paul Stamets so don't quote me.  I've yet to have found a false morel ever so it's never been an issue for me.  Of course I've only just begun hunting morels within the past few years.  Dave, the one who got me into it, has been hunting them for many years so hopefully he'll chime in with some knowledge.

Here's another article I found online:

http://www.thepoisonreview.com/2011/05/29/false-morel-poisoning-in-michigan/

I think proper identification without even picking them can be done relatively easy.  Notice how the false morels have what looks more like a brain fold pattern whereas the real morels have distinct honeycomb like cells.  Simply peruse all the images and I think you will be well prepared and not be fooled out in the field.
« Last Edit: Dec 30th, 2013 at 4:05pm by Scott LaBorde »  

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

dan

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #4 - Dec 30th, 2013 at 5:19pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the info!  I am going to look for them this spring.

IP Logged

dave

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #5 - Dec 30th, 2013 at 9:45pm
Print Post  
I too have yet to find a false morel so i can't really compare on first hand knowledge. I wouldn't suspect the toxins would transfer to the real ones though. Like Scott say, after a good soak/rinse just cut in half, if hollow all the way from top to bottom, you're good to go.

In the field i would suggest a mesh bag (so spores drop out as you walk around) or atleast a brown bag, anything closed or plastic traps in moisture and can rot the morels fairly quickly. Even in the fridge at home, no plastic.

-Dave

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint