Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Neuse River? (Read 7889 times)
MikeB
YaBB Newbies

SmokeyMtn. Dreamer

Neuse River?
Jan 20th, 2014 at 10:45pm
Print Post  
new rockhound here in wake co. and live near the Neuse River by Falls Lake dam...just wondering if its legal to poke around there...if so has anyone tried that area or found anything...if not is there any place in the area close for me to get started no matter what i may find...thanks for any info.

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Re: Neuse River?
Reply #1 - Jan 21st, 2014 at 8:16am
Print Post  
I have not personally found much in that area, although you have the chance of finding kyanite and garnets in the mica schist that permeates the area.  Magnetite is also present there.  Indians were closely associated with the Neuse River, thus artifacts can be found around it.  In any case it's worth checking out the rocks in the area, you'll learn a lot about the local geology and also begin a good Wake County collection.

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

MikeB
YaBB Newbies

SmokeyMtn. Dreamer

Reply #2 - Jan 21st, 2014 at 2:42pm
Print Post  
thanks scott, im thinkin bout braving the cold this weekend with my 2 boys on the banks to see what the rains and the dam may have loosened up. really looking forward to learning more about all the different types of rocks and gettin to spend some time bonding with my kids. just seeing them have a good time will be more satisfying than finding anything. but thanks for your help scott...talk to ya soon

IP Logged

MikeB
YaBB Newbies

SmokeyMtn. Dreamer

Reply #3 - Jan 21st, 2014 at 3:50pm
Print Post  
also do ya know if its actually legal to dig a little in the banks or the floor of the river? just wanna make sure im doin the right thing. i know i cant dig or prospect in state parks...im not sure but i believe that paricular area is considered part of the forestry service...any info would be great...thanks again scott.

IP Logged

dan

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #4 - Jan 21st, 2014 at 3:52pm
Print Post  
Guys,
I think that collecting in the state park is not allowed.  Don't know what happens if you are caught.

IP Logged

MikeB
YaBB Newbies

SmokeyMtn. Dreamer

Reply #5 - Jan 21st, 2014 at 4:51pm
Print Post  
well after some investigating...the actual start of the nuese river at the falls river dam is under the jurisdiction of the army core of engineers....of course they didnt answer so ill have to call them tomorrow to get more info but the state ranger i talked to at the parks dept said he didnt think they would have a problem with collecting on exposed river beds.

IP Logged

dan

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #6 - Jan 21st, 2014 at 7:01pm
Print Post  
Good to hear about collecting along the river.  I don't know how much of the river bank fall under the state park system.

IP Logged

MikeB
YaBB Newbies

SmokeyMtn. Dreamer

Reply #7 - Jan 21st, 2014 at 9:07pm
Print Post  
the actual banks at the actual dam are erosion protected by big rocks...they are replacing the bridge on old falls neuse rd. also but the park ranger i talked to said they dont police down river once you get past the new bridge. if the weather is nice this weekend...im gonna go do a lil recon down river

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #8 - Jan 21st, 2014 at 9:39pm
Print Post  
Hey guys, sorry to get in here late.
As far as collecting on Falls Lake, Jordan or Kerr, being reservoirs. state parks, game lands, etc.,
federal and state laws apply and, basically, it's illegal to remove anything from the park
or lake shores without a permit.
And I don't know if you'll be able to get one for rocks. Roll Eyes
Of course, we don't want to be extreme here, and the occasional interesting rock here and there is no big deal,
but you definitely don't want to plan on doing any digging.

That being said, during dry conditions when the water level of the lake drops
the shoreline is the best classroom you could ever ask for.
Many great interesting places to investigate. Bartons Creek is known for great examples of chlorite and actinolite in talc.
And at the end of Tharrington Rd. off Old 98 there's a canyon on your right
draining into the lake infront of you that's full of big rocks
studded with garnets.
The garnets are not gem grade but it's a beautiful spot to visit.
The neighbors at the end of Tharrington Rd keep putting up No Trespassing/No Parking signs.
I don't know if they have the right to? If you are talking with a ranger
you may want to ask about that. Wink

Never heard of anyone having a problem with collecting along the river thru there.
Now that they have finished the Greenway from the dam to damn near Clayton!
it's pretty easy to access.
If it's not underwater, the gravel bar at the mouth of Richland Creek
is usually good for an artifact or two. Wink

Joe

IP Logged

MikeB
YaBB Newbies

SmokeyMtn. Dreamer

Reply #9 - Jan 21st, 2014 at 10:23pm
Print Post  
thanks joe, ill have to check out those spots you mentioned...i knew about not collecting in the parks area though...once in a while there are some gravel patches at the start of the neuse there around the bridge and a few places down river with awesome access along the greenway like you had mentioned...me and my kids ride bikes on the greenway every so often...but with all the rain lately not sure...im gonna go do a lil recon there this weekend if the weather is nice....is digging ok in those places that you mentioned?...if not oh well...it would be cool regardless....also not sure if anything could be found but at the boat launch downtown smithfield if you go up river a lil bit there is some gravel patches from time to time also.

IP Logged

MikeB
YaBB Newbies

SmokeyMtn. Dreamer

Reply #10 - Jan 21st, 2014 at 10:27pm
Print Post  
if i find anything of note while im there this weekend joe, ill post pics of it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint