Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Belts and Hotspots (Read 14892 times)
Collin

RockHoundLounger

Belts and Hotspots
Feb 21st, 2014 at 12:48pm
Print Post  
Hello all,
After doing some research on this site and a few others, I have noticed a trend of hot spots and areas producing crystals and facets.  I've gone to many areas around NC and noticed some spots not having any rocks at all.  Some areas can go from sand to rocks within a few miles apart.

Can someone explain the Milton & Raleigh belt to me?  Are there areas within the belt that have shown to be more promising than others?  Is there a trend to follow after finding an initial hotspot with fissures?  Are there belts in North Carolina that should avoided for gem collecting? 

I found this that helped make some sense of the general geology

http://www.geology.enr.state.nc.us/maps/NC_Generalized_Geologic_Map_Description.pdf

I have attached the picture I based this off of.  Hopefully it doesn't appear to be huge.

Thanks!
-Collin

northcarolinabig.jpg ( 617 KB | 591 Downloads )
northcarolinabig.jpg

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Re: Belts and Hotspots
Reply #1 - Feb 21st, 2014 at 4:22pm
Print Post  
Yes to all of that, Colin. Wink
The geology of NC is very complicated, because of all the different
"events and episodes" that have taken place during it's formation.
Which, in case you're interested, is the same reason fracking is not a good idea for the state of NC.

That map is a very necessary tool for any rockhound.
While you are out exploring it's nice to have an idea of what you are "supposed" to be finding
in that particular area.
The State Geology Dept. used to have a bigger and more detailed version that you can order online.

Maybe we'll get the chance to talk more tomorrow.
Joe

IP Logged

Collin

RockHoundLounger

Reply #2 - Feb 21st, 2014 at 4:30pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the reply Joe.  I might need to order one of those maps!  I'll talk to you some more about it tomorrow.
Thanks!

IP Logged

MikeB
YaBB Newbies

SmokeyMtn. Dreamer

Reply #3 - Feb 21st, 2014 at 9:14pm
Print Post  
im still tryin to figure out what the heck all that says on that map...much less use it to know what im looking for in an area lol...geology 101 here i come lol.

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #4 - Feb 21st, 2014 at 11:27pm
Print Post  
Yeah, Mike, that's the part about Rockhoundin' lot of folks don't appreciate;
there's a whole lot of readin' and research to it. Wink

And at first, all the names and terms do seem mindboggling,
but I've found after you read about something 5 or 6 times some of it starts to stick. Smiley

IP Logged

Dennis

Beryl is good!

Reply #5 - Feb 24th, 2014 at 5:06pm
Print Post  
Hey Collin,

Joe is right about how complicated the geology of NC is.  If we had been slammed by Africa multiple times, folded, erupted, heated, recrystalized, and eroded over eons we would be a little complicated, too.

I'm not a geologist but I've studied the geological survey maps a bit.  They can be confusing, but I've been able to make some sense of the maps and the terminology.

The various belts (Milton and Raleigh Belts included) are a result of the various slams by Africa and how the various metamorphic and intrusive rocks (igneous for the most part) were formed, moved about, and finally became situated today.  If you look at each belt and figure out the rock types found in each you can get a good idea where potential hotspots may occur. 

The Milton Belt is comprised mostly of metamorphic rocks that consist of biotite gneiss and schist (CZbg) and felsic mica schist (CZfg) which can produce garnets, kyanite, quartz, and feldspar crystals, and other minerals.  Milton also has areas of intrusive rocks like granites (PPg) and diabase (Jd), and can also produce various minerals like those above.

The Raleigh Belt and belts further west can and do produce quality mineral specimens, too.  It's just a matter of finding surface exposures of the rocks and discovering pockets in the weathered saprolite.  East of Raleigh the pickings get slim to none.

This a very simplified explanation.  Good luck in your quest for digging sites.  Keep studying NC's complex geology.  It's facinating.

Dennis

IP Logged

Collin

RockHoundLounger

Reply #6 - Feb 28th, 2014 at 10:03am
Print Post  
Hey Dennis,

Thanks for making sense of my questions.  I think I am starting to understand it a lot more than I used to..

Neat stuff!

-Collin

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #7 - May 7th, 2016 at 10:36pm
Print Post  
Just thought I'd bump this back up because you can't study those maps enough! Wink

IP Logged

lizziebird

RockHoundLounger

Reply #8 - May 8th, 2016 at 11:03am
Print Post  
Absolutely right - I love maps!  Seen this one before, but enjoyed seeing it again and always disappointed that every time I look at it, I'm still right in the middle of the sandstone/mudstone region of Orange/Durham county.   Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint