Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Amelia County, VA yard sale (Read 3168 times)
Tim4d
God Member

I like creeks & rivers
to do the digging for
me.

Amelia County, VA yard sale
Jul 5th, 2014 at 2:50pm
Print Post  
My first purchase on the 100-Mile Yard Sale on Hwy 360 & 460. A local prospector set up at the first big stop in Amelia County at Chula Junction. Long beryl from Morefield Mine, top, and clockwise, kyanite unknown locality, prehenite Loudon County quarry, and beryl from Dobbins Prospect, Amelia County, which was covered by a house a few years ago.

image_070.jpg ( 1222 KB | 111 Downloads )
image_070.jpg

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Re: Amelia County, VA yard sale
Reply #1 - Jul 5th, 2014 at 9:10pm
Print Post  
Score! Cheesy Awesome piece of Kyanite!

IP Logged

lagniappe
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #2 - Jul 5th, 2014 at 9:53pm
Print Post  
Yes really nice Kyanite! Now I know why there were so many yard sale signs when we were headed to Scufflin. Is this a yearly thing?

I went to the really big one that goes from Alabama to Ohio a few years ago. Went through TN and Kentucky for 3 days. Picked up some really large geodes out there.

IP Logged

Tim4d
God Member

I like creeks & rivers
to do the digging for
me.

Reply #3 - Jul 6th, 2014 at 3:40am
Print Post  
Second or third year for the 100-Mile Yard Sale, so it's still young compared to Kentucky.
Kyanite is nice, but prize is the Dobbins beryl. This was a site across Butlers Road from the Morefield Mine. Several years ago I knocked on the owners door and had a nice long talk but answer was no. Apparently he was tired of being asked, because he told me he was going to build a house for his daughter right on top of the pit and pile!  It was so tempting because you could see it from the road, but of course I stayed out. Sure enough, soon a house was built smack on top of a Dobbins Prospect. Dobbins beryl more gemmy than typical Morefield beryl, which tends to be altered/replaced.

IP Logged

Tim4d
God Member

I like creeks & rivers
to do the digging for
me.

Reply #4 - Jul 6th, 2014 at 3:43am
Print Post  
No, real prize was making a new friend. Seller is Amelia County native and is an active Rockhound.  So this mineral wonderland is his back yard territory. I hope to tag along soon.  Cheesy

IP Logged

lagniappe
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #5 - Jul 7th, 2014 at 2:24pm
Print Post  
My husband grew up in Amelia. They had a 1000 acres there and I often wonder what might be found on that farm. He did say they had a lot of mica on the property.

I haven't been to Morefield in quite a few years and I'm hoping they still plan on being open this fall. Would like to get back over there and pick up a few things. I have a few really nice micro specimens, including purple prosopite.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint