Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) "Ebeneezer's Folly" Rock (Read 8858 times)
Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Re: "Ebeneezer's Folly" Rock
Reply #15 - Jan 29th, 2015 at 11:05am
Print Post  
Thanks for that information rockytop.  I'll definitely have to check that spot out next time I'm out that direction.  It would be nice to have a rare NC geode in my collection.

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

rockytoprockshop

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Reply #16 - Feb 2nd, 2015 at 4:37pm
Print Post  
Some of these samples from Ebeneezer's Folly remind me of tiny quartz aggregates laid in a ground mass of sedimentary rock (mudstones, clastic flows, etc., etc.) that has been re-subjected to heat and metamorphism? I guess I'd call it a meta-sedimentary rock. Pretty cool whatever the heck it is. I was told that on the west flank of Shelter Mountain off Hwy. 73 near its intersection with 24/27 that a similar rock was found there that was mis-identified as a fossil. A fellow that use to run the motel there in Troy showed a few to me and they looked very similar. That's the same mountain that the famed "Sam Christian gold mine" is on that literature says produced a few nuggets to 5 pounds. I read somewhere that the Sam Christian was one of the first mines in this part of the state to use hydraulic systems pumping the water many miles from the PeeDee reducing the pipe size so that a tremendous force of water came out by the time it reached the mine. The "cut" that it made is still visible on the mountain today but obviously grown up by many years of tree growth. I've always wondered about these stories of 5 pound nuggets and one knows that surely there has to be others still there that the old timers missed!

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #17 - Feb 3rd, 2015 at 5:38pm
Print Post  
Sure do appreciate all the background and history you are
sharing with us, rockytop. Good Stuff! Smiley

IP Logged

rockytoprockshop

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Reply #18 - Feb 4th, 2015 at 10:32am
Print Post  
Joe,

As you know I think, my health hasn't been the best in the past few years. Uncontrolled high blood pressure and stress along with what I hate to admit but in all honesty... depression at times has lead to inactivity, weight gain, and health problems. There was a time not to many years ago that if it was a weekend, I was in the woods digging somewhere but personal problems changed all that right under my nose. I'm trying so hard to not only get myself physically back in shape but also my mental state of mind as well and that means that I want to care again about the things that have given me pleasure in my life such as "rockhounding". There have been moments that sadly, I did not care. That's a terrible feeling, one that sadly many folks these days experience at least once in their lives and one that I hope that I don't make a habit of. I'm someone who truely enjoys the history of minerals, mining, locations, and the special people I've meet along the way as much as the minerals themselves. I guess I have a habit sometimes of getting a little to "long-winded" when on the subject. Anyway, I enjoy reading all of your post and others on this site and other sites...heck it gives me something to do you know? Good to know that folks are out there finding new minerals and keeping this great hobby going. The one thing that I have seen in my 35 years of doing this is allot of good sites...gone....lost forever, and sadly allot of history with them. Opps....here I go again....rambling. I hope that 2015 rewards everyone who loves this hobby with great things and I look forward to seeing, hearing and reading about it as it encourages me to get back out there if not for the minerals at least to make allot more good memories! Best of luck to you all.

Mike

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #19 - Feb 4th, 2015 at 10:46pm
Print Post  
Thanks, Mike.
I don't know how much longer I'm going to be able to get out and hunt like I used to either.
There are just so many places that need to be field checked. Wink
Since you aren't getting out like you used to, recording the
history, descriptions of sites as you knew them, stories and tall tales,
is important information and I'm very glad to see how long-winded you get.

Rock On,
Joe

IP Logged

rockytoprockshop

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Reply #20 - Feb 5th, 2015 at 8:23am
Print Post  
Joe,

Thanks, yeah I've had a heck of a time getting my blood pressure under control going from one medicine to another. It can suddenly spike without warning to 168/127 or so and I feel like a ton of brick has instantly been put on my head, then I get the tightness in the neck, etc. Scares the heck of me when it happens. I've been slowly trying to walk and build up my pace again. Doc says that its 30% inactivity and 70% stress related. I gonna beat it though and I am determined to improve not only my health again but also my state of mind. Sometimes even in the face of the greatest challenges a person has to step back and start over and do what they have to improve their situation. I have so many old sites that I use to know about that I need to get myself back out there again and see what I can find you know. Even when I don't find anything, just getting out does me good. Keep on digging Joe and lots of luck to you.

Cheers!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint