Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic New spot 10-07-14 (Read 2160 times)
FireOnTheMountain

RockHoundLounger

New spot 10-07-14
Oct 7th, 2014 at 10:23pm
Print Post  
Found this huge crystal while scouting out a new spot. Hasn't been cleaned yet. I have it soaking right now. I can't wait to see it once it's done!

I will post some more pics once it's clean

IP Logged

Tim4d
God Member

I like creeks & rivers
to do the digging for
me.

Re: New spot 10-07-14
Reply #1 - Oct 7th, 2014 at 11:31pm
Print Post  
Wow!

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Reply #2 - Oct 8th, 2014 at 5:04am
Print Post  
Goodness that's a honker.  Well done with that one!  There should be more where that one came from.   Shocked

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

FireOnTheMountain

RockHoundLounger

Reply #3 - Oct 8th, 2014 at 10:12am
Print Post  
Yeah it's the biggest one I have found so far. I've found broken crystals of this size but never the whole thing. I couldn't believe I found it! It was completely upside down in the ground with just the bottom exposed. It looked nothing like a crystal, just a piece of random milky white quartz. I saw a portion of what looked like a flat face and started messing around to get it out. I started pulling it up and the sides kept going. The hole it left in the dirt was like a perfect crystal mold. When I got it up and flipped it over I just about died! I couldn't believe it!
I have it soaking right now. It seems pretty weathered but hopefully it cleans up nice. I'm seeing some translucency in the top half which is exciting! Grin

IP Logged

Collin

RockHoundLounger

Reply #4 - Oct 8th, 2014 at 10:33am
Print Post  
Nice find FOM, wonder if there is anymore out there?!

IP Logged

FireOnTheMountain

RockHoundLounger

Reply #5 - Oct 8th, 2014 at 10:58am
Print Post  
There's got to be! I found the vein nearby, or at least one of the veins. I'm gonna dig into it and see what turns up.

IP Logged

L82Play

RockHoundLounger

Reply #6 - Oct 8th, 2014 at 11:38am
Print Post  
that's a pretty amazing find - good eye!!!

sung to the tune of 'Green Acres'
Erosion is the thing for me
I just don't like to dig - you see
Picking rocks up right off the ground
is good enough for this lucky old rockhound

IP Logged

rockytoprockshop

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Reply #7 - Oct 27th, 2014 at 11:22am
Print Post  
Fire,

Some years ago, I found very similar quartz in a couple locations in Montgomery County. One location was in a road bank on the right side of the road in a quartz outcropping on Hwy. 109 as you start down the hill from the Uwharrie trail access point. Some of these were 8 to 10 pounds, most had a frosted surface, many were broken but no all of them. The problem there was that it was so close to the road. Another site was near Hurley Road near Flint Hill. Some really nice crystals were found there, a couple up to 8" long with chlorite phantoms. The smaller examples were very clear but the larger ones usually had a "frosting" on them. There was a similar spot in southern Montgomery that had "platy" quartz that would show faces, not good crystals but these sometimes had small golden rutiles on them and hematite blebs. A local in that area told me that he'd found a small complete crystal with a few rutiles in them although I didn't see it. No doubt about it, Montgomery and Randolph counties are hot-spots for quartz, your finding some really nice material and I wish you the best of luck.

Cheers, Mike

IP Logged

FireOnTheMountain

RockHoundLounger

Reply #8 - Nov 5th, 2014 at 7:22am
Print Post  
I think I know which road side spot you're talking about

IP Logged

rockytoprockshop

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Reply #9 - Nov 5th, 2014 at 9:26am
Print Post  
Fire,

Yeah its not hard to find, its pretty much the first outcropping of quartz you see on the right coming downhill towards Uwharrie from where you park to get on the trail. Its right beside the road. You use to be able to tell where folks had dug. I was there one time and a state tropper came by and asked me what I was doing. Told him and he warned me about getting into the road. He kept driving by and watching so I left. Some of those crystals where 8" with a frosted surface but they were clear on the inside but it wasn't worth ticking off the fuzz. Anyway, there is allot better quartz in Montgomery County than that locality and isn't so exposed to everyone.

Cheers, Mike

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint