Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Workplace Rock Display (Read 814 times)
Tim4d
God Member

I like creeks & rivers
to do the digging for
me.

Workplace Rock Display
Oct 30th, 2014 at 3:49pm
Print Post  
In the military and civil service, people display commander coins they received via personal relationships with, or on-the-spot awards from, senior leaders.  (Coins are also won in bar bets.)  Sort of a trophy wall.  I've seen people who have hundreds under glass table  tops.  The coins always draw visitors' attention, so I put some rocks and mineral specimens alongside my coins in my cubicle to spur conversation.  It works, but I've yet to make a convert.  Does anyone else display rocks at work  to evangelize  the hobby?

desk_top.JPG ( 130 KB | 47 Downloads )
desk_top.JPG

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Re: Workplace Rock Display
Reply #1 - Oct 30th, 2014 at 5:24pm
Print Post  
Very cool Tim4d.  I've got rocks all over my office.  I work in a 3 story building where roughly 100 others work.  In the past 6 years I've worked there I've occasionally brought in flats of rocks to give away.  I would set them in the first floor kitchen, and send a company wide email "free rocks".  Being in IT I got the opportunity to visit everyone's office multiple times a year as I helped resolve issues or switched out computers.  It was a real treat seeing all these random offices with my rocks on various shelves, desks, and stands throughout the building.  Someone once told me I was spreading the energy of the crystals all around me in that building -- creating a vortex of positive energy.   Cool  If that's true, it wasn't my intention, but I wouldn't mind riding a vortex or two.   Wink

Scott

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

Tim4d
God Member

I like creeks & rivers
to do the digging for
me.

Reply #2 - Oct 30th, 2014 at 7:40pm
Print Post  
I like the flats giveaway. I think I will try that. My building has about 700 people, so I could do it by groups.

IP Logged

Tim4d
God Member

I like creeks & rivers
to do the digging for
me.

Reply #3 - Oct 30th, 2014 at 7:42pm
Print Post  
And let us know how that vortex surfing turns out!

IP Logged

dirtslanger

Reply #4 - Oct 31st, 2014 at 8:59am
Print Post  
Good thinking Tim4D.  Shiny object get people's attention spark conversation and raise questions....like these:  1) Why the DECA button?  (My wife runs DECA at a high down school here in Georgia so I thought I would ask).  Also, how did you acquire that really shiny gold coin at the bottom?  I'm a vet so I have a few myself and coins like that usually have a little memory attached to them  Smiley

IP Logged

Tim4d
God Member

I like creeks & rivers
to do the digging for
me.

Reply #5 - Oct 31st, 2014 at 9:27am
Print Post  
DeCA -- Defense Commissary Agency, my employer.
I earned the bottom coin by cleaning out desks and cabinets, as the last government occupant of a suite of leased office space near the Pentagon before turnover to the building managers. It is a Coast Guard coin, and it was hiding way back in my own desk drawer, left behind by an occupant from years before. All the DeCA coins came from DeCA directors as on the spot thanks for jobs well done. The Archangel coin came from my stepson, a Gulf War I veteran. I don't recall how he got it. The Private Pickle came from the private himself! (Heinz costume character, since discontinued, who served on goodwill tours of military installations.)

IP Logged

NCGrampa

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Reply #6 - Nov 3rd, 2014 at 10:37am
Print Post  
I display my latest finds for a week to a month on top of my long file cabinet in my office.  Since I work in the textile industry, the rocks are surrounded by my "textile museum".  That is old small shuttles, spools, equipment and tools that are no long used in the industry.  This is at a small plant so there are not many people, but "new rocks" always spark interest and at least two people have been inspired to get into the hobby in the last couple of years.

2nd generation in my family to walk upright!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint