Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Mica with Inclusions (Read 2097 times)
Dennis

Beryl is good!

Mica with Inclusions
Nov 3rd, 2014 at 11:16am
Print Post  
I've been eager to get my collections displayed since I moved in August.  But, I'm still a month or more away from doing so. 

To keep my mind on my minerals I decided to focus  on a few aspects of the collection.  Mica with inclusions has been an interest of mine for many years, especially after I found my first garnets in mica in the early 1960s.

So, to start off this new topic I want to share some of my Mica with Inclusions specimens with you.  I will do two posts, the first with 5 specimen photos, and, the second with 4 photos.  Each photo identifies the minerals and the locality.  Enjoy.

Post your inclusions so we can see the variety.  Thanks.

Scott, I should have started this topic under Specimen Photos instead of General.  You can move it if you want to.  I don't know how to move it.  Thanks.

Dennis

« Last Edit: Nov 3rd, 2014 at 12:21pm by Dennis »  

Almandine_in_Muscovite_1.jpg ( 77 KB | 130 Downloads )
Almandine_in_Muscovite_1.jpg
Almandine_in_Muscovite_2.jpg ( 80 KB | 124 Downloads )
Almandine_in_Muscovite_2.jpg
Almandine_in_Muscovite_3.jpg ( 105 KB | 118 Downloads )
Almandine_in_Muscovite_3.jpg
Biotite_in_Muscovite.jpg ( 106 KB | 128 Downloads )
Biotite_in_Muscovite.jpg
Metatorbernite_in_Muscovite.jpg ( 105 KB | 118 Downloads )
Metatorbernite_in_Muscovite.jpg

IP Logged

Dennis

Beryl is good!

Re: Mica with Inclusions
Reply #1 - Nov 3rd, 2014 at 11:18am
Print Post  
Mica with Inclusions, Page 2: 4 photos.

Rutile_in_Clinochlore.jpg ( 102 KB | 111 Downloads )
Rutile_in_Clinochlore.jpg
Schorl_in_Muscovite_1.jpg ( 93 KB | 131 Downloads )
Schorl_in_Muscovite_1.jpg
Schorl_in_Muscovite_2.jpg ( 129 KB | 103 Downloads )
Schorl_in_Muscovite_2.jpg
Thulite_in_Muscovite.jpg ( 117 KB | 113 Downloads )
Thulite_in_Muscovite.jpg

IP Logged

rockytoprockshop

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Reply #2 - Nov 3rd, 2014 at 12:01pm
Print Post  
Dennis,

I agree, mica with inclusions were always one of my favorite's also. I've been able to acquire beryl, schrol, thulite, garnet, rutile, biotite and samarskite inclusions from NC thus far in good specimens. The torbernite specimen that you have is very nice. The Ray mine and many of the Spruce Pine mines produced accessory minerals trapped between layers of mica. Very nice specimens and thanks for posting the pics of them, enjoyed seeing them.

IP Logged

Dennis

Beryl is good!

Reply #3 - Nov 3rd, 2014 at 12:17pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the comments, Rockytop. 

I would love to add a beryl inclusion to my collection, but I never found any.  I found a good amount of beryl in Mitchell Co., but never included in mica.  I've seen some nice quartz included in mica in other collections, too, but never found any.  Of course, I have a few mica with hematite and manganese inclusions, but did not post them.  They are hard to photograph with my current camera.

I'd love to see your collection sometime, but it's a further drive now that I moved from Cary to Morganton.

Dennis

IP Logged

rockytoprockshop

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Reply #4 - Nov 3rd, 2014 at 3:34pm
Print Post  
Dennis,

Your welcome anytime to come by. Rockingham is a fair drive from Morganton. Most folks don't come my way unless their on a trip to the beach, we get allot of beach traffic in the summer. Actually, we are on the "fall-line" so there are some decent mineral collecting places very nearby Rockingham but east of here....sand, pines, and a few fossils scattered in. I've been fortunate to have two beryls in mica, one a large TN that I sold sadly enough years ago but the other a small cab with a nice beryl in it from the Ray. If I had two of them still, you'd be welcome to one of them but I've only got that one piece now. Might be hard to believe but I actually found a mica vein over in Anson County years ago that had a few cloudy quartz cystals sticking out of mica plates. The same granitic monolith outcropping that formed in my county spreads out across Anson's east side. There's a retired surveyor over there who found some beautiful clear yellowish smokies associated with perfect small mica books. He told me where to find them and I went there during the Summer one year, good Gosh ol' mighty I've never seen so many snakes, ticks, and briars in my life! The vein crosses a creek and when the water is high, its near impossible to get in. I didn't find any that day but found big mica books in quartz so I was close. I'd love to get him to take me one day if he would. There's a similar outcropping over my side of the river and I've seen small pale smokies associated with nicely formed mica but they are scarce. I only have found one but the vein is huge and is comprised of all crystallized mica, massive albite, white to grey quartz, and minor amounts of schrol. So if you do get down my way, all may not be lost for collecting oppertunities! Now up where you live....your in the hot spot! You've got good localities all around you! A fellow gave me directions many years ago to an old golden beryl prospect near Morganton that he claimed had golden beryl as good as Siberian! I've never seen any from there that good, although the South Mountains of Burke, Rutherford area do have some classic beryl localities. Anyway, yeah good chatting with you and again, thanks for sharing the pictures of the mica inclusions!

Best regards, Mike

IP Logged

Dennis

Beryl is good!

Reply #5 - Nov 3rd, 2014 at 4:02pm
Print Post  
Rockytop,

Thanks for the invite.  It sounds like you have some real nice places nearby to look for mica, quartz, and other goodies.

I can see Walker Top, from near downtown Morganton, where the Joel Walker Beryl Prospect was located, along with a couple of other old mica mines.  These sites produced some excellent specimens of Aquamarine, Golden Beryl, and Green Beryl in the early 1900s.  These areas are off limits now (private property and state gamelands), but I plan to scout the area once I get settled into the house.

I hope to get back to Mitchell Co. and check out some old mines.  I still have a few connections up there and access may be possible.

Dennis

IP Logged

rockytoprockshop

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Reply #6 - Nov 4th, 2014 at 8:24am
Print Post  
Dennis,

The Joel Walker place, that was the one that I couldn't think of yesterday. A fellow in Spruce Pines wrote down directions (map) to it for me many years ago but I never tried to find it. Like you were saying, Morganton is a fair haul for me. He was telling me about some of the fantastic goldens from there. I didn't know that it was off limits though. I wish I'd followed up more on "leads" that folks have given me over the years. I did on most of the local ones say within 50 miles but not so much on the long trip leads. Oh well.....I hope that you find some goodies up there in the Morganton area Dennis. One of my dreams has always been to retire up in the mountains. My area has some stuff, but nothing that can compare with many other parts of the state. I'm not far from the Uwharries and use to spend allot of time there looking for quartz, anatase, etc. but there's no beryls or exotic pegmatites there. Oddly enough, the only pegmatites that are even close to me are those within my own county and they are largely unsearched. They are probally the last of such deposits  east of Charlotte this far south. Of course you have the Raleigh area with all of its great potiential further north of me but east of Rockingham, its all sand my friend. Well, again I've enjoyed your post and seeing the mica specimens and hopefully one of these days I'll have a chance to meet you. Best of luck to you Dennis.

Cheers, Mike

IP Logged

Rebecca
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #7 - Nov 13th, 2014 at 8:15am
Print Post  
I love mica with inclusions! Those are great! Thanks for showing. I love the bottom left with schorl. And garnets look so nice in mica. Those garnets are really pretty.
I have made a couple of mica flowers featuring the garnets.
I have a few with biotite crystals..I didn't realize those were considered crystals. I have a few with kyanite that sit very pretty against the mica. Mica makes such a nice host/backdrop.
mica mica mica! love it!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint