Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Lazulite - January 2015 (Read 16206 times)
Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Lazulite - January 2015
Jan 2nd, 2015 at 10:43am
Print Post  
Lazulite ((Mg,Fe2+)Al2(PO4)2(OH)2) is a blue, phosphate mineral containing magnesium, iron, and aluminium phosphate. Lazulite forms one endmember of a solid solution series with the darker iron rich scorzalite.

Lazulite crystallizes in the monoclinic system. Crystal habits include steep bipyramidal or wedge-shaped crystals. Lazulite has a Mohs hardness of 5.5 to 6 and a specific gravity of 3.0 to 3.1. It is infusible and insoluble.

It forms by high grade metamorphism of high silica quartz rich rocks and in pegmatites. It occurs in association with quartz, andalusite, rutile, kyanite, corundum, muscovite, pyrophyllite, dumortierite, wagnerite, svanbergite and berlinite in metamorphic terrains; and with albite, quartz, muscovite, tourmaline and beryl in pegmatites. It may be confused with lazurite, lapis lazuli or azurite.

It is found in Salzburg, Austria; Zermatt, Switzerland; Minas Gerais, Brazil; Lincoln County, Georgia; Inyo County, California; the Yukon in Canada, and elsewhere.

It was first described in 1795 for deposits in Styria, Austria. Its name comes from the German lazurstein, for blue stone or from the Arabic for heaven.

CategoryPhosphate mineral
Formula
(repeating unit)
(Mg,Fe2+)Al2(PO4)2(OH)2
Strunz classification08.BB.40
Crystal symmetrysymmetry      Monoclinic prismatic
H-M symbol: (2/m)
Space group: P 21/c
Unit cella = 7.144(1) Å, b = 7.278(1) Å, c = 7.228(1) Å; β = 120.5(1)°; Z=2
ColorAzure-blue, sky-blue, bluish white, yellow-green, blue-green, rarely green
Crystal habitTabular, acute to stubby bipyramidal crystals; granular, massive
Crystal systemMonoclinic
TwinningCommon by several twin laws
CleavagePoor to good on {110}, indistinct on {101}
FractureUneven, splintery
TenacityBrittle
Mohs scale hardness5.5 - 6.0
LusterVitreous
StreakWhite
DiaphaneityTransparent to translucent to nearly opaque
Specific gravity3.122 – 3.240
Optical propertiesBiaxial (-)
Refractive indexnα = 1.604 - 1.626 nβ = 1.626 - 1.654 nγ = 1.637 - 1.663
Birefringenceδ = 0.033 - 0.037
PleochroismStrong: X= colorless, Y= blue, Z= darker blue
2V angleMeasured: 61° to 70°
FusibilityInfusible
SolubilityInsoluble

Wikipedia source:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lazulite

Lazulite-tmix07-168a.jpg ( 94 KB | 170 Downloads )
Lazulite-tmix07-168a.jpg

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

Timh
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Re: Lazulite - January 2015
Reply #1 - Jan 2nd, 2015 at 11:06pm
Print Post  
Here's a piece I collected in Gaston Co. N.C.

laz_001.jpg ( 125 KB | 164 Downloads )
laz_001.jpg

IP Logged

Dennis

Beryl is good!

Reply #2 - Jan 3rd, 2015 at 10:05am
Print Post  
Nice specimen, Tim

Here's a piece I was happy to get last year.  It's from the classic Clubb Mountain Kyanite Prospects (Chubb Mountain Kyanite Prospects) in Gaston Co. (#1026, ex. David M. Crawford collection).  The matrix consists of small kyanite crystals.

Dennis

Lazulite_C.jpg ( 234 KB | 159 Downloads )
Lazulite_C.jpg
Lazulite_E.jpg ( 182 KB | 202 Downloads )
Lazulite_E.jpg

IP Logged

Timh
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #3 - Jan 3rd, 2015 at 9:31pm
Print Post  
Yours is very nice as well Dennis. I have never been quite sure just exactly where the Clubb /Chubb Mtn. site actually is. However I know the general area it is in and my piece came from that area as well. I also collected some of the kyanite and rutile. The geology there appears to be very similar to Graves Mtn in Georgia.

IP Logged

Laurie Adams
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jan 4th, 2015 at 8:20pm
Print Post  
Nice specimens Dennis and Tim.  In addition to the Chubb Mountain occurrence, Lazulite has also been found in North Carolina at Crowders Mountain in Gaston County, Cotton Stone Mountain in Montgomery County, the Staley (Carolina) Pyrophyllite Mine in Randolph County, the Cabin Creek Pyrophyllite Mine in Moore County, the Piedmont Minerals Mine in Hillsborough in Orange County.  If anyone knows of other NC sites, please let us know.  Notice that all of these sites are high temperature alumina deposits, and as Tim said, very similar to Graves Mountain in Georgia.

IP Logged

rockytoprockshop

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Reply #5 - Jan 14th, 2015 at 10:21am
Print Post  
The best lazulite that I have seen from NC, equal to the Yukon deposit I feel was from the talc mine at Staley, Randolph Co., NC. I visited with Boyd Mattison in Yancey Co., NC many years ago and he showed to me a flat of killer deep blue gemmy lazulite crystals that were on xllized pyrophyllite and quartz from there that he had collected in the 60's. Some were stacked upon each other like Spanish pyrites in habit and stuck out of matrix! I tried my best to trade or buy one but he wouldn't part with a single one. I'd love to know where these fine specimens ended up. I collected at Staley some years back and did find one loose gemmy partial xl that I found sifting loose mine material but only one without matrix. Like Laurie was saying, there are a number of Lazulite localities in NC and the one that I've read about but never seen is Coffee Gap, Stokes Co., NC. Clubb (Chubb) Mnt., Gaston Co. is probally the most prolific source that I know for collectors.

IP Logged

Tim4d
God Member

I like creeks & rivers
to do the digging for
me.

Reply #6 - Jan 14th, 2015 at 2:38pm
Print Post  
The 1987 Virginia Mineral Locality Index lists lazulite as present at the Willis Mountain Kyanite Mine.  Willis Mountain is predominantly a kyanite quartzite. (Was kyanite quartzite also the mined rock at Graves Mountain?)  I have yet to go on a Willis Mountain field trip; Virginia clubs occassionally sponsor trips, but I think they are just for looking around, not collecting.  Geology maps show the kyanite quartzite in various places nearby, so that part of central Virginia is on my "someday" list of exploring.

IP Logged

Tim4d
God Member

I like creeks & rivers
to do the digging for
me.

Reply #7 - Jan 14th, 2015 at 3:45pm
Print Post  
     Another VA reference to lazulite was in context of a 1986 Virginia Minerals newsletter (vol 32 no 1) about a rare mineral being found at Willis Mountain:  "The rare mineral trolleite, previously unreported from Virginia, has recently been discovered in Buckingham County. [...] Additional new minerals noted from the Willis Mountain site include apatite, native sulfur, crandallite-florencite and lazulite-scorzalite series minerals."
     Seeing that this is an internet discussion forum, would trolleite (pronounced troll-ee-ite) be an appropriate Mineral of the Month?  I'm thankful we have no trolls on the lounge who might claim this as their mineral namesake.

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #8 - Jan 14th, 2015 at 10:13pm
Print Post  
Lots of interesting local information, thank you all.
I would very much like to see some of the Randolph County lazulite.
Figures the gemmiest would be rumored from that county. Wink

All I have is the Graves Mtn material. Not complaining.
I have read that the Graves matrix is a white "sandstone".
I wonder what the VA quartzite matrix looks like and how it might compare?
Here's a piece from Graves with large, a few 1" across, lazulite crystals
collected by Chris Whitley.

DSCN1515_001.JPG ( 183 KB | 192 Downloads )
DSCN1515_001.JPG

IP Logged

Laurie Adams
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Jan 15th, 2015 at 7:29am
Print Post  
Joe, there are varying degrees of metamorphism in the rocks at Graves, as exemplified in the quartzite there, which ranges from very hard almost vitreous quartzite to very crumbly "sandstone", that was not changed all that much due to heat and pressure and therefore retains much of the characteristics of the original sandstone.  This crumbly rock should at the least be called a meta-sandstone, but the majority of the Graves material would be a true quartzite.  Plus there are gradations between the two units.  Both units contain Lazulite.  Many diggers call the crumbly unit "sugar quartz" for obvious reasons.  Tim, Willis Mtn. has unfortunately been closed to clubs for several years.   Most of the kyanite there is grey and unattractive, but some zones do contain narrow blades with decent blue color.  The lazulite there only occurs in small trace amounts and specks to my knowledge.  The quartzite there is intermediate in hardness between the two extremes found at Graves.  Thanks Mike for mentioning the Coffee Gap reference.  I have wondered about this for decades and have spent a good bit of time investigating.  The same reference also mentions fluorite there.  I believe both of these to probably be erroneous.  These were very old identifications (1800's?) that were often wrong, no field evidence could be found, no anecdotal evidence could be found, and the local geology does not fit with the occurrence of these minerals.  So I consider this very suspect.  Anyone with any info on this is asked to please share it with us. 

IP Logged

rockytoprockshop

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Reply #10 - Jan 15th, 2015 at 8:15am
Print Post  
Joe,

You mentioned the Staley lazulite. There use to be (I assume still is) a road once gravel probally paved by now that folks where building nice homes off of that went right beside the tailing piles of the old talc mine at Staley. It was literally right up to the road back then. Just off the road were numerous posted signs. I actually found my small gemmy fragment along the road banks but did find a local that said it was OK to look around, later finding out that it wasn't and the correct landowner refused access so I gave up on that site. I have a few specimens that I purchased some years ago some with rutile and lazulite others with just lazulite in pyrophylitte from there if you want a piece. These however are not gemmy but are deep blue and somewhat irregular masses. Boyd was the only one that I know who had gem grade blue xls of lazulite from there and they were killer but like I say, he wouldn't part with a single one. They were perched up on pyrophyllite and quartz with individual ones to about 3/8" in size very sharply formed. The Staley mine needs to be re-investigated to see what if any the collecting status might be. It was a dangerous pit but there were dump piles everywhere. I've got one piece from there with a single sharp pyrite xl in it. I've read that many large quartz crystals also came from there. I bet you that there are still many lazulite specimens buried in the dump piles if one could just dig them.

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #11 - Jan 15th, 2015 at 7:32pm
Print Post  
Laurie, yes, the sandstone-quartzite comparison was exactly what I was wondering about.
That makes perfect sense. Thankyou for the reply.

And thanks for the additional info about the Staley, Rockytop.
We're going to have check on that one. Wink

IP Logged

Tim4d
God Member

I like creeks & rivers
to do the digging for
me.

Reply #12 - Jan 16th, 2015 at 1:15pm
Print Post  
I don't recall what I was doing on September 28, 2014, but some other commitment prevented me from going on this field trip sponsored by a number of Virginia clubs.  A description is on the Gem and Mineral Society of the Virginia Peninsula's site at:

http://gmsvp.weebly.com/uploads/3/1/2/7/3127689/2014-10_gmsvp_newsletter.pdf

Photos are from the newsletter.

I had thought look-see field trips were all that was going on at Willis Mountain, but apparently collecting is allowed on club sponsored trips.

GMSVP's announcement offered this description:  COLLECTING: Willis Mountain is what's known as a monadnock. The kyanite exposure resisted weathering and, as the surrounding area was eroded and weathered away, the mountain outcrop was left standing. This is very much like the famous Graves Mountain kyanite mine in Georgia. The center of the mountain has been mostly mined away. We should be able to find plenty of white kyanite blades in the massive kyanite quartzite; pyrite; quartz; hematite with some iridescent, red mica, apatite and possibly some blue kyanite and pale green trolleite. Some of the white kyanite here fluoresces a beautiful light blue as well as some of the quartz.

The kyanite and matrix photo from their newsletter is grainy but seems consistent with Laurie's description as being in between the Graves extremes.

Graves Mountain seems the better spot for sure.  But if these Virginia trips continue and circumstances allow, I will likely see the much-closer Willis Mountain first.  I think I have a better chance of finding more blue kyanite in Robert's creek next time I visit Raleigh! But seeing the Willis Mountain operations would be cool. 

Willis Mountain is a family-owned operation.  They chose the "environment" route after mining out Baker Mountain.

http://www.kyanite.com/environment.html

"The Baker Mountain mine was Kyanite Mining Corp.’s first mine and mineral processing plant. This facility was an active kyanite mine from the early 1920’s until the late 1970’s, when mining activities were discontinued. Baker Mountain has been transformed into a land reclamation showpiece."

"Kyanite Mining Corporation plans to restore the original plant structures and open the entire facility to the public as a mining museum and environmental education center."

That has been on their web site for a few years at least.  Have not heard anything new on their plans.  Even though it would have been nice to have preserved some collecting at Baker Mountain, the museum and education center should be good for rockhounding in central Virginia.  The region's economic development crowd can't seem to get their thinking much past light industrial parks and road building.  So I hope KMC is successful in their venture.

Willis_Mtn_Kyanite_on_Matrix.jpg ( 84 KB | 168 Downloads )
Willis_Mtn_Kyanite_on_Matrix.jpg
Willis_Mtn_hematite.jpg ( 92 KB | 166 Downloads )
Willis_Mtn_hematite.jpg

IP Logged

L82Play

RockHoundLounger

Reply #13 - Jan 16th, 2015 at 8:57pm
Print Post  
Hi,

Blue stuff on rocks - huh - seems like I should have found some of this Lazulite - maybe I will now that I know what I'm looking for...but per Tim's point about having better luck finding Kyanite in Mine Creek, here's some pieces

The larger one is about the size of a tennis ball and the two smaller ones are finger sized.

There seems to be brown, white and blue blades to be found - and a fair amount of it - once you know what to look for.

cheers,
r

KynBld1_001.jpg ( 230 KB | 158 Downloads )
KynBld1_001.jpg
KynBld2_001.jpg ( 234 KB | 173 Downloads )
KynBld2_001.jpg

sung to the tune of 'Green Acres'
Erosion is the thing for me
I just don't like to dig - you see
Picking rocks up right off the ground
is good enough for this lucky old rockhound

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #14 - Jan 19th, 2015 at 9:36pm