Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Lazulite - January 2015 (Read 16207 times)
rockytoprockshop

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Re: Lazulite - January 2015
Reply #15 - Jan 20th, 2015 at 9:36am
Print Post  
Joe,

I checked out the John Betts specimen. This is the massive material that was typical at the Staley. This example is similar to the lazulite in pyrophyllite that I have from Staley, except the small partial gemmy crystal that I screened in the roadside dumps. Boyd's specimens were one of kind as they came from a pocket that allowed the lazulite and quartz to both crystalize. I'd love to get into the mine but the last time I inquired about it the locals said that the owner was very strict and had actually had people arrested for going onto the property. Needless to say I don't look good in striped jail clothing so I gave up the hunt. All I can say is if things are like they use to be it will be difficult gaining permission but hey....the last time I tried was probally eight or more years ago so who the heck knows?

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #16 - Jan 21st, 2015 at 11:13pm
Print Post  
10-4 on that Rockytop.
I've always found it hard to accessorize with stripes, too. Wink

IP Logged

rockytoprockshop

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Reply #17 - Jan 22nd, 2015 at 10:52am
Print Post  
Joe,

I might look into the status of ownership of the Staley mine to see if permission can be obtained to collect it. I haven't a clue what it is these days. I just know that some years ago the last time I tried to inquire about it, the locals all seemed very reluctant to talk about it like the place was taboo or cursed. It freaked me out a bit so I just gave up trying. From what I could tell at that time, wealthy people started buying up all the land around the mine and building expensive homes in the area and they weren't very open to discussion about collecting at that time. There are old references to the quarry that makes it sound like at one time at least, maybe during the 1960's and 70's that the Staley mine was active? It would be a cool place to collect if allowed. Some years ago, a friend of mine in Moore County took me to the Saunders Pyrophyllite mine west of Robbins. As far as I can tell it was the only Moore County mine that had radiating habit pyrophyllite. We went and found a pile of crystallized pyrophyllite similar to the Cotton Stone material but the most unsual feature of that mine was that some of the quartz veins had iron phosphates in them. I found an old reference to the mine online that stated that massive topaz and flourite had been reported there but I didn't find any. I'd suspect that there are probally occurences of lazulite in some of the area talc mines than noted. Cotton Stone isn't noted for it but it has been found there.

IP Logged

Tim4d
God Member

I like creeks & rivers
to do the digging for
me.

Reply #18 - Jan 26th, 2015 at 11:05am
Print Post  
Out of curiosity I looked up the county's GIS land parcel system.  If my guesses are right, it shows an out-of-state owner and a modular home on the property, right in front of a quarry pond.  I'll PM the particulars to both of you.

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #19 - Jan 27th, 2015 at 8:22pm
Print Post  
Thanks for that info, Tim. I'll check it out. Wink

IP Logged

Nbrown
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #20 - Jul 20th, 2017 at 11:22am
Print Post  
Reviving an old thread here for my first post on this forum because we have identified (trace amounts) of lazulite in the quartzite of Stokes County (NC) and are currently researching it with permission from the NC state parks. I was hoping to get more info from Laurie or whomever else might know where Coffee Gap is. All I know about it is that Genth (1891) reported it in "The Minerals of North Carolina", but all other info seems to be rather elusive. It seems that the name for this community/area of the county no longer exists.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help!

lazulite_series.jpg ( 4906 KB | 139 Downloads )
lazulite_series.jpg

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #21 - Jul 20th, 2017 at 2:17pm
Print Post  
Very glad to hear you are looking in to this!
I have heard about this "blue-stone" in that area numerous times over the years but have never been. Mainly because the folks who have told me about it don't make it sound that interesting or worthwhile. It's always been described as a blue-toned quartzite or schist.
It would be very nice to know if there are actually nice looking Lazulite crystals to be found. Well worth the effort imho.
I have been told about the site(s) in recent years by rockhounds but first heard about it from some archaeologists doing work in the area back in the 70's and 80's. I don't know if checking for the name "Coffee Gap"with the Office of State Archaeology records, or UNC Chapel Hill Archaeology, would help but might be worth a try if you don't hear from someone else.

You got me curious. I'll do some more asking around, but would love to see pics of what you find.
Where does the specimen you pictured come from?

IP Logged

Dennis

Beryl is good!

Reply #22 - Jul 20th, 2017 at 2:41pm
Print Post  
Coffee Gap is also a locality for flexible sandstone.  There is a Gap located on topo maps that may be the area in question, and probably once named after a man named Coffee (last name).  Gap is located to the SW of Hanging Rock and NE of Pilot Mountain, but still associated with the Sauratown Mountains.

Dennis

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #23 - Jul 20th, 2017 at 4:15pm
Print Post  
I was wondering if you had any info on this, Dennis.
I saw that "Gap" on the map right above Quaker Gap, and was wondering about it, too.
If the specimen Nbrown pictured is from there, that's worth looking for. Pretty little crystal and quartzite pyrite matrix.

As much as I drink of it my first name could be Coffee. But Joe works, too. Cheesy

IP Logged

Nbrown
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #24 - Jul 23rd, 2017 at 5:41pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the help guys! I'll check out the archaeological website.

The photo was taken about 80' up the cliff at Sauratown on YMCA Camp Hanes property (I'm a climber). No samples were taken, just photos. As far as I can tell there are only very trace amounts of it there and at Hanging Rock State Park. I'm not sure about Pilot, Cooks, etc.

From what I've read there is an abundance of "blue quartz" throughout the range, but nothing I've seen really looks all that blue, and the term seems to be used to describe different species.

Thanks again for the help!

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #25 - Jul 23rd, 2017 at 10:10pm
Print Post  
No, thank you, Nbrown, for bringing up a good question and
for sharing a great picture of a mineral rarity in our state!
Of course, more pics would be great, too. Wink

Be careful out there!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint