Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Man finds rare Wake County beryl. (Read 4510 times)
Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Man finds rare Wake County beryl.
Mar 20th, 2015 at 2:43pm
Print Post  

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

Tim4d
God Member

I like creeks & rivers
to do the digging for
me.

Re: Man finds rare Wake County beryl.
Reply #1 - Mar 20th, 2015 at 3:42pm
Print Post  
We have a celebrity now.  Smiley

IP Logged

rockytoprockshop

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Reply #2 - Mar 20th, 2015 at 3:54pm
Print Post  
I swear this piece looks like the Crabtree material from Spruce Pines and some Brazilian material. Thanks for sharing the article with us Scott. It is interesting though. Its only a matter of time that beryl, probally gemmy turns up in Wake County. Scott, Joe, Mark and others have turned up some amazing finds from Wake County over the years and they know the potential better than anyone that is in Wake County. I live to far away to have done the kind of looking around Wake that I would have like to have done over the years but on my visits there I can see the great potential there. I will never forget seeing those pieces of yellowish/green beryl that had an odd pinkish hue to them at a show one time. The fellow claimed that they were from Wake County but wouldn't part with a single piece. They were only specimens but were large sections of crystals. I also will never forget seeing the cigar box full of clove-brown brookites on quartz that a young boy and his father brought by a booth at the Raliegh Fairgrounds flea market. There use to be a mineral dealer there many years ago and they had the dealer to identify them. I happened to be there and saw them. They were every bit as good as the Pakistani brookites. The story was that only one pocket was found and that this man worked for a construction company who was doing so site clearing around Cary. Again, they wouldn't part with a single piece. I'm just waiting to hear the news someday about crystals of emerald or aquamarine being dug up during some construction site or road work around Raliegh....I think that its only a matter of time.

IP Logged

Brian

RockHoundLounger

Reply #3 - Mar 20th, 2015 at 5:38pm
Print Post  
That is awesome and cool find. Green and around saint pattys day...... Luck of the Irish LOL.

IP Logged

L82Play

RockHoundLounger

Reply #4 - Mar 20th, 2015 at 8:27pm
Print Post  
Hey hey hey,

Thanks Scott for posting - I knew one of my grandkids would make me famous if I lived long enough.

The grandkids found it and I'll post that story one of these days - but all I did was collect their "pretty" rocks and put them on the table on my deck.  I would have never thought anything more about them til cousin Tim4d came for a visit and took a look at my rocks and made the real discovery of what it was...

...then Joe was most beneficial and kept steering me in the right direction searching for whatever we could find out...

...and fine fellows like Scarodactyl  and Scott and numerous others helped along the way...

Thus I hereby proclaim that ALL of us Rock Hound Loungers share in this discovery.

So come see for yourself what rocks you helped discover in the Mine Creek Rock Collection displayed at the Raleigh Annual Tarheel Club Precious Gem and Mineral Show in the Scott Kerr building at the fairground on Fri (3-8pm), Sat (10-8) and Sun (10-6) March 27, 28 and 29.

Hope to see you there.

cheers,
r

sung to the tune of 'Green Acres'
Erosion is the thing for me
I just don't like to dig - you see
Picking rocks up right off the ground
is good enough for this lucky old rockhound

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #5 - Apr 1st, 2015 at 11:02pm
Print Post  
And ofcourse the highlight of this years Tar Heel Extravaganza
was Robert's Wake County Emeralds!
(You can call them green beryl if you want. Smiley)
Here are some pics of Robert's display of rocks from Pop-Pop Point
with the emeralds front and center.
And Wake Countys' Man-of-the-Year himself talking with some interested visitors.

DSCN3490.JPG ( 169 KB | 102 Downloads )
DSCN3490.JPG
DSCN3492.JPG ( 211 KB | 113 Downloads )
DSCN3492.JPG
DSCN3508.JPG ( 168 KB | 97 Downloads )
DSCN3508.JPG

IP Logged

Collin

RockHoundLounger

Reply #6 - Apr 2nd, 2015 at 8:49am
Print Post  
Cool to see it in person, I also overheard a few people talking about it at the show.  Nice pics!

IP Logged

Laurie Adams
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jun 14th, 2015 at 1:15pm
Print Post  
THE GREAT 2015 WAKE COUNTY EMERALD HOAX?
It seems that low quality emerald specimens have been suddenly turning up at Key Wake County collecting sites.  The example from Mine Creek is one of several.  the interesting thing is they all look alike, and they all look exactly like the classic brazilian material and they were all found just laying there waiting to be picked up.   In addition to Mine Creek, finds were reported from Garnet Hill and triangle quarry!!!!  It seems quite possible that someone out there is trying to fool us.  I for one am not taking the bait.

IP Logged

L82Play

RockHoundLounger

Reply #8 - Jun 14th, 2015 at 7:14pm
Print Post  
Hi,

Laurie - I take no offense at your opinion or anyone else's; everyone is allowed an opinion – right or wrong.

I can’t vouch for any finds at Garnet Hill or Triangle Quarry, but I can vouch for the Mine Creek emeralds and I stand by what they are and where they were found.

I can’t say for sure exactly when the first one was found because it was found with my grandkids as a pretty rock we’d call ‘a keeper’ while we were skipping rocks in Mine Creek, but I can be certain where we were when we picked it up – Mine Creek. After learning what an emerald was during a visit from my cousin, I looked for about another year and finally found the second emerald myself.  There is no doubt where I was when I found it – in my opinion, I was in Mine Creek.  It is the only place I have ever done any rock hunting.

I’m relying on the old saying ‘Once Is Chance, Twice is Coincidence, Third Time Is a Trend’ to substantiate my veracity by finding a third emerald in Mine Creek.  It’s a lifetime goal for me now.  If and when it occurs, I’m planning on taking plenty of pictures and getting a few witnesses to that find and maybe that may change your opinion.

Until then, think what you want, carry-on as you wish.

It’s all fine by me.

Cheers,
r

IP Logged

Laurie Adams
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Jun 15th, 2015 at 5:09pm
Print Post  
r  I must apologize, sometimes i word things wrongly.  I did not mean to imply that your finds were not genuine, only that the other sites are suspicious.  Actually, much more than suspicious, downright unbelievable.  I'll explain a little better.  At the Raleigh show this year, Kenny Gay, a longtime Tarheel Club member and acknowledged expert on many aspects of NC mineralogy was approached by at least three different people asking for identifications.  This often happens at club shows where you have experts in the field available for folks to bring in their locally collected stones for identification.  Two of these were very well intentioned people that had what Kenny described as "unmistakable" Brazilian emeralds that they had found at the Triangle Quarry and at Garnet Hill.  The pieces at Garnet Hill were very obviously placed there, sitting in plain view on the sloping outcrop.  This would certainly not be the first time someone has tried to pull such a prank.  Minor "salting" of specimens from far away localities at prominent collecting sites has been going on for a long time.  Usually its just an insignificant prank, but sometimes someone tries to commercially benefit from claiming that a locality produces something it doesn't.  You'll always have a few bad apples out there.  But r's specimens were collected over a long period of time, not all at once, and I doubt were just sitting there in an obvious place waiting to be picked up.  So again, i am sorry to have implied that your finds were salted.  I congratulate you on a significant discovery.

IP Logged

L82Play

RockHoundLounger

Reply #10 - Jun 15th, 2015 at 6:41pm
Print Post  
Thanks Laurie - it's all good.

This actually gave me a little boost - a good kick in the butt - to go find that third emerald!

cheers,
r

IP Logged

rockytoprockshop

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Reply #11 - Jun 16th, 2015 at 11:50am
Print Post  
R - Many years ago, there was a gentleman here in my home county who told me that he was finding schrol tourmaline in vein quartz about 5 miles from my house. I was sceptical. Then he brought over a shoe box full of it. I rode to the site and sure enough, there it was, lots of it. Today that site has grown up in briars and thickets and it is doubtful that one would find anything unless some land clearing were done. Anyhow, this same fellow told me about another man who lived nearby and hunted a local creek bottom for squirrel that I know has pegmatite, smoky quartz, etc. in it. Supposedly he found a green rock in the banks which a local jeweler said was emerald. We rode to his house and the fellow showed the rock to me. It was emerald again, it too looked like a Brazilian emerald. Anyways, the old fellow wouldn't tell us exactly where along that creek that he found it and denied me access to the creek on his property. I searched this creek several times at other nearby spots and never found an emerald but did turn up rose and smoky quartz, nice mica books and an assortment of pretty rocks. I truely believe that anything is possible in NC even an emerald in locations where they aren't historically documented as having come from. I've seen stuff from my own county that folks don't believe actually came from here but I know it did. Wake county is a unique and diverisfied mineral county, no telling what is there. I went looking for beryl near Purnell some years ago after reading about the location in an old reference book. The area was rural but was being developed with new homes sprouting up all over the place. I found the creek and there was a new subdivision being built to its north. After much knocking on doors, I finally found a man who had bought property there and told me that there was in fact an old mica prospect along the creek that could be accessed from behind his property, I asked permission to dig and was denied. I tried walking up the creek from the road and found nothing and was stopped several times by people asking what I was doing so I left and never again tried to find the beryl. Soem years later, I was at a show up that way and a fellow had some yellowish-green opaque beryl in a display case labeled "Wake County Beryl". He was from Virginia and had purchased the specimens from someone in Wake County. He said that it came from north of Raliegh. He would part with a single piece. That was the end of my pursuit for Wake County beryl. You have a golden oppertunity there since you have access to a creek that lies right in the heart of such a mineral rich location and I hope that you find that third emerald. I keep hoping that I will gather the strength and time to make it back down to the creek in my area, where there is pegmatite there could be anything and its certainly worth exploring. Lots of luck to you I hope you find the source of the emeralds!

IP Logged

L82Play

RockHoundLounger

Reply #12 - Jun 16th, 2015 at 2:47pm
Print Post  
Thanks RockyTop!

One thing that I think makes Mine Creek special is all the graphite mining that was done 100 to 140 years ago in this very spot - all that deep digging uncovered some mighty fine rocks.   

So I plan to keep on looking for those 'purty rocks' as long as I can walk the creek beds - and a couple of my grandkids have the itch and are shaping up as excellent candidates to carry on the hunt after me...  I have faith something will turn up. Cool

Good luck on your adventures.

cheers,
r

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint