Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Took my boys to Succor creek (Read 1696 times)
Sasha
YaBB Newbies

On a backcountry creek

Took my boys to Succor creek
May 4th, 2015 at 2:58am
Print Post  
Now that I am back home in Idaho, my boys wanted to go out for an adventure to find some rocks. I decided to go check out a spot that is fairly close to my house to see if we could find some nice specimens. This was our first time here and with the safety of my 9 and 7 year old in mind, I did not go to some of the spots I would have wanted to go to if I were by myself. Anyway, here are the photos I took of our first trip to Succor creek. All of us had a blast, my youngest is still more into rock hounding than his older brother. However, this place had plenty of insects to keep my older son entertained as he loves collecting bugs.

What we brought home:

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Re: Took my boys to Succor creek
Reply #1 - May 4th, 2015 at 10:59am
Print Post  
Beautiful landscapes.  Now, that's how to do rockhounding the right way.  The 14th picture down looks like the Indiana Jones boulder setup but got stuck before completing the full run.

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

Laurie Adams
Ex Member

Reply #2 - May 4th, 2015 at 12:12pm
Print Post  
Succor Creek is one of the best sites in the world for Clinoptilolite.  I have a number of specimens from there in my rock shop.  The crystals are in small geodes about an inch across.  Not a very common species, not particularly beautiful, but very nice, especially under a loupe.  Do not know where on Succor Creek the locality is exactly, but sounds like a good place to collect. I'll try to post a pic or two when I get a chance.

IP Logged

Sasha
YaBB Newbies

On a backcountry creek

Reply #3 - May 4th, 2015 at 6:57pm
Print Post  
Scott LaBorde wrote on May 4th, 2015 at 10:59am:
Beautiful landscapes.  Now, that's how to do rockhounding the right way.  The 14th picture down looks like the Indiana Jones boulder setup but got stuck before completing the full run.

Yea I was thinking the same thing when I saw that boulder. My boys were standing under it and I said to them "why don't you move, it doesn't seem safe." Guess I am getting old  Grin

Quote:
Succor Creek is one of the best sites in the world for Clinoptilolite.  I have a number of specimens from there in my rock shop.  The crystals are in small geodes about an inch across.  Not a very common species, not particularly beautiful, but very nice, especially under a loupe.  Do not know where on Succor Creek the locality is exactly, but sounds like a good place to collect. I'll try to post a pic or two when I get a chance.

That is good to know, being our first time there, I think we did OK. I'd like to spend some more time there and see if we can't find some neat pieces. I told my wife, that our boys need boots like mine, as their running shoes were not acceptable for some of the things we were doing. Both of them slipped pretty bad at a couple of the places. Something with leather/gortex and vibram is what I am thinking for them as that combo has served me well for years.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint