Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic power lines???? (Read 5159 times)
jgards86

RockHoundLounger

power lines????
May 14th, 2015 at 9:22am
Print Post  
I'm curious about powerlines in my area... Are they good spots for identifying erosion and following to pockets? Or do they turn the dirt a lot when constructing them so it's not even worthwhile?

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Re: power lines????
Reply #1 - May 18th, 2015 at 3:05pm
Print Post  
Yes, following the power lines is often advantageous as they regularly cut back the shrubs and weeds.  As a result there are usually areas where the top soil has eroded in spots thus giving you a glimpse of in situ earth.  If your lucky you may spot a specimen that has washed out in the eroded areas and it may potentially lead you to a source vein.

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

Tim4d
God Member

I like creeks & rivers
to do the digging for
me.

Re: power lines????
Reply #2 - May 21st, 2015 at 12:46pm
Print Post  
I've got one power line corridor on my short list of central Virginia locations to check out, because it appears from maps research that some old mine pits lie just into the woods line.  I won't know the land's posted status until I get around to going.  Seems that more and more, landowners are gating and posting power line corridors.  (Around here, I believe utilities just have right of way access.)  Nearby is an open access spot I partially explored recently, so when I check out the power line I will have a Plan B in hand.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint