Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Trip report from 6-22-2015 (Read 1612 times)
Sasha
YaBB Newbies

On a backcountry creek

Trip report from 6-22-2015
Jun 23rd, 2015 at 12:52am
Print Post  
Got the chance to get out and go collecting with my youngest son today. It was quite an interesting trip with a variety of different types of scenery and weather. The day started out a little later than I would have liked, by the time we arrived at the turn out, temps in the valley were already in the mid-80s. The scenery down at this elevation was the typical Idaho desert looking terrain.

As we drove further, the desert landscape gave way to a nice looking forest and the air teps began to drop off rapidly as we gained elevation.

Our destination this trip took us well above 7000 feet, at this elevation the air temps were nice and in the mid-50s, there was even a little snow on the ground still.

We got out and began looking around, almost immediately, we were finding quartz crystals.

We explored the area for quite some time, collecting things as we found them. There was actually quite a bit that we were able to collect.

After a while, we decided that we had found enough. The pack was starting to get heavy so my son asked if I could carry it back to the truck. We both had a great day and were able to collect a lot. As we drove out, I took some more photos of the area.

Once home I decided to get some more controlled shots of some of the collected crystals. These photos only represent a small sample of what we collected. I didn’t want to take photos of each item as that would be a lot of photos to process, upload and post on the report. We enjoyed this trip and know we only scratched the surface at this area.

IP Logged

Laurie Adams
Ex Member

Re: Trip report from 6-22-2015
Reply #1 - Jun 23rd, 2015 at 1:41pm
Print Post  
Very nice stuff Sasha!  All of us East Coasters are very jealous of the incredible environments you have to collect out there.  We have a lot of great stuff over here too, but we have to look SOOOO much harder for it.  I'm not sure how much you know about cleaning specimens, but you could improve the looks of those crystals by 200%!  First, put all of them in a shallow tub or tray {preferably not metal) and fill with water enough to cover them all.  Then add a cup of bleach and let soak for a couple days. The bleach will remove any organic materials, such as the green algae or moss.  Then drain off the bleach solution and rinse them.  Now you need a common product sold at many grocery and hardware stores called Super Iron Out.  It cost around 4 bucks for a bottle and comes as a white powder.  Replace all the specimens in the tub, but this time use hot tap water to cover them.  Then, in a separate glass, mix about 3 teaspoons of iron out with hot tap water.  The fumes are not terribly dangerous, but you don't want to inhale them any more than necessary.  Add this to the tub and let soak for a day or two.  then remove and rinse the specimens.  You will not believe the difference it will make, they will be clean and shiny, with no iron staining.  It seems like a lot os work at first, but it's pretty easy and once you get used to it, you will be a pro at cleaning all your specimens.  Of course not everything needs bleach or iron out, but quartz in particular usually greatly benefits from it.  Keep up the good work.  If you ever get over to the Carolinas, we'll be glad to take you out digging somewhere.

IP Logged

Tim4d
God Member

I like creeks & rivers
to do the digging for
me.

Reply #2 - Jun 23rd, 2015 at 2:10pm
Print Post  
Awesome field trip.  All surface collected, or did you dig too?

IP Logged

Tim4d
God Member

I like creeks & rivers
to do the digging for
me.

Reply #3 - Jun 23rd, 2015 at 2:28pm
Print Post  
I'll second Laurie on the envy for wide open vistas.  When people from the west come east, they say "Wow, look at all the trees!"  When people from the east go west, they say "Wow, look: no trees!"

The east has some great vistas too, but when you're walking around in the field most of the time there's a curtain of trees between you and the horizon.  In my 20s I lived in semi-arid southwestern Oklahoma where there are miles and miles of nothing but miles and miles.  Since then I've been in the well-watered midwest and east, so lately I'm getting a longing for long horizons. 

IP Logged

Sasha
YaBB Newbies

On a backcountry creek

Reply #4 - Jun 23rd, 2015 at 3:31pm
Print Post  
Glad you guys enjoyed the report, we had a fun day out there. That location is a little dangerous though with a lot of abandoned mines. Including shafts that are on the ground covered by nothing more than thin wire. One had a nice drop of about 500' to the water that has filled it.

Thanks for the tips on cleaning, I will have to get on that here soon. The specimen pics were taken pretty much right after we got back home.

We were lucky too as most of the specimens were able to be collected right on the surface. Those were the loose quartz crystals. We collected a lot ranging in size from 1" to 4" in length. The stuff we had to dig a bit for are the crystals still in the rocks do for example pics 1,2,6,7,8,9,11 and 12 (starting from just the collected shots) were in the ground just below the surface. In other words we saw part of it sticking out and had to dig slightly. I may have messed up on some of the numbers as I was trying to count photos from the small preview window lol.

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #5 - Jun 24th, 2015 at 5:15pm
Print Post  
You're rocking and rolling now, Sasha.
And what a huge backyard to play in! Makes me kindof envious. Wink
I had a feeling your youngest was the rockhound. Great stuff!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint