Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Wayne County (Read 4860 times)
BP
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Wayne County
Jul 18th, 2015 at 12:49pm
Print Post  
Here are a few specimens I have found here in Wayne county, around Goldsboro.  Petrified wood and pyrite coated fossils....also perhaps an indian related stone
« Last Edit: Aug 21st, 2015 at 2:30pm by Scott LaBorde »  

IP Logged

BP
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Re: Wayne County, NC
Reply #1 - Jul 18th, 2015 at 12:57pm
Print Post  
Here are some shark teeth my son and I found about 4 years ago at an abandoned sand pit near Goldsboro.

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #2 - Jul 18th, 2015 at 7:58pm
Print Post  
By Golly! Our first entry from Wayne County!
And well done, too! Smiley
I think pet wood is the County Rock. Roll Eyes
Love the shark teeth and the marcasite coated fossils.
Did you find the fossils in the Neuse Cut?

Welcome Y'all!
Joe

IP Logged

BP
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #3 - Jul 18th, 2015 at 8:56pm
Print Post  
No, I found the shark teeth at an old abandoned sand pit off 111 South near the Neuse River.  The coated fossils were found in some dirt piles off of Salem Church Rd. that had been dumped there...it appears it came from the river somewhere.

IP Logged

BP
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Re: Wayne County
Reply #4 - Nov 28th, 2016 at 6:38pm
Print Post  
Here is some more petrified wood my sons and I found the other day along the Neuse River outside of Goldsboro.  The small black piece I am holding has a lot of pyrite on the outside of it.  Really fun.

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #5 - Nov 28th, 2016 at 11:38pm
Print Post  
That's some good stuff y'all are finding down there, BP.
And it sounds like you're having a good time doing it!
Thanks for keeping us posted. Smiley
Ya know the Amber down there is found in, or just below, areas that the black wood covered with marcasite is found.
REAL rare stuff to find, but you never know.

BP, did you see the "What in the World" thread I started up in the Identifying Your Specimen section? Check it out. 

IP Logged

BP
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #6 - Dec 1st, 2016 at 10:23am
Print Post  
Thanks Joe.  I have heard of amber being found.  We are hunting the Neuse Cutoff area and supposedly amber has been found there.  I kept my eye out for some, but do not really know what it looks like in the environment.  I have seen polished ones online.  Perhaps if I knew what it would look like just laying out or in the side of the bank, I may find some.  Here are some more pieces I found yesterday along with everything we have found.  BP

IP Logged

BP
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #7 - Dec 1st, 2016 at 10:29am
Print Post  
I just checked out the site you listed.  Strange growth on that piece!  By the way, do you have any pictures of what amber would look like when you are hunting the river?  And what is this lignite I hear so much about?  Is that a marker to where you can find amber?  Thanks, I have much to learn.  BP

IP Logged

BP
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #8 - Dec 1st, 2016 at 5:03pm
Print Post  
Another trip to the river today with my son, Kent.  He now holds the record for the largest piece of petrified wood found in our family, stealing the record from his brother, Wade.  The nodule is filled with pyrite, I have no idea what it is, but it is cool.  The hammer-shaped piece is pyrite and smooth.  No idea what it is either.  The two pieces I have in one hand are each pyrite and I believe branches or pieces of wood that turned to pyrite.  Great time.

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #9 - Dec 1st, 2016 at 5:25pm
Print Post  
Great job guys! You're going to have more pet wood in your yard than real wood pretty soon. Wink
The pyrite you are finding is a form called "marcasite". The marcasite fills voids in the wood so that is why it commonly has the shape of limbs, etc.
But it is not actually wood that has turned to pyrite, it is just taking the shape of what it replaces.
I gave you a link for lignite above on one of your other posts, and yes, the lignite is a "marker" for the amber.
I have heard that the amber can be found in pockets in the lignite, but I have never found any.
And the one time I visited the Cut with someone that knew how to find the amber, he said it was in material just below the lignite layer.
Which really means you are looking in the floor/bed of the Cut, so the water level has to be low.
The water was up that day, so we did not find any.

Happy hunting, guys, and thanks for keeping us posted and all the pics.
By the way, that last round piece you pictured is a really cool find. That's a keeper just like it is.
Also, the lignite is going to fall apart as it drys out. Check it for amber and cool marcasite pieces.
Maybe Victor will get on here and share some of his knowledge about the amber.

IP Logged

BP
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #10 - Dec 1st, 2016 at 8:15pm
Print Post  
Thanks Joe.  The black piece that I had found that started to peel the black off once it dried has revealed more pyrite!  I flaked off the loose black and it is more beautiful than ever now.  I will see if it deteriorates any more, but I do not think it will.  I will have to search for the amber some more at a future date, I would love to find some pieces.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint