Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Person County (Read 4487 times)
jgards86

RockHoundLounger

Person County
Jul 30th, 2015 at 11:41am
Print Post  
While at a customers house I discussed rockhounding with him and he showed me this.

0729151514_2.jpg ( 188 KB | 181 Downloads )
0729151514_2.jpg

IP Logged

jgards86

RockHoundLounger

Re: Person County
Reply #1 - Jul 30th, 2015 at 11:42am
Print Post  

0729151513_2.jpg ( 159 KB | 198 Downloads )
0729151513_2.jpg

IP Logged

VictorK

RockHoundLounger

Reply #2 - Jul 30th, 2015 at 8:59pm
Print Post  
So he found this in or around the Roxboro area?

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #3 - Jul 30th, 2015 at 10:14pm
Print Post  
very pretty! Good size and color.

IP Logged

jgards86

RockHoundLounger

Reply #4 - Aug 4th, 2015 at 10:26am
Print Post  
Yes this came from roxboro, near blue wing mine (royster), many years ago in a freshly plowed field. There are lots of old mines in the vicinty gold, silver, and copper. I'd love to do some hounding out there but don't know who to contact or where to go...any ideas???

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #5 - Jul 31st, 2019 at 9:25pm
Print Post  
Here's a couple pieces from the Durgy Mine area I collected years ago. There were several mines in what is called the Crooked Fork Copper District in Person County, but the area is now generally called the Durgy Mine and that is the name of the road the old mines are now off of. These two pieces were actually found in tailings at the old Gillis Copper Mine.
Lots of beautiful Bornite and crazy bright Malachite. The darker green granular areas may be Chlorite and it can be included in the quartz.
Lots of prospecting to do in that area of the state with a real array of minerals to keep an eye out for.
Anyone interested may want to start with information on this site,
https://thediggings.com/mines/usgs10273739

DSCN0002_001.JPG ( 241 KB | 110 Downloads )
DSCN0002_001.JPG
DSCN0008_001.JPG ( 199 KB | 108 Downloads )
DSCN0008_001.JPG
DSCN0017_003.JPG ( 245 KB | 135 Downloads )
DSCN0017_003.JPG
DSCN0018_003.JPG ( 216 KB | 122 Downloads )
DSCN0018_003.JPG
DSCN0207.JPG ( 178 KB | 97 Downloads )
DSCN0207.JPG
DSCN0211_002.JPG ( 263 KB | 110 Downloads )
DSCN0211_002.JPG
DSCN0217_001.JPG ( 245 KB | 129 Downloads )
DSCN0217_001.JPG
DSCN0225_001.JPG ( 202 KB | 95 Downloads )
DSCN0225_001.JPG

IP Logged

joseph27703
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Re: Person County: Durgy Mine
Reply #6 - Dec 21st, 2020 at 7:23pm
Print Post  
the wife and I live in Rougemont. We are new Rock Hound Lounge members and are enjoying looking at rocks with different eyes. I saw the info on the Durgy mines and we took a drive by the area however we must have missed that sign that says "Durgy Mine Start Digging Here". Being so new we though that rather than traipsing through what might be private property and giving rock hounds a bad name we'd ask. Is there away we can find out how to find the place to go and legally look around that area?

While I'm asking are larger creeks/streams that have car overpasses generally ok to walk around in looking for rocks? With the pandemic the clubs are not having too many field trips so we want to go out to safe (meaning legal) places to hunt. Ideas would be very welcome. Thanks Joseph and Figen

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #7 - Dec 22nd, 2020 at 10:42pm
Print Post  
Welcome to the Board and the Hobby, Joseph and Figen! Smiley

That's a real good rockhounding area up there. Of course you have the world class calcite and quartz crystals that come from the Rougemont Quarry, but yes, the field trip opportunities have come to a halt this year. But those guys at that quarry really support the rock collecting and will most likely resume field trips as soon as possible.

Lots of real interesting volcanic rock around Rougemont. Red Mountain is a dome of rhyolite. I'd say really take your time and really enjoy getting to know all the natural 'host' rock around you. It's really beautiful interesting formations that nobody pays much attention to because it's not a "gem". It's still worth looking at and learning about. And it get's you outside.  Wink

And yes, there's no shortage of old mines and prospects to research. You might want to check with "TheDiggings" link above. He was working around the Blue Wing Mine last I heard and I don't know if he has tailing piles for the public to go through or not. And it looks like they own several mines in the area.

Your comment about the "Durgy Mine, Dig Here" sign is funny. I remember the first few times I went looking for the "Durgie".
There's a bunch of old mines in the area and back when they were operating they all had different names but overtime Durgie is the name to survive. I'm still not sure if the one I was told was the Durgie is or not. There's a clump of old mines around Lawson Adcock Rd and then up by Blue Wing Rd. Not much left to look at of any of the mines by Lawson Adcock Rd, but it been 15-20 years since I've been there so there's no telling. It's all on private property but some of the old landowners would give folks permission. One was just a back filled hole in the middle of a field and another was a place to dump trash.
But they're putting those housing developments everywhere. And, like it or not, development is about your best opportunity to rockhound these days. It's your best look at the ground. Before they pave the roads. Once they have the roads in it's pretty much done.
Yes, I think you can get away with 20-30 feet up or downstream at bridges. If you can float a boat, the water is public access, but not necessarily the land. If the creek is too small for a boat, you're on someone's property.

Healthy Hunting and Happy Holidays! Smiley
Joe

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint