Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Labradorite - October 2015 (Read 9710 times)
Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Labradorite - October 2015
Sep 30th, 2015 at 1:26pm
Print Post  
The random letter was L this month.  I chose a very attractive L mineral and one that catches the eye of everyone that sees it.  Many people have nice examples of labradorite in jewelry or your rock collection somewhere so please post up your examples if possible.  Thanks!

Labradorite

Labradorite ((Ca, Na)(Al, Si)4O8), a feldspar mineral, is an intermediate to calcic member of the plagioclase series. It has an anorthite percentage (%An) of between 50 and 70. The specific gravity ranges from 2.68 to 2.72. The streak is white, like most silicates. The refractive index ranges from 1.559 to 1.573. Twinning is common. As with all plagioclase members, the crystal system is triclinic, and three directions of cleavage are present, two of which form nearly right angle prisms. It occurs as clear, white to gray, blocky to lath shaped grains in common mafic igneous rocks such as basalt and gabbro, as well as in anorthosites.

Occurrence

The geological type area for labradorite is Paul's Island near the town of Nain in Labrador, Canada. It has also been reported in Norway and various other locations worldwide.
Labradorite occurs in mafic igneous rocks and is the feldspar variety most common in basalt and gabbro. The uncommon anorthosite bodies are composed almost entirely of labradorite. It also is found in metamorphic amphibolites and as a detrital component of some sediments. Common mineral associates in igneous rocks include olivine, pyroxenes, amphiboles and magnetite.

Labradorescence

Labradorite can display an iridescent optical effect (or schiller) known as labradorescence. The term labradoresence was coined by Ove Balthasar Bøggild, who defined it (labradorization) as follows:
Labradorization is the peculiar reflection of the light from submicroscopical planes orientated in one direction (rarely in two directions); these planes have never such a position that they can be expressed by simple indices, and they are not directly visible under the microscope.
Contributions to the understanding of the origin and cause of the effect were made by Rayleigh (1923), and by Bøggild (1924).
The cause of this optical phenomenon is phase exsolution lamellar structure, occurring in the Bøggild miscibility gap. The effect is visible when the lamellar separation is between 128 to 252 nanometres (5.0×10−6 to 9.9×10−6 in); the lamellae are not necessarily parallel; and the lamellar structure is found to lack long range order.
Relationships between lamellar separation and chemical composition have been found for the An (Anorthite) content (calcium rich plagioclase) of the mineral.
Some gemstone varieties of labradorite exhibiting a high degree of labradorescence are called spectrolite.

The Wikipedia reference page:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labradorite

2015-09-30_1321.png ( 137 KB | 234 Downloads )
2015-09-30_1321.png

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Re: Labradorite - October 2015
Reply #1 - Sep 30th, 2015 at 1:34pm
Print Post  
Here's a nice example taken from mindat.org.

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

Wailele

RockHoundLounger

Reply #2 - Apr 8th, 2018 at 3:54pm
Print Post  
I purchased this from a Gem and Mineral show last year in San Jose, Ca. The way this piece lit up was hypnotizing and I couldn't help myself. Had to get it.

20180408_124011.jpg ( 7857 KB | 194 Downloads )
20180408_124011.jpg
20180408_123130.jpg ( 5622 KB | 175 Downloads )
20180408_123130.jpg

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #3 - Apr 8th, 2018 at 10:01pm
Print Post  
You aren't alone being bitten by that brilliant blue bug! Smiley

IP Logged

Karuna
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #4 - Apr 9th, 2018 at 9:43am
Print Post  
magical!  Cheesy

IP Logged

Rebecca
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #5 - Apr 9th, 2018 at 10:34am
Print Post  
so nice!
Isn't there a place in Canada or somewhere in the upper NE that has so much labradorite their buildings are made from it?
That would be so fantastical!

IP Logged

reload
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #6 - Apr 10th, 2018 at 1:19pm
Print Post  
There are many locations in the area around Mt. Marcy and a quarry near Blue Ridge NY.  Labradorite color changes from differing angles and is called the schiller effect. I built a fireplace  with it. You can also buy tile or counter tops made of it. They call it Blue Pearl.

IP Logged

Rebecca
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #7 - Apr 11th, 2018 at 11:37am
Print Post  
A fireplace!!!? Brilliant!

IP Logged

Laurie Adams

RockHoundLounger

Reply #8 - May 23rd, 2018 at 8:38am
Print Post  
https://www.facebook.com/AmazingGeologist/photos/a.398226493604029.92268.3982228...For its size, this is the finest Labradorite I have ever seen.               

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Reply #9 - May 23rd, 2018 at 4:24pm
Print Post  
Uh, yeah that is truly an amazing piece.  Shocked

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

Doug
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #10 - Jun 14th, 2018 at 2:40pm
Print Post  
Quick labradorite question if anyone has any thoughts on this:

I've found that when I put a bunch of mixed material in the rock tumbler, any labradorite in the batch usually seems to fail to polish up, even after all four stages / grit levels. Yet when there's both labradorite and moonstone among the material, the moonstone comes out fine. Since they're both feldspars and theoretically the same hardness, is there something else about labradorite that causes it to tumble so poorly? Is this something others have seen happen, or is it possibly something I'm doing wrong? Do I need to accumulate enough labradorite to tumble a batch of it on its own?

Thanks for any advice!

Doug

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #11 - Jun 14th, 2018 at 7:41pm
Print Post  
Yes, there is something else about labradorite, several things actually.
Whereas Moonstone is solid feldspar Labradorite has Micas, Hornblendes, and Augite in the mix. It is probably areas of these other minerals that are not taking the polish while the feldspar will.
Same species, different animals.

IP Logged

Doug
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #12 - Jun 19th, 2018 at 3:57pm
Print Post  
That makes sense. Thanks, Joe.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint