Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Union Road Agates? (Read 4619 times)
dinontom
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Union Road Agates?
Oct 29th, 2015 at 4:40pm
Print Post  
Still finding some interesting material up here in good ole Missouri.  Considering slabbing the agates and using for tiles on an outdoor table.  The geodes are gravy.

Whatdya think?

IMG_1617.jpg ( 141 KB | 120 Downloads )
IMG_1617.jpg
IMG_1622.jpg ( 95 KB | 132 Downloads )
IMG_1622.jpg
IMG_1633.jpg ( 110 KB | 135 Downloads )
IMG_1633.jpg
IMG_1653.jpg ( 93 KB | 139 Downloads )
IMG_1653.jpg
IMG_1687.jpg ( 91 KB | 151 Downloads )
IMG_1687.jpg
IMG_1694.jpg ( 73 KB | 133 Downloads )
IMG_1694.jpg
IMG_1712.jpg ( 150 KB | 126 Downloads )
IMG_1712.jpg

IP Logged

Tim4d
God Member

I like creeks & rivers
to do the digging for
me.

Re: Union Road Agates?
Reply #1 - Oct 30th, 2015 at 7:22am
Print Post  
All look nice. Are you thinking entire table top or as insets? Might want to fill voids with clear epoxy (the kind that pours and self levels) so they do not fill with dirt.

IP Logged

dinontom
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #2 - Oct 30th, 2015 at 12:10pm
Print Post  
I was thinking the same with regard to the epoxy.  It would also remove some of the need to polish to a mirror finish. 

As far as covering the entire table, yes. I have enough material to slab 1/4" thick slabs/medallions from the agates.  The table top is about 3' in Diameter, so there is a significant amount of space to cover.  If anyone has ideas or examples of similar projects I can look at, I would really appreciate you sharing!
Thanks in advance,

Tom

IP Logged

Tim4d
God Member

I like creeks & rivers
to do the digging for
me.

Reply #3 - Oct 30th, 2015 at 12:33pm
Print Post  
     I have given thought to such projects myself, for if and when I get the rest of my equipment rebuilt and a shed to work in.  I would want to experiment layouts -- keep the outlines natural, or trim to straight edges and try a "mosaic" effect?  I expect everyone on the RHL will want to see photos of your progress.  I bet we all have piles of rock that aren't cab-quality but could be used like this.
     About 15 years ago I used the clear epoxy product to help one of my sons build a model of a living cell for a school project.  We made a circular-ish mold, poured a layer of epoxy, placed light materials to represent cell parts, poured another layer, placed more parts and so on until we had a hockey-puck sized "cell" with 3-D array of cell components.  I was surprised how easy it was to work with the epoxy (that is after expecting it to be a real hassle), and the model turned out great.  No wonder so many restaurants use this stuff to cover tables (or buy the tables premade that way).

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Reply #4 - Oct 30th, 2015 at 1:37pm
Print Post  
Wow, those intense color contrasts!  Well done!  You could probably do whatever you wanted with that material and it would look good.   Cheesy

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

dinontom
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #5 - Oct 30th, 2015 at 2:28pm
Print Post  
Tim4D - I had planned on keeping the edges natural and had considered grouting the area between the slabs' edges.  Additionally, I thought I could even add some back-lighting to the table so that the translucence of the stones would create a "Glowing" table top.  I am not sure if that is taking it too far and might take away from the natural beauty of the stones or would accentuate them.  I will probably test on a piece of plexiglass before I secure any of the pieces.

I will definitely keep the forum in the loop as I progress, but it is not likely to see any real progress for a while.  There is a lot of stone to cut and polish and I need to build a new saw and vice.

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #6 - Oct 30th, 2015 at 10:56pm
Print Post  
Very unusual and fine looking agate geodes you're finding.
Thanks for the pics!
My vote is backlit. Wink

IP Logged

bhiatt
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #7 - Dec 28th, 2015 at 5:55am
Print Post  
I would love to look for the Union Road Agates. I have done a bit of research with google maps and I think I know where to look. Just got to get out there. I live in Troy, IL.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint