Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Kyanite - January 2016 (Read 6985 times)
Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Kyanite - January 2016
Jan 5th, 2016 at 12:22pm
Print Post  
Wow, December got away from me and I'm late on January.  Hopefully you can forgive me knowing that life gets a little hectic during the holidays.

The random letter drawn for today was K.  And since the color blue seems to be the worlds favorite color what better way to start the new year.  I know most of you North Carolinians have some great kyanite specimens so post em up so we can see!

Kyanite, whose name derives from the Greek word kuanos sometimes referred to as "kyanos", meaning deep blue, is a typically blue silicate mineral, commonly found in aluminium-rich metamorphic pegmatites and/or sedimentary rock. Kyanite in metamorphic rocks generally indicates pressures higher than four kilobars. Although potentially stable at lower pressure and low temperature, the activity of water is usually high enough under such conditions that it is replaced by hydrous aluminosilicates such as muscovite, pyrophyllite, or kaolinite. Kyanite is also known as disthene, rhaeticite and cyanite.
Kyanite is a member of the aluminosilicate series, which also includes the polymorph andalusite and the polymorph sillimanite. Kyanite is strongly anisotropic, in that its hardness varies depending on its crystallographic direction. In kyanite, this anisotropism can be considered an identifying characteristic.
At temperatures above 1100 °C kyanite decomposes into mullite and vitreous silica via the following reaction: 3(Al2O3·SiO2) → 3Al2O3·2SiO2 + SiO2. This transformation results in an expansion.

Uses
Kyanite is used primarily in refractory and ceramic products, including porcelain plumbing fixtures and dishware. It is also used in electronics, electrical insulators and abrasives.
Kyanite has been used as a semiprecious gemstone, which may display cat's eye chatoyancy, though this use is limited by its anisotropism and perfect cleavage. Color varieties include recently discovered orange kyanite from Tanzania.[citation needed] The orange color is due to inclusion of small amounts of manganese (Mn3+) in the structure.
Kyanite is one of the index minerals that are used to estimate the temperature, depth, and pressure at which a rock undergoes metamorphism.

Notes for identification

Kyanite's elongated, columnar crystals are usually a good first indication of the mineral, as well as its color (when the specimen is blue). Associated minerals are useful as well, especially the presence of the polymorphs of staurolite, which occur frequently with kyanite. However, the most useful characteristic in identifying kyanite is its anisotropism. If one suspects a specimen to be kyanite, verifying that it has two distinctly different hardness on perpendicular axes is a key to identification; it has a hardness of 5.5 parallel to {001} and 7 parallel to {100}.

Occurrence

Kyanite occurs in gneiss, schist, pegmatite, and quartz veins resulting from high pressure regional metamorphism of principally pelitic rocks.[citation needed] It occurs as detrital grains in sedimentary rocks.[citation needed] It occurs associated with staurolite, andalusite, sillimanite, talc, hornblende, gedrite, mullite and corundum.
Kyanite occurs in Manhattan schist, formed under extreme pressure as a result of the two landmasses that formed supercontinent Pangaea.

The Wikipedia source page:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyanite

2016-01-05_1221.png ( 92 KB | 190 Downloads )
2016-01-05_1221.png

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

Tim4d
God Member

I like creeks & rivers
to do the digging for
me.

Re: Kyanite - January 2016
Reply #1 - Jan 8th, 2016 at 11:01am
Print Post  
One of my better clusters after acid soak, scraping matrix, and neutralizing soak. For whatever reason the process left one side mostly stained. I like it that way because it sort of shows both before and after. Collected from Jessica Callan's Kyanite Paradise property, a new fee site, near Prospect, VA.

image_017.jpeg ( 2197 KB | 167 Downloads )
image_017.jpeg

IP Logged

Tim4d
God Member

I like creeks & rivers
to do the digging for
me.

Reply #2 - Jan 8th, 2016 at 11:15am
Print Post  
Scott, some feedback:  I posted the photo above from my iPhone.  On the phone, the photo is distorted, squeezed top to bottom and stretched left to right.  However, when I checked how it looked on a desktop computer running Internet Explorer, the photo is not distorted, but is rotated one turn counter-clockwise from original.

IP Logged

Tim4d
God Member

I like creeks & rivers
to do the digging for
me.

Reply #3 - Jan 8th, 2016 at 11:20am
Print Post  
Left this one as is.  Too scenic to harvest.  Kyanite Paradise, Prospect, VA.

IMG_9238.JPG ( 186 KB | 166 Downloads )
IMG_9238.JPG

IP Logged

Tim4d
God Member

I like creeks & rivers
to do the digging for
me.

Reply #4 - Jan 8th, 2016 at 11:22am
Print Post  
Source boulder from which I pried loose my best specimens.  Left behind for the next rockhound.  Kyanite Paradise, Prospect, VA.

IMG_9255.JPG ( 203 KB | 161 Downloads )
IMG_9255.JPG

IP Logged

Tim4d
God Member

I like creeks & rivers
to do the digging for
me.

Reply #5 - Jan 8th, 2016 at 11:34am
Print Post  
Scott, more feedback. The second and third photos loaded from desktop running IE. No problems viewing from same desktop computer. Viewing from iPhone, second photo is ok but third photo is rotated one turn clockwise and distorted.
   Could be the iPhone's fault because I have put off updating the operating system until I back up. When I get around to updating the phone, I'll post photos and see what happens.

IP Logged

L82Play

RockHoundLounger

Reply #6 - Jan 8th, 2016 at 11:42am
Print Post  
Hi,

Mine Creek has what I've been calling "blue" and "brown" kyanite.   I wonder if the "brown" kyanite should actually be called 'orange' kyanite cited in Scott's abstract?

If so, I stand corrected  Smiley

cheers,
r

KyaniteCombo1.JPG ( 764 KB | 188 Downloads )
KyaniteCombo1.JPG
FavKynite4_001.jpg ( 306 KB | 149 Downloads )
FavKynite4_001.jpg
Published1.JPG ( 1992 KB | 192 Downloads )
Published1.JPG

sung to the tune of 'Green Acres'
Erosion is the thing for me
I just don't like to dig - you see
Picking rocks up right off the ground
is good enough for this lucky old rockhound

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Reply #7 - Jan 11th, 2016 at 11:16am
Print Post  
Tim4d wrote on Jan 8th, 2016 at 11:34am:
Scott, more feedback. The second and third photos loaded from desktop running IE. No problems viewing from same desktop computer. Viewing from iPhone, second photo is ok but third photo is rotated one turn clockwise and distorted.
   Could be the iPhone's fault because I have put off updating the operating system until I back up. When I get around to updating the phone, I'll post photos and see what happens.

Thanks for the feedback Tim4d, I did take a look via my iPhone and see the exact thing you're talking about.  Hmm, I guess my site may not be as mobile friendly as it could be.  I'll look through the settings to see if there's something I can tweak.  Thanks again for letting me know.

Scott

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Reply #8 - Jan 11th, 2016 at 11:22am
Print Post  
L82Play wrote on Jan 8th, 2016 at 11:42am:
Hi,

Mine Creek has what I've been calling "blue" and "brown" kyanite.   I wonder if the "brown" kyanite should actually be called 'orange' kyanite cited in Scott's abstract?

If so, I stand corrected  Smiley

cheers,
r

L82Play, kyanite also occurs in a grey or colorless variety.  You can just type grey kyanite into Google and you'll see some good examples.  Here's also one from Romania I found on mindat.org:  http://www.mindat.org/photo-626444.html

That's some great kyanite you've found in mine creek.  Well done!

Scott

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

Collin

RockHoundLounger

Reply #9 - Jan 13th, 2016 at 11:14am
Print Post  
Here is a flat of some Kaynite from Cattail Creek, Burnsville NC (Yancey County)

This isn't my best stuff but the only pic I have on my phone. I'll try and post some more later!
-Collin

Kayanite1.JPG ( 81 KB | 186 Downloads )
Kayanite1.JPG

IP Logged

Tim4d
God Member

I like creeks & rivers
to do the digging for
me.

Reply #10 - Jan 13th, 2016 at 11:39am
Print Post  
Here is another specimen from L82Play's creek, a gift from Robert when he saw my paltry finds from an excursion a few years back. Now displayed at my desk side at work.

image_034.jpeg ( 1531 KB | 182 Downloads )
image_034.jpeg

IP Logged

Collin

RockHoundLounger

Reply #11 - Jan 22nd, 2016 at 1:07am
Print Post  
Burnsville, NC

1453442813850-1787263965.jpg ( 3753 KB | 155 Downloads )
1453442813850-1787263965.jpg

IP Logged

Collin

RockHoundLounger

Reply #12 - Jan 22nd, 2016 at 1:10am
Print Post  
Burnsville, NC

1453442978348-471784815.jpg ( 4620 KB | 164 Downloads )
1453442978348-471784815.jpg

IP Logged

Tim4d
God Member

I like creeks & rivers
to do the digging for
me.

Reply #13 - Jan 23rd, 2016 at 10:11pm
Print Post  
Excellent

IP Logged