Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Contrary Creek, VA (Read 9052 times)
zadzi
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Contrary Creek, VA
Mar 22nd, 2016 at 12:53pm
Print Post  
I was thinking of heading over to Contrary Creek sometime this week while it's nice out, in the Mineral area, not far from Louisa. All I am getting as info from looking online is gold, gold, gold, and I honestly have no interest in panning for it. I was hoping to find some cool rocks in the stream, and it looks like the water is very coppery in color.
Does anyone know anything about the rocks/minerals in the area? It's ore-heavy, I hear, and from what I've read, there were several old copper and sulphur mines in the area which are no longer around yet which feed the creek. Is it a lost cause? Is the area accessible at all? Is it highly policed because of the gold thing?
If anyone's got additional info, that would be wonderful ....

IP Logged

dave

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Re: Contrary Creek, VA
Reply #1 - Mar 22nd, 2016 at 9:29pm
Print Post  
The property is leased out by the following group.
http://www.ccprospectors.net/

I'm unaware of the specifics, but I believe you must coordinate with a member to become sponsored to be on the property.

It sounds bad, but i know several in the group and they are very open to helping those interested and helping out in any way they can.

Aside from the gold, there are very nice garnets to be found. Small but sharply formed almandine garnets in schist.

-Dave

IP Logged

zadzi
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #2 - Mar 23rd, 2016 at 10:27am
Print Post  
Oh wow.  Thanks, Dave. I didn't realize that was required....I just sent them an email and I guess we'll see.

IP Logged

zadzi
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #3 - Apr 1st, 2016 at 3:17pm
Print Post  
Anyone know anything about locating the people in charge of this? I went to the leasing site for sponsorship and put in an email a week and a half ago and still haven't had a response. I don't want to go out there and get in trouble, yet I haven't had anyone send back any kind of response....  Embarrassed

IP Logged

dave

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #4 - Apr 1st, 2016 at 9:24pm
Print Post  
they have a maintenance day scheduled for 4/23 so if you can hold out til then, that might be your best bet.

http://au-prospecting.com/gold1/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8329

-Dave

IP Logged

zadzi
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #5 - Apr 2nd, 2016 at 5:08pm
Print Post  
Thank you, Dave! I will try to contact them again and wait until the 23rd.... I really appreciate your help.

IP Logged

dave

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #6 - Apr 4th, 2016 at 11:16pm
Print Post  
I got this response from a lease member at Contrary Creek...

"You friend can go to CC any time he/she wants. VA laws are different then NC. He can enter the creek at the bridge on 522 and as long as their feet are in the water they are on public ground. The law says the normal high water line and that is about where the creek is now. Make sure he understands that it is not the flood high water line he will see up on the bank and the trees. The area upstream of the bridge is better for garnets from what I have been told. "

Sounds like have at it and head upstream of the bridge.

Enjoy!

IP Logged

zadzi
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #7 - Apr 6th, 2016 at 1:31pm
Print Post  
Dave, you are so awesome!! Thank you SO MUCH for the info, I really, really appreciate it!  Smiley

We were thinking of going up this weekend but it looks kinda nasty, somewhere in the 40s or something. Yuck. Maybe Monday or something. It's so great to know about the garnets too. Will make sure to take pics when we go and let you know what we find  Wink

...and thank you again!

IP Logged

zadzi
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #8 - Nov 1st, 2016 at 1:04pm
Print Post  
Just a quick update...I know it's been some time since I've posted here. Dave, thank you again for all the info.
We've been to Contrary Creek several times the past few months, and it's really quite a place - quite a diverse mix of minerals.
I intend on posting some pictures soon.

We found a ton of garnets, some nice quartz, and surprisingly some kyanite as well, embedded in quartz. A whole lot of other stuff - obsidian, magnetite, and a few things I don't even recognize  Grin

Met some nice people over there who were very helpful.... we didn't get to sign up as members since the weekend they were meeting for cleanup, we were out of town.

Thanks again!  Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint