Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic *** Burgin Mine dig date -- June 4th, 2016 *** (Read 6752 times)
Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

*** Burgin Mine dig date -- June 4th, 2016 ***
Apr 28th, 2016 at 3:10pm
Print Post  
Saturday JUNE 4th 2016

When:  Must arrive by 9 AM.
Where:  41002 South Stanley School Road, Norwood North Carolina 28128
What to bring:
Gloves, shovel, mattock, protective eye glasses, rock hammer, sledge hammer, chisels, hoe, 5 gallon buckets for collection, an umbrella or some sort of portable shade in case it's 200 degrees outside or if it rains.

Click below for the Google Maps exact location to the front gate leading into the mine area:
https://www.google.com/maps/dir//40766-40782+Old+Cottonville+Rd,+Norwood,+NC+281...

This is a scheduled dig at the Burgin quartz mine in Norwood North Carolina by the Tarheel Gem & Mineral Club.  They were nice enough to allow non-members to also attend.  There is a fee of $10 per person or $100 per day if 10 people are not in attendance.

Please join us, network with other rockhounds, mine some neat rock crystal (clear) quartz crystals, and have fun.

And here's a couple video's to let you know what I've found there.

« Last Edit: Jun 3rd, 2016 at 3:05pm by Scott LaBorde »  

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

Collin

RockHoundLounger

Re: *** Burgin Mine dig date -- June 4th, 2016 ***
Reply #1 - Apr 28th, 2016 at 4:23pm
Print Post  
Joe cracks me up running across  Grin

IP Logged

greel

RockHoundLounger

Reply #2 - Apr 28th, 2016 at 8:06pm
Print Post  
Thanks Scott and the Tarheel Gem & Mineral Club.  Looking forward to both days.

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #3 - Apr 29th, 2016 at 3:40pm
Print Post  
Yo Collin, hope to see you there on the 4th and we can act silly together. Wink

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Reply #4 - Jun 3rd, 2016 at 2:59pm
Print Post  
Looking forward to seeing all of you tomorrow at the Burgin Mine! Make sure to be there at 9am sharp with your $10.00 so you're not left at the gate wondering where to go for all you first time diggers at the Burgin.  If you get lost feel free to call or text me at:  919-961-8036.

See you there!!   Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

P.S. No one has expressed interest in spending the night and digging on Sunday so I did not arrange for it. If you were planning to do so, he may allow it if you ask, although he will not allow anyone to dig alone at the mine.

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

qtigress
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #5 - Jun 4th, 2016 at 9:48am
Print Post  
I am SO bummed, just realized I got my dates mixed up in my head and I was thinking this was  next weekend. Anyway, have fun hounds, looking forward to pics of what i missed

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #6 - Jun 5th, 2016 at 8:55pm
Print Post  
Well yes, I am sorry you missed out on a long,hot day of digging quartz with us and the chiggers.
Diggers and Chiggers! Smiley
But since it has been over a year since we have been to Mr. Burgins' it was time to take another look.
I was hoping the hogs he had in those fields had torn the place up rooting around
but I saw surprisingly little evidence of them. The place was pretty much how we left it.

Between The Tar heel Club and RHL members about 12 people showed up.
Half were gone by noon. It was Hot! The other half put in a pretty good day.
We didn't take many pictures, because it was hot, Sad, but here's a quick once around the place.
I forgot to take an "end of day" pic, but the last pic is where I was digging.
There were some nice small clay cracks and vugs running thru there with some nice clear crystals.
And it was in the shade by 1pm.
It was a good visit. Smiley

DSCN6941.JPG ( 340 KB | 129 Downloads )
DSCN6941.JPG
DSCN6939.JPG ( 371 KB | 119 Downloads )
DSCN6939.JPG
DSCN6942.JPG ( 365 KB | 127 Downloads )
DSCN6942.JPG
DSCN6946.JPG ( 319 KB | 112 Downloads )
DSCN6946.JPG
DSCN6943.JPG ( 439 KB | 134 Downloads )
DSCN6943.JPG

IP Logged

Collin

RockHoundLounger

Reply #7 - Jun 6th, 2016 at 10:47am
Print Post  
Nice Pics Joe!  Wish I could have joined but had a wedding to go to.  Looks like there is plenty of quartz for the next time!

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Reply #8 - Jun 6th, 2016 at 12:08pm
Print Post  
No problem Collin. The heat and humidity were pretty brutal that day which cut short many people's time there. Hopefully the next visit will be a little cooler. Definitely, always come with an umbrella or anything that will give you shade and/or protection from rain.

Thanks for the pictures Joe. I had brought all my camera gear prepared to do a time-lapse of the days events, but couldn't find a suitable stable place for the camera and then got too much into digging.  Tongue 

Teresa, it was good meeting you, and I'm very glad you got to come out and start cutting your teeth at Burgin.  I'm sorry it was so hot and that we didn't find the pocket of our dreams, but I hope you had some fun. Joe and I were very impressed that you stuck it through to the end working through that miserable heat -- you are an official hard core rockhound in our eyes! Well done! There are definitely some very nice pockets to be found there but we may need to convince Mr. Burgin to help us out by removing a lot of tailing piles away from the main outcrop. It would provide much greater access to areas we know that have produced many pockets in the past. I'll be working on that.  Hope to see you a future dig.

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

TheresaH
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #9 - Jun 7th, 2016 at 1:01pm
Print Post  
Thank you Scott.  It was a pleasure meeting you, Joe, Charlie and the rest of the Tarheel group that was there.  Thanks everyone for being so welcoming to this newbie and for sharing your knowledge with me.  I'm still trying to rehydrate from the experience, and I was only out there one day!  I learned a lot from you all.  I learned a lot from myself too.... like no matter how hot it is, do not remove your gloves when you are at Burgin Mine.  My blood stained pants from my dripping fingers are a testament to that lesson.  Speaking of pants...  I also learned that no matter how hot it is forecasted to be, never again be tempted to wear a lighter weight fabric than jeans.  My pants, with all their holes, are also a testament to that.  I had no idea when I was sitting in the dirt that tiny slivers of quartz were shredding the backside of my light, loose, comfy pants.  (I also had no idea that I was walking around all afternoon showing off my tighty whities...   LOL. )   Despite the heat, despite the cuts, despite the humiliation of walking into a store after the dig with holes in the buttocks of my pants, and despite going home with only one "find" (and that was generously given to me by Joe), I still can't wait to go at it again.....   Smiley     Thanks for the fun day.   Please let me know if you are aware of anything else coming up.  I'd love to dig with you all again.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint