Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Looking for NC serpentine chlorite with mica rough (Read 511 times)
gustav
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Looking for NC serpentine chlorite with mica rough
May 6th, 2016 at 1:56am
Print Post  
Hi,

I live in Iowa and would like to buy some serpentine chlorite with mica rough.  Moundbuilders used some of from NC (see attached pic).

I used to visit NC regularly while in the Navy 36 years ago  - love the bbq!

image_056.jpeg ( 38 KB | 53 Downloads )
image_056.jpeg

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Re: Looking for NC serpentine chlorite with mica rough
Reply #1 - May 6th, 2016 at 10:56am
Print Post  
Well hot dang, A Hawkeye! Smiley
Where abouts in the state are you, gustav? I'm from a little town in the southeast corner, Fairfield.
And I am assuming you hunt artifacts. If you're a rockhound in Iowa I guess you got two choices. Geodes or artifacts. Wink
Anyway, welcome to the board.

That material you are looking for comes from the mountains of NC. That's where the natives quarried the mica to trade. Some of the prehistoric quarry sites are recorded
but I have never explored any of them. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if material almost identical to what
you are looking for could easily be found in the vicinity today. It is not something people collect a lot of so it might be laying all around up there.
And another member of the board knows of a spot where he is finding a high grade serpentine called antigorite.
I'm not going to be able to get up to the mountains any time soon to poke around for any of what you're looking for, unfortunately,
but here in Wake County there is lots of good talc,ie; soapstone, with a lot of chlorite and mica in it.
Let me poke around the yard here and see what I can come up with.
In the meantime maybe one of our mountain members will reply.

Joe

IP Logged

Collin

RockHoundLounger

Reply #2 - May 6th, 2016 at 12:54pm
Print Post  
Hey Gustav!
I believe that I have what you are looking for!  There is an abandoned asbestos mine in Jackson County, NC.  It's called Addie's Chromite Prospect.  This is up in the mountains as Joe mentioned an is part of the Webster-Addie Ultramafic ring.

I've been collecting there since 2008 and try and stop by anytime I pass through.  Joe is also correct that there is tons of it laying around, I've spent most of my time looking for the Antigorite.

The good news, I have a box of common stuff that I think you might be interested in.  I'll take some pictures when I can and post them in here for you to look at. 

Cool stuff!  Thanks for posting  Wink
-Collin

IP Logged

Buckshot

RockHoundLounger

Reply #3 - May 6th, 2016 at 8:54pm
Print Post  
Gustav, that looks very similar to the ultramafic rocks on my property Treasure Valley here in Western North Carolina.  It's green with gold flecks in it which I take to probably be mica. It is very hard however until it breaks down through weathering or whatever word the geologists use.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint