Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Surface find at Lead Mine Rd. (Read 881 times)
Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Surface find at Lead Mine Rd.
May 23rd, 2016 at 11:01pm
Print Post  
This is one of the stranger things I've found at a construction site. I was surprised to find this in the middle of the construction site where the machines had already removed the top soil and exposed in situ earth.  Veins were present and visible nearby yet this thing "lies" there defying time and space, a strange anachronism in the most literal way. Perhaps a modern human carried this lapidary creation, a rockhound perhaps, and lost it just previous to my own encounter with it. Without a loupe we could not quite make out the inclusions we saw. The possibilities of how it came to be there were too numerous and hazy without a closer look. Back to the lab!

Excellent, now lets see what those inclusions look like.  Irregular bubbles it seems. No visible mineral inclusions.  There were several exposed bubbles or micro-vugs, for lack of a better word, on the surface of this piece and I magnified one of them. It appears that conchoidal fractures make up the walls of the exposed micro-vugs.

So what do you think?

z377.JPG ( 349 KB | 67 Downloads )
z377.JPG
z378.JPG ( 328 KB | 84 Downloads )
z378.JPG
wtfb.jpg ( 238 KB | 85 Downloads )
wtfb.jpg
z379.JPG ( 339 KB | 76 Downloads )
z379.JPG
wftd.jpg ( 232 KB | 71 Downloads )
wftd.jpg
z380.JPG ( 390 KB | 94 Downloads )
z380.JPG
wtfc.jpg ( 206 KB | 83 Downloads )
wtfc.jpg

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

L82Play

RockHoundLounger

Re: Surface find at Lead Mine Rd.
Reply #1 - Jul 14th, 2016 at 4:54pm
Print Post  
Hummm....very interesting rock looking object...if it is not from outer space or some weird alien life form, I'd say someone or something seems to have polished it and lost it.  Are you sure it's a rock?  I've found some stuff that looks like rocks in Mine Creek that turned out to be manufactured glass beads.  If it is definitely a rock, I'm more inclined to think the atmosphere burned it smooth or it went through some amazingly efficient rock tumbling process to come from mother nature.

...or could it be that third emerald I've been looking for in and around Leadmine Road? Grin

cheers,

sung to the tune of 'Green Acres'
Erosion is the thing for me
I just don't like to dig - you see
Picking rocks up right off the ground
is good enough for this lucky old rockhound

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint