Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Beginners Moonstone Cabbing (Read 1939 times)
zadzi
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Beginners Moonstone Cabbing
Nov 1st, 2016 at 1:17pm
Print Post  

We had collected a bunch of moonstone (a variety of it, I guess) from Morefield Mine last year and spent this past winter cabbing them and some other ones. I think they turned out alright. We unfortunately had gotten a flat cab, which has been harder to work with but it was cheaper and good for beginners.
Too bad the mine is closed this year, we really wanted to get more of this stuff.  Undecided

moon5.JPG ( 1029 KB | 101 Downloads )
moon5.JPG
moon7.JPG ( 1177 KB | 97 Downloads )
moon7.JPG
moon4.JPG ( 791 KB | 112 Downloads )
moon4.JPG

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Re: Beginners Moonstone Cabbing
Reply #1 - Nov 2nd, 2016 at 12:30pm
Print Post  
Very nice work even if it was with a flat lap.  That makes me want to go collect some to polish myself. Thanks for sharing!

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

zadzi
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #2 - Nov 2nd, 2016 at 8:55pm
Print Post  
I meant to say flat lap not flat cab  Grin

Thanks, Scott  Smiley
They're such awesome little pieces, you never know what you're going to get when you start working with a moonstone! Very hard to find ones though without really deep fractures, unfortunately though, and that's probably been my biggest issue.

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #3 - Nov 3rd, 2016 at 8:58pm
Print Post  
Beautiful stuff. I love the blue base color.
Never paid it enough attention on my few trips to Morefield.
But like you say, it can be real tricky to work. Might get a good cab once in a blue moon. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

zadzi
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #4 - Nov 5th, 2016 at 9:04pm
Print Post  
It's maddening, really! My favorite stuff at Morefield was the moonstone and amazonite... we got a couple of really good quality amazonite pieces, luckily. And there's also some gorgeous chrome diopside but only a little piece (will post that later too).
But really, this year they are completely closed to the public. They only did a very short stint of school tours and Nico , who works there, and also makes some beautiful jewelry as well, seems to be completely in the dark as to when/if they're opening again, unless he's being deliberately tight-lipped (understandable actually).
Someone else said that Sam is thinking of packing it in and moving to Alaska and buying... a gold mine  Shocked ?! Not sure if that's true or not but that's quite a thing.

IP Logged

Tim4d
God Member

I like creeks & rivers
to do the digging for
me.

Reply #5 - Nov 8th, 2016 at 9:43am
Print Post  
I have talked to Sam and Sharon in past few years, and Sam does speak of moving on to another adventure-- including Alaska gold. From his days as Alaska state geologist, he knows many of the miners on the TV shows. Sam also said there are other places in Virginia that pique his interest. I suppose it all depends if they an find a buyer for the Morefield.

IP Logged

Tim4d
God Member

I like creeks & rivers
to do the digging for
me.

Reply #6 - Nov 8th, 2016 at 9:47am
Print Post  
Zadzi, you really hit the gray-blue moonstone jackpot!  I found this piece on my first visit to Morefield Mine some 20 years ago. Have kept an eye out over numerous subsequent visits but never found more than two or three more. All depends on what's in the muck pile that day. 

image_071.jpeg ( 186 KB | 98 Downloads )
image_071.jpeg

IP Logged

Tim4d
God Member

I like creeks & rivers
to do the digging for
me.

Reply #7 - Nov 8th, 2016 at 9:52am
Print Post  
And nice job on the cabs!

IP Logged

zadzi
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #8 - Dec 1st, 2016 at 9:32pm
Print Post  
Thanks, Tim! ...Whoa, I love that silvery moonstone you've gone there.... !

I have to go through that old stash again and see if I missed any piece I could work with. This winter I really want to actually make the bezels for these. Last year we just went crazy with the cabbing and have an insane collection of stuff. This winter I've got to actually do something with it  Smiley

Interesting stuff about Sam and his plans, I had no idea he was so well-connected, but it's not surprising at all considering how long he's been in the business. I do hope maybe he'll reopen Morefield before he sells it entirely. I miss digging around in that place, they have an incredible variety of minerals.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint