Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Ray Mica Mine (Read 8417 times)
zadzi
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Ray Mica Mine
Nov 3rd, 2016 at 9:05pm
Print Post  
Thinking of hitting this place in a couple of weeks and was wondering what it's like. I've read articles and reports online but they're over 5-6 years old, often older, and I'm wondering if it's worthwhile. We're coming down from Virginia for a 3-4 day rockhounding excursion, thinking of hopefully checking it out along with Crabtree Emerald Mine. Yesterday I emailed Rick Jacquot from Crabtree since he's listed as the contact.

Has anyone got tips or something about Ray Mine since I'm not sure if they allow digging or if it's surface collecting only, or what the deal is. Don't want to get into trouble or end up with a handcuff souvenir for doing something wrong that I wasn't aware of Huh . Doing as much reading and research as I can about the place but it would definitely be great to know if there's some info someone would be willing to share.

Thanks in advance! 

IP Logged

zadzi
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Re: Ray Mica Mine
Reply #1 - Nov 4th, 2016 at 4:24pm
Print Post  
I think I got some more info about Old Ray - I don't think any digging is allowed around the banks or stream. If I don't hear back from Crabtree, I'm going to hit up Little Pine for some garnets instead. It looks like it's only an hour and a half away from Ray Mica.

Anyone wanting to add something, please feel free too

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #2 - Nov 4th, 2016 at 11:04pm
Print Post  
Sounds like a great trip. All 3 of those places are on the "must see" list of NC Rock History.
I haven't been to the Ray since hunting the creek is what you did. It was easy to see the rocks.
Apparently now, they don't want you to do that and have established a "designated digging area" up above the creek.
I have heard there are many mine tailings in this area to dig into finding beryl and kyanite.
But I really don't know if this designated area is still open.
The Ray is a big spread out area that would take a full day, or more, to get a feel for unless you go with someone that's been there before.

I like your idea of starting with Crabtree Emerald Mine. One of the prettiest spots in North Carolina
and the fact that it's an old emerald mine is a bonus! If you go to the Museum on McKinney Mine Road for directions and pay your entry
you'll want to get going early so you have time to look around there and still plenty of time at the mine.
Those little green emeralds can sometimes be hard to find anymore but there's all kinds of yellow and golden beryl and real pretty schorl tourmaline to be seen.
It's someplace you just want to see with your own eyes while you still can.

Same with the Little Pine, see it while you can. It's a beautiful drive over to it.
But it is a bit of a drive, so it would be hard to do all three mines in 3 days.
Ofcourse I'm slow, but I'd go to Crabtree and one other, and take my time, enjoy the scenery and save one for another trip.

The leaves are basically still green and just beginning to fall here, I wonder what it will be like up there?
I put a couple pics of specimens from the Crabtree to help give you an idea of what to look for.
First pic, on left is a piece with schorl tourmaline, which is everywhere, on right is a golden yellow beryl on matrix.
Second pic is how those little green emeralds will float thru just about anywhere. Smiley

DSCN0373.JPG ( 176 KB | 150 Downloads )
DSCN0373.JPG
DSCN0375.JPG ( 168 KB | 157 Downloads )
DSCN0375.JPG

IP Logged

zadzi
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #3 - Nov 5th, 2016 at 12:21pm
Print Post  
Wow, Joe, those are are beauties... I am especially loving that tourmaline, it's just gorgeous  Cheesy
I can't wait to check out the place, I love emeralds but I'm looking for just about anything I can use, really. I'd be happy with anything interesting which I can use/make jewelry with, and I'm a fan of slabbing too.

Thanks for the info....Ray Mine is a big question mark, but we definitely want to check out the area just out of curiously. Seems like a whole lot of ground to cover!

I'm more into checking out one area at a time too, and not bounding around -  think I might skip Little Pine this time around because I really don't want to drive out more than an hour at most. I'm going to try and find a couple more places within the area to nose around and see what we can find.

The leaves here in Richmond, VA just started changing very recently too... although the past two days has been pretty windy and they're starting to just fall. I've never gotten the hang of seasons, actually, having lived in California, Florida, and also New Orleans for a long time. This season thing just doesn't compute to me  Grin ... It looks like the weather might be in the low 50s when we go, which isn't bad.

I'll take some pics and post them, something I need to do more often. Most of the time we put our noses down to the ground and even forget to eat sometimes until the sun is going down Roll Eyes

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #4 - Nov 5th, 2016 at 4:01pm
Print Post  
I think that's a great idea! If you plan on the Crabtree and Ray,
and save the Little Pine for another trip, you will be staying in the same geologic terrane,
namely the Spruce Pine Pegmatite. Pegmatites are good places to find minerals.
You'll be able to fill up 3 or 4 days in that area no problem.
Yes, you can spend a long time looking at all the schorl at Crabtree.
Best of Luck! Sounds like a great time! Smiley

IP Logged

zadzi
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #5 - Nov 5th, 2016 at 9:10pm
Print Post  
I like how you phrase it, yes, it makes good sense geologically then, to do a pegmatite 'tour'.
I've looked up a few places but I think I might wing it with some locations entirely. Abernathy mine seems like another good option but apparently it's owned by a local hunter and I read that you need to put a note on the windshield of your car that you're going out there to rockhound and not trespassing and being an idiot or something.

IP Logged

zadzi
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #6 - Nov 6th, 2016 at 1:26pm
Print Post  
Looks like MAGMA's doing a field trip at Sharpes Emerald mine from Dec 2-4 next month, and we're probably going to join in. Synchronicity at its finest! Here I was thinking about how nice it would be to be around people at the mine who know what they're doing, and I find out about the trip today...! I'm so excited  Cheesy

IP Logged

zadzi
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #7 - Dec 1st, 2016 at 11:30am
Print Post  
Ah well, unfortunately we're in the process of moving and won't be able to drive down to NC and make it for the dig ... I'm so sad!  Cry

The good thing though is that it looks like Sharpes is going to be open to the public after this dig. Looks like some gorgeous tessin quartz is there.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint