Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Finding meteorites at your home (Read 3118 times)
BP
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Finding meteorites at your home
Dec 2nd, 2016 at 3:02pm
Print Post  
Meteorites. I watched a Youtube video on a technique to find some at home. I have always wanted to find one and today I think I did. This scientist on Youtube said to go to your gutter drains. I have extensions on mine to direct the water away from the house. The scientist empties all the drain contents into a container and took a magnet to the contents. He stated that most all meteorites will stick to a magnet. He found a very small meteorite in his drain contents. I did the same. He said that meteorites that have been on the ground a long time (not fresh falls) will exhibit rust. Fresh drops will have a black crust. All my shingle debris was emptied into a container the other day. Today, in a container, I shook the shingle contents that came out of the drain so the heavier particles would settle on the bottom. Little by little the lighter stuff would skim off the top. At the very bottom was a small rusty grain. I took a file to it, as the scientist did, an it proved to have a silvery interior, like iron meteorites do. The rust came off. I believe the small grain in the picture is a meteorite. The scientist stated that many, many meteorites fall to the earth not much bigger than a grain of sand and over the years, land on roofs of homes. BAM. I found one that had been found it's way down the gutter and into the debris I collected from one of my gutter drains. Fascinating!

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Re: Finding meteorites at your home
Reply #1 - Dec 2nd, 2016 at 10:19pm
Print Post  
I do appreciate you sharing this with us, BP.
I had heard that you were supposed to be able to do that, and not that having clean gutters is a bad thing,
I kind of dismissed the idea as making work more tedious than it needs to be. Wink
I'm glad there was fruit for your labor and you proved the proposition to be true!

But I gotta tell you, this is a perfect example of the kind of thing you rock deprived coastal plain rockhounds gotta due!  Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint