Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Howdy From Charlotte NC (Read 790 times)
Sherfire
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Howdy From Charlotte NC
Mar 28th, 2017 at 11:47am
Print Post  
Hey folks, got a few minutes here so I thought that I'd introduce myself.

When I was about 5 years old a gem and rock shop opened near my house in New Orleans - Johnny's Rock Shop was the name. I was fascinated by the minerals and fossils. In south Louisiana, there aren't any rocks, just mud. I had never seen anything like it and I fell in love. I started collecting minerals at that time.

Fast forward a couple of years and my Uncle Bill, who lived in Dallas TX at the time, took me to hunt for fossils in Texas. We found all kinds of stuff and I loved every second of it. We later made several other trips to hunt for fossils and gems. My rockhounding adventures ended after that. My teens and 20's were just work.

For a career I ended up pursuing my other passion which is music. Something that I still do today but now that I've been in NC for quite some time the bug has come back. I've been pursuing a degree in geology at UNCC and am about halfway through that. I've been digging around the area and doing a little gold prospecting. I'm passionate about gemstones though and not really as interested in placer gold mining.

I'm still a novice but I've been getting out quite a bit. I've been all over the Uwharrie and visited about 7 different known locations there. I've done some digging but haven't found anything to be super proud of. Mostly I've been exploring the geology by examining USGS strike data and then going into the field to examine those convergences. Also spend time locating dig sites that are referenced here and other places.

About to head out now and explore a place in Mecklenburg where I found a chunk of quartz crystal matrix laying on the ground a couple of years ago. Driving back and forth to Uwharrie almost every day is getting old quick. I need to move closer.  Grin

If anyone is looking for a partner I'm game. Willing to travel. Have tools. Cheesy With my work I have a lot of free time and I mostly work at home. My schedule is generally very flexible.

Glad I found this site. Heading over to the meeting at the rockhound club in Gastonia this evening. Maybe I'll see some of ya'll there?

IP Logged

VaRockLover
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Re: Howdy From Charlotte NC
Reply #1 - Mar 28th, 2017 at 1:37pm
Print Post  
Hey there it sounds like you are excited to join and get to meet some people in your area! Same here I am new here to the website but I would love to be able to plan a trip to NC sometime. There are a lot of good mining out there!  My mother actually is building a house not too far from Charlotte next summer, so this year Ill be in the area a lot checking out the property and taking pictures before they start construction.

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #2 - Mar 28th, 2017 at 3:54pm
Print Post  
So that's how you spell "Sherfire"! Smiley
Thanks for the introduction and congratulations on the pursuit of your interest and passion.
Sounds to me like you are doing everything right and we will probably be trying to pick your brain before long! The folks at the Gastonia Club should be able to share a lot of great info about that area.
If you're ever planning on being in the Capital City, give us a heads-up and we'll see if we can't meet up.
In the meantime, I hope you post some pics of some of your finds.

Welcome to the Board and Best of Luck,
Joe

IP Logged

Sherfire
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #3 - Mar 29th, 2017 at 10:19am
Print Post  
VaRockLover - There does seem to be a lot of good mining but it also sounds like options are getting somewhat limited. At least that's what I gleaned from the gem club meeting last night in Gastonia. I'd love to get myself west of the Mississippi where you have a lot more freedom and can even stake a claim.

JoeM - Thanks for the welcome. The club meeting was interesting and I met some characters while there. The speaker for the meeting was a fella, who's name I forget, that partially owns the Propst Farm. I guess the owner had died, the property was split up between heirs, and they decided that due to liability they would close the site. However, this gentlemen acquired about 3 acres and will be opening it up to a few folks to be worked. It's known for producing some nice corundum which were on display at the meeting.

Headin back up to the Uwharrie today to do some exploring. At some point I think that I need to pick a spot and start digging. Smiley

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Reply #4 - Mar 29th, 2017 at 3:18pm
Print Post  
Welcome Sherfire!  We share music as our other passion!  I've played guitar and keyboard for most of my life, and then picked up the drums 20 years ago.  Good to have another musician on RHL.  Cool

Yes, living close to where you hunt is very beneficial for a rockhound. Good luck hunting.  Hope to see your finds soon on RHL!  Cheesy

Scott

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

Tim4d
God Member

I like creeks & rivers
to do the digging for
me.

Reply #5 - Apr 6th, 2017 at 10:20am
Print Post  
Welcome to the Lounge.  Don't ever let anyone tell you an area or site is all picked over and there's nothing left.  Erosion happens all the time, and new material washes out.  Persistent rockhounds find new prospects near old prospects.  You are doing all the right things, and I agree we will all be looking forward to your findings and insights.  It's true that prospecting in the eastern U.S. is a whole different story than out west, but there is still gold in them thar hills, literally, because the east had its gold rush before the west.  With restrictive access at best to public lands in the east, versus the more open access (for now) in the west, your most valuable skills will be manners and the gumption to walk up to a landowner's front door and ask permission to collect rocks.  Best of luck!

IP Logged

Tim4d
God Member

I like creeks & rivers
to do the digging for
me.

Reply #6 - Apr 6th, 2017 at 10:23am
Print Post  
If you haven't already, check out U.S. Geological Survey publications search at https://pubs.er.usgs.gov/
Search for "Mica deposits of the southeastern Piedmont" and you will see separate links for Parts 1 through 11.  Many leads for rockhounds.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint