Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Prince William County, VA find (Read 3542 times)
Tim4d
God Member

I like creeks & rivers
to do the digging for
me.

Prince William County, VA find
Apr 24th, 2017 at 8:58am
Print Post  
The son of a "Virginia Rockhounds" Facebook page member found this over the weekend in a creek that empties into the Potomac River south of D.C.

IMG_5141.JPG ( 102 KB | 109 Downloads )
IMG_5141.JPG

IP Logged

Tim4d
God Member

I like creeks & rivers
to do the digging for
me.

Re: Prince William County, VA find
Reply #1 - Apr 24th, 2017 at 9:13am
Print Post  
He posted: "So yesterday we took a quick walk up our petrified wood creek. And doing our norm, all of us kinda spread out and i heard my son William start screaming!! INDIAN!! INDIAN! I GOT INDIAN!! And he holds this up! Unreal." He gave it an attribution and others differed in the comments, so what say you?

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #2 - Apr 24th, 2017 at 6:50pm
Print Post  
Well yes, tim, I can see how this "baseless" artifact could be a conundrum to some and a point of contention to others.
First of all, the merciless patina and rounding of having been in or near a creek all this time has all but erased some helpful tell-tales, even if you were holding it in your hand.
And the first question would be; Is the base broken or missing?
This is one place the patina makes it more difficult to see if the base has been snapped off or is just chipped like that.
I don't think it was a cache blade and purposely left like that. The edges have been retouched, worked and finished. And I don't think it was made as a lanceolate type. It is too narrow and thin looking.
I think the base is missing.
If the base is missing then you can't really type it for sure. It could have a lot of different types of bases. What you got to look at to get a good idea of what it may have been is the shoulders, and there aren't any. Very slight rounding of the point to the base. Many types of points with bases will have straight or angled notches at the shoulders. These shoulders taper so slightly it is hard to say if there was a base or if this is a lanceolate form.
How much older does the extreme patina make it look and what is the material? Big factors.
Looks like it might be made from the same siltstone argillite or rhyolite used around here.
I don't think it was a Morrow Mountain/ Stark/ Poplar Island type. It doesn't look thick enough.
And I don't think it had a bottom like the one I pictured below, but I have seen those type with narrow necks and small bases that can easily snap off.
Because of where it was found I would have to type it as a broken Orient Fishtail, circa 1230 - 763 BC.
Sorry, I don't have a good pic of the Orient Fishtail. (Crazy name for a projectile point!)
What it is now is a "point" that kid will remember finding the rest of his life! Wink

DSCN4589.JPG ( 197 KB | 121 Downloads )
DSCN4589.JPG

IP Logged

Tim4d
God Member

I like creeks & rivers
to do the digging for
me.

Reply #3 - Apr 24th, 2017 at 8:46pm
Print Post  
Thanks, Joe. I will send your comments to the dad.

IP Logged

Tim4d
God Member

I like creeks & rivers
to do the digging for
me.

Reply #4 - Apr 25th, 2017 at 1:08pm
Print Post  
The finder's dad original post stated this: "... Early to mid archaic period. Thats 8000 to 2000 b.c.! He was so freakin excited. AWESOME, AWESOME find."  He didn't say how he based that attribution.

IP Logged

Tim4d
God Member

I like creeks & rivers
to do the digging for
me.

Reply #5 - Apr 25th, 2017 at 1:10pm
Print Post  
Then another person chimed in saying it was Clovis. Well even an amateur like me can see the find has a base to tip taper, unlike the more parallel shape of the Clovis.

IP Logged

Tim4d
God Member

I like creeks & rivers
to do the digging for
me.

Reply #6 - Apr 25th, 2017 at 2:18pm
Print Post  
Not to pretend I know anything about artifacts, but I did some quick googling, and Orient Fishtail seems to fit _except_ for two outliers: 1) Virginia is at the extreme edge of distribution, and 2) at about 119mm in length, the point in question exceeds the 45 to 82mm size range, even more if the base was broken off. I estimated the length based on the penny in photo.  I suppose new finds can change the previously accepted parameters, but this one won't without its base.

IP Logged

Tim4d
God Member

I like creeks & rivers
to do the digging for
me.

Reply #7 - Apr 25th, 2017 at 2:58pm
Print Post  
Here is a new photo.

IMG_5142.JPG ( 330 KB | 121 Downloads )
IMG_5142.JPG

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #8 - Apr 25th, 2017 at 5:50pm
Print Post  
oh yeah, that's a lot bigger than I thought it was looking at the first pic. And it's not as "finished" asĀ  I thought it was.
Definitely puts it out of the Orient Fishtail range, and of course it is not a Clovis.
It could be a preform or blank and was never finished, so the base was never there to begin with, but either way you still can't type it without the base. Even if it was a Guilford they wouldn't leave the base unfinished like that unless the whole blade was unfinished. And right above the base, on either side, there is the slightest of indentation that could be where the shoulders were and that would indicate the bottom snapped off and is totally missing.

I agree with Dad, about all you can say is a range, and Early to Mid Archaic looks right.

IP Logged

Tim4d
God Member

I like creeks & rivers
to do the digging for
me.

Reply #9 - Apr 26th, 2017 at 2:20pm
Print Post  
Thank you.  I will pass it along.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1